10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2007 7:40 PM by doyl8031@bellsouth.n

Info on IE Update For Active X

dsmflash
      I've spent the last 7 grueling days trying to make my swf's play on my website. I'm using IE 7, Vista, Dreamweaver and Flash Pro 8. I've inserted the fix HTML in my doc where i want the swf, uploaded the HTML doc, the swf, and .js file all in the same directory, and, what do you know, it DOESN'T work, just like so many and many other supposed fixes. I would settle for my users having to click to activate the control, but there is a big white box where my swf should be. I've done everything perfectly and I know how to place a swf in Dreamweaver. I've also read every tech not from Adobe, tried every code and fix on the net till I was blue and red in the face. I've been in every forum and everybody and their brother has forwarded me tutorials on how this is fixed and none work. Everybody tries to make it sound easy to get around the update, but as you know, if it sounds too good to be true...
      The cold hard facts here are that Uncle Bill has stuck it to us and were screwed for now. IE 7 will not play swfs and I have scraped the Flash sites I was working on and told my client's that its HTML only for now.
      I just wanted to save anyone time who is trying to get around this fix. In addition, I sincerely wish the every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they are the professor from Gilligan's Island would quit writing tutorials and confusing everybody.
      Hope this info helps.
        • 1. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
          Level 7
          Post a link to a swf that doesn't play, please.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"dsmflash" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f8vont$hlg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've spent the last 7 grueling days trying to make my swf's play on my
          > website.
          > I'm using IE 7. I would settle for my users having to click to activate
          > the
          > control, but there is a big white box where my swf should be. I've done
          > everything perfectly and I know how to place a swf in Dreamweaver. I've
          > also
          > read every tech not from Adobe, tried every code and fix on the net till I
          > was
          > blue and red in the face. I've been in every forum and everybody and
          > their
          > brother has forwarded me tutorial on how this is fixed and none work.
          > The cold hard facts here are that Uncle Bill has stuck it to us and were
          > screwed for now. IE 7 will not play swfs and I have scraped the Flash
          > sites I
          > was working on and told my client's that its HTML only for now.
          > I just wanted to save anyone time who is trying to get around this fix.
          > In
          > addition, I sincerely wish the every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they
          > are
          > the professor from Gilligan's Island would quit writing tutorials and
          > confusing
          > everybody.
          > Hope this info helps.
          >

• 2. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
            Level 7
            Converting active content
            Dreamweaver repairs web pages that contain active content-content that
            requires users to click on it in order to interact with it in the latest
            versions of Internet Explorer. Active content can include:

Adobe® Flash®, Adobe® Flash® Video, or Adobe® FlashPaperT content

Shockwave® or Authorware® content

Java applets

Real Media content

QuickTime content

Custom ActiveX controls

Other ActiveX controls or plug-ins

Whenever you open a page in Dreamweaver, the page is scanned for active
            content. You are then presented with one of three options, depending on the
            type of active content in your page.

If your page includes active content embedded with object tags, and those
            object tags contain only param tags and/or embed tags, then Dreamweaver
            offers to convert all of the active content on the page for you.

If your page is the same as the above, but also includes active content
            embedded with object tags that contain other kinds of tags, then Dreamweaver
            offers to convert only the object tags that contain param tags and/or embed
            tags.

If your page includes only active content embedded with object tags that
            contain more than just param tags or embed tags, then Dreamweaver gives you
            a warning message and tells you that it cannot convert these tags.

Clicking Yes in either of the first two Convert Active Content dialog boxes
            locates existing object tags that contain param tags and/or embed tags,
            wraps those object tags in noscript tags, and adds script tags that enable
            the expected functioning of active content by calling JavaScript functions
            in an external file. Dreamweaver creates this external file
            (AC_RunActiveContent.js) and places it in a new folder (called Scripts, at
            the root of your site) when you save the updated file. You must upload the
            AC_RunActiveContent.js file when you upload the updated page, either
            manually or by clicking Yes in the Dependent Files dialog box.

Note: When inserting an Active X object in a document, Dreamweaver creates
            two external files: AC_RunActiveContent.js and AC_ ActiveX.js. You must
            upload both files when you upload the updated page, either manually or by
            clicking Yes in the Dependent Files dialog box.
            Dreamweaver only adjusts object tags, and does not adjust independent embed
            or applet tags that might have been used to insert active content in older
            pages (however, embed tags wrapped inside object tags are adjusted by
            wrapping the object tag). If your web pages contain embed or applet tags,
            you should convert those tags to object tags, and then open those pages so
            that Dreamweaver can perform the conversion for you. You can easily locate
            embed and applet tags in your web pages by conducting a search.

The feature is extensible and allows you to use third-party extensions to
            convert web pages that might use specific kinds of plug-ins (for example,
            RealPlayer or Windows Media Player content).

You can also access the Convert Active Content feature by selecting File >
            Convert > Active Content.

Note: Active content must be updated on a page-by-page basis; you cannot
            update all of the pages in a site at once. It's best to do a site-wide
            search for object tags, open the pages containing those tags, and let
            Dreamweaver repair the pages.
            For more information on active content, visit
            www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/.

news:f8vont$hlg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I've spent the last 7 grueling days trying to make my swf's play on my
            > website.
            > I'm using IE 7. I would settle for my users having to click to activate
            > the
            > everything perfectly and I know how to place a swf in Dreamweaver. I've
            > also
            > read every tech not from Adobe, tried every code and fix on the net till I
            > was
            > blue and red in the face. I've been in every forum and everybody and
            > their
            > screwed for now. IE 7 will not play swfs and I have scraped the Flash
            > sites I
            > I just wanted to save anyone time who is trying to get around this fix.
            > In
            > addition, I sincerely wish the every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they
            > are
            > the professor from Gilligan's Island would quit writing tutorials and
            > confusing
            > everybody.
            > Hope this info helps.
            >

• 3. Info on IE Update For Active X
              dsmflash Level 1
              This is one of the issues that I am addressing. I installed the update and it didn'nt take. It said loaded successfully, but I have none of the Dreamweaver Active Content feature you are talking about. I've uninstalled, rebooted, and wore bras on my head in an attempt to get this to work.
              I don't know how everyone is getting the Acitve Content features in Dreamweaver, but I'm not a hack and i don't know programming, so more power to those guys.
              Thanks for the informative reply anyway. By the way, the page that is supposed to have the swf in it is The site technically is not up yet, just two pages for testing. I'm just going to do a good ol' static page. God bless static web pages! www.bentlysentertainment.com/menu.html
              • 4. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                Level 7
                Here are instructions for CS3
                open your menu.html page in Dreamweaver
                Select......... File > Convert > Active Content

I really can't remember if it is the same for DW 8, if your using that ver.
                take a look, if not available look in help files using "active content" as
                the search term.

Good luck

Jeff

news:f90n8u$lnd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > This is one of the issues that I am addressing. I installed the update
                > and it
                > didn'nt take. It said loaded successfully, but I have none of the
                > Dreamweaver
                > Active Content feature you are talking about. I've uninstalled, rebooted,
                > and
                > wore bras on my head in an attempt to get this to work.
                > The only thing I'm trying to do now is get the word out that trying to
                > outsmart Uncle Bill is a pipe dream.
                > I don't know how everyone is getting the Acitve Content features in
                > Dreamweaver, but I'm not a hack and i don't know programming, so more
                > power to
                > those guys.
                > Thanks anyway. By the way, the page that is supposed to have the swf in
                > it is
                > http://www.bentlysentertainment.com/menu.html The site technically is not
                > up
                > yet, just two pages for testing. I'm just going to do a good ol' static
                > page.
                > God bless static web pages!
                >

• 5. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                  Level 7
                  Does this Technote apply to you?
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=785362aa

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:f90n8u$lnd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > This is one of the issues that I am addressing. I installed the update
                  > and it
                  > didn'nt take. It said loaded successfully, but I have none of the
                  > Dreamweaver
                  > Active Content feature you are talking about. I've uninstalled, rebooted,
                  > and
                  > wore bras on my head in an attempt to get this to work.
                  > The only thing I'm trying to do now is get the word out that trying to
                  > outsmart Uncle Bill is a pipe dream.
                  > I don't know how everyone is getting the Acitve Content features in
                  > Dreamweaver, but I'm not a hack and i don't know programming, so more
                  > power to
                  > those guys.
                  > Thanks anyway. By the way, the page that is supposed to have the swf in
                  > it is
                  > http://www.bentlysentertainment.com/menu.html The site technically is not
                  > up
                  > yet, just two pages for testing. I'm just going to do a good ol' static
                  > page.
                  > God bless static web pages!
                  >

• 6. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                    JimboSun
                    Concerning the whole Active Content ordeal. The only way that I have been able to get an swf or an flv to play on the web is to REMOVE the AC_RunActiveContent script from the page. I was fortunate enough to come across a company called Softery.com (flash solver) while I was surfing the web. When I include this folder in my HTML folder and 'ask' it to fix my page, it does so and there is no need to click twice to view in IE7.

Good Luck Check out www.danceconmigo.com for proof!

• 7. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                      Level 7
                      I have never had any problems with the DW method. But thanks for the link!

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

"JimboSun" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:f94shv$e4b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Concerning the whole Active Content ordeal. The only way that I have been
                      > able
                      > to get an swf or an flv to play on the web is to REMOVE the
                      > AC_RunActiveContent
                      > script from the page. I was fortunate enough to come across a company
                      > called
                      > Softery.com (flash solver) while I was surfing the web. When I include
                      > this
                      > folder in my HTML folder and 'ask' it to fix my page, it does so and there
                      > is
                      > no need to click twice to view in IE7.
                      >
                      > Good Luck Check out www.danceconmigo.com for proof!
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                        JimboSun Level 1
                        This might be a difficult question to answer Murray ACE, but considering how many people are having problems with this, how come you aren't? What web hosting service are you using? Have you tried different ones? I have tried it here in Montreal on a free Web Hosting Service (Videotron, the phone and internet company - it's a free web hosting service) and the flash videos and swf work. But not in the real world. Any thoughts?
                        • 9. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                          Level 7
                          dsmflash wrote:
                          > I've spent the last 7 grueling days trying to make my swf's play on my website.
                          > I'm using IE 7. I would settle for my users having to click to activate the
                          > everything perfectly and I know how to place a swf in Dreamweaver. I've also
                          > read every tech not from Adobe, tried every code and fix on the net till I was
                          > blue and red in the face. I've been in every forum and everybody and their
                          > screwed for now. IE 7 will not play swfs and I have scraped the Flash sites I
                          > I just wanted to save anyone time who is trying to get around this fix. In
                          > addition, I sincerely wish the every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they are
                          > the professor from Gilligan's Island would quit writing tutorials and confusing
                          > everybody.
                          > Hope this info helps.
                          >

lots of people are also having problems because their site is hosted on a Windows server, and lots
                          of windows server do NOT recognize .flv files. So even if your flash file is correctly embed via the
                          latest Dreamweaver or other method dealing with IE7, it will be a blank movie because the hosting
                          server does not know the .flv extension and ignores the link to the flv.
                          That's another one of Bill Gates tricks to wage war against Adobe.

--
                          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design

An Ingenious WebSite Builder: http://sitelander.com
                          • 10. Re: Info on IE Update For Active X
                            doyl8031@bellsouth.n
                            Newbie here, and have a quick question.

I played with a flash intro and got it to work with the AC_RunActiveContent.js and other files. I loaded to the website and worked perfectly. UNTIL....

I'm using a Mambo based CSM. So in order to create a splash page, I could not use the files in the root directly due to the HTML file can not be labeled index.html. So I had to trick the system and created two templates and assigned one as my landing page for the flash file.

So here is the problem: I moved the .js, .html, .swf files into this new template folder. BUT, I have to pull the flash files inside a .php file with this tag <?php
                            include ('./template/splash-page.html');
                            ?> within my .php page (my landing page) I did this for all the files.

The page tries to load but IE is giving me a pop up error message that I need the Active content.js file. And asked my to run this .js file to my HTML output folder.

Any tips on what I need to do with these files would be mucho appreciated. I have been trying for 5 days now on this supposedly simple project.