5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 6:46 AM by Colin Brougham

Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?

sciulli999 Level 1

I have a sequence of 80 or so photos that play very fast and create an animation.

Can I select all the photos and merge them together into a video clip so I can apply video effects and do a fade in for more than 2 frames?

• 1. Re: Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?
          sciulli999 Level 1

If anyone wants to know, you put a all black graphic on video track two and put a cross fade on the right side of the black graphic. Stretch it all the way to the start of the clip and it acts as a fade in.

• 2. Re: Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?
            shooternz Level 6

Not sure why you would do it that way!

Why not apply a Fade to the first image in the sequence?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You could also select all the clips/images in your sequence, right-click on them, and select Nest. This will put all the clips in a new sequence, and nest that one in your original sequence. At that point, it functions as a single clip. You can then add your fade and make it as long as you need to.

Your method is good, though, and is the best way to fade in or fade out when you're using multiple tracks.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?
                sciulli999 Level 1

Shooternz, I did it that way because honestly I had no idea how. I found a tutorial online and that's how someone did it. It works, so I guess why not? I've only been using Premiere for ~1.5 months or so now (other than that, editing 2 videos on FCP are my only experience on modern day non-linear editors). I'm slowly learning that Premiere is similar to Photoshop in that there are multiple ways to get the same result.

Colin, will doing the method you described allow me to apply video effects to the photos as a whole group?

• 5. Re: Can you turn the photos in a slideshow into a video clip?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Colin, will doing the method you described allow me to apply video effects to the photos as a whole group?

That's correct. The nested sequence essentially functions as one clip, so you can edit it, transform it, add effects or transitions, or do any other operation that you'd do on a single clip unit. For example, if you need to move your series of photos somewhere else in your sequence, you'd have to select all of them; if they're nested, you just have to click one big target to move them.

I think Craig (shooternz) misunderstood your question, and assumed you just wanted to fade up the first photo, but you're talking about fading up over a longer duration, and multiple images. He had the right answer to a different question