6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 4:25 AM by frozen tundra

Layered PSD revision

frozen tundra

We use layered photoshop files in our AE compositions.

When a revision is made to the photoshop file we have to save the revised photoshop file the same name so that AE does not lose the link to the layers.

This causes a problem tracking revision made to the layered photoshop file.

Is there a way to update a layered  photoshop file and change the name of the photoshop file without breaking the link in AE?

• 1. Re: Layered PSD revision
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not simply do a save as before you import into AE. Make that copies name unique.

IOW, original file: myAEprojectR1.psd

Before you start working in AE save the file with the new name myAEproject_active.psd

When you make revisions save the myAEprojectR1.psd as myAEprojectR2.psd then save that file as MyAEproject_active.psd and use that one in AE.

Does that make sense. It's the way that I work.

I also maintain exactly the same file structure for all projects. It goes like this:

• Project Name (the project folder)
            • Docs
              • A folder for my project notes, copies of e-mails, sketches and time sheets
            • Master Assets
              • A folder for all original source materials, PSD, AI, JPG, etc. except audio and video assets
            • Video
              • A folder for my original footage
            • Audio
              • A folder for original audio
            • Pre-renders
              • You guessed it, a folder for pre-rendered footage
            • Versions
              • Project Files (a folder for my project file versions (.aep, pproj, fcp, etc))
              • Revised Assets (a folder for my revised asset files (myAEproject_R1, R2, etc)
            • Renders
              • All final renders go here

Project Files are next, not in a folder of their own

This technique works for every project that I work on involving video or images or sound files. It makes archiving or moving projects a snap.

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Layered PSD revision
              frozen tundra Level 1

Rick Thanks for the quick response.

We are doing essentially the same work around.

We use  myName_ae.psd for the live file and myName_v2.psd

for the revised file.

There are several problems with this approach and potential confusion when a job is picked up to be rerun.

You can't change the name to be myNEWprojectName_ae.psd  So if there is a new project the file will

have to honor an old name.  Additonaly going forward I will have multiple projects that refer to files with the

same name but are actually different files.  It creates a logistical nightmare. 

Additionally we have a studio of artists who have to follow the strict revision/naming protocol.

• 3. Re: Layered PSD revision

You could drop the revised files in a revision folder along with a revision project file.

The only other option I can think of is to use the collect files option for revisions and put them in unique folders.

• 4. Re: Layered PSD revision

You could drop the revised files in a revision folder along with a revision project file.

The only other option I can think of is to use the collect files option for revisions and put them in unique folders.

You might also look into Gridiron Flow.  It's what I use to track, manage and package everything we do. You can set up flow to keep track of versions for you and it runs silently in the background. It's also a great time and resource tracking solution.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 5. Re: Layered PSD revision
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You're throwing together several unrelated things. AE has no problem mass-replacing items if they come from the same source, including PSDs - you pick one layer and AE will pick up the rest. Now here's the deal: It only does so, if the files have been registered as missing before. So ultimately, you need to hide the files from AE's view and that, by all means, can be simply done by renaming them. On the contrary, your insistance on using specific sibling files for AE under the assumption that they must never be renamed works against you here. This also includes your ability to go back and forth, as personally I find your naming convention quite impractical or even sloppy. If it's that important, include pertinent info in the file name. 2010-07-30_file_005_Mylenium.psd is clearly more telling than just naming it _ae and hoping for the best. This can only end up in file_ae_newer_than_the_newest.psd naming at one point and than nobody knows the current state anymore. The same applies to everything inside the PSD. There should be no problem whatsoever to give your layers more meaningful names rather than just calling them copy (1) to copy (X). If you need more deep dependency tracking, then look into asset management systems. In the adobe world, Grid Iron Flow is the most elegant and no worries way of doing that in an automated manner, other systems work with explicit check-in/ check-out and require a specific infrastructure which may be beyond your needs.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                    • 6. Re: Layered PSD revision
                      frozen tundra Level 1

We are not having problems replacing missing files.

The problem we are having is that if we rename the photoshop file, then the AE project loses the link to the layers.  You can not simply relink one layer

and have AE find the rest like you do with missing files.

We would like to rename the PSD file when it is revised to help keep our revisions organized.

Thank you for the pointer to Gridiron. We will take a look at it.  It may not solve all our problems but it looks like it could be helpful in our studio environment.