6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 6:46 AM by jfb00

Flex with multiple programmers

jfb00 Level 3

Hi All,

How can I built an application using flex with multiple programmers?

App will have a menu with 10 items, each developer will work in one item at the time an test.

We are using coldfusion 8 and flex 3.5 sdk. Version manager to track our app development.

This is what I try and I don't know if this is the right way.

I create an web interface with log and menu options using coldfusion using custom tags and css. I was able to call a flex app from one of my option menu from a cfm page. My idea is to put each developer app in a different folder and do the calls.

Each flex app folder will have my assets, cfcs, history folders plus AC_OETags.js, framework.swf, myApp.cfm, myApp.html, and myApp.swf.

Oh, I was able to separate the framework from my app usingRSL in flex 3 but now I'm using flex builder 4 with 3.5 sdk, i hope it works the same ??

Question:

Every time I upload a menu option, my app will load the framework? It's a way to share all an put only my swf files in a folder? so they can share the same cfc and assets folders.

It's a better way to do this?

I hope this is clear. Thanks in advance!

Johnny

• 1. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

You should google these terms:

SVN , Subclipse , Mercurial , Git.

Don't listen to the hype and these "I don't use a framework" hipsters , be responsible and use a framework , such as Mate , Swiz , RobotLegs.  Trust me , it will save you some trouble , especially when your view classes begin to stack up 5 layers deep and still have dependencies.

In addition , you should have someone on your team who is aware of architecture principles that don't revolve around the singleton.  Other than that , have fun.

Sincerely ,

Ubu

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
            Ansury Level 3

Subversion (SVN) and Subclipse for source control to keep in sync, you probably don't need anything more (SVN is both free, common/industry standard, and mature which is more than you can say about Mercurial and Git).

Framework choice (or lack of one) is something that may vary based on application requirements.  Do those 10 or so parts talk to one another or are they somewhat standalone?  Are they complex (almost a sub-application themselves) or fairly simple CRUD submodules?  If you do choose to use a framework, in my judgement people are moving away from boilerplate-ish frameworks like Cairngorm towards more flexible ones like Swiz (I'd highly recommend Swiz for dependency injection).  Actually even someone who doesn't want to use a 'framework' shouldn't mind using Swiz, you don't have to use the full architecture in the examples--you could just use the [Inject] DI tag for example.

FB4 + 3.5 should work fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upload a menu option" and loading the framework.  Your application swf file shouldn't be checked into source or shared at all, it should be built locally when the project is compiled.  What I usually do with the template files like myApp.html, AC_OETags.js, etc is copy them into a static folder which is used as a source for Ant builds (Flex ant tasks).  You don't want anything that's generated automatically by FB to be checked into source control since it'll want to keep uploading those files over and over, you'll see 'conflicts' and such.  It's important to get SVN to ignore any temporary/compiled or generated files.

If all your devs are working on mostly non-dependent pieces all the way up to the database, it should be pretty easy staying in sync using SVN as long as nobody breaks the build since nobody is changing the same files as another.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
              jfb00 Level 3

Thanks all for reply and help.

Subversion (SVN) is like our version manager that it works with eclipse and we can keep tracking versions or it's anything different?

Flex create one big swf file per all the app, correct? that's why I want to separate each option of my menu app in a small swf and keep each developer working on that part or I'm wrong?

My folder app looks lik this:

MyAppFolder

assets

css

images

js

cfcs

customTags

template.cfm -->here is my menu options defined

includes

option1Flex  --> Here is my flex app that one developer will be working

assets

history

AC_OETags.js and all the files for flex project

myOption1.swf

myOption1.cfm --> This file is call from option1 in my menu, it keeps my template format (the code is similar like html file)

option2Flex  --> Here is another flex app that another developer will be working

assets

history

AC_OETags.js and all the files for flex project

myOption2.swf

myOption2.cfm --> This file is call from option2 in my menu, it keeps my template format (the code is similar like html file)

application.cfc

index.cfm

Option1Flex will use the same assets and cfcs folder that it is in main root and under each flex option folder. It's a way to set a commun folder under flex?

We are not using only flex. It's a better way to do this?

I hope this is clear and can help me to picture this in a better way. I will look into Swiz now.

Regards

Johnny

• 4. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
                jfb00 Level 3

Ok I figure this out if anyone would like to see my solution.

Basically I put all in one app folder like before but also all the swf files from each developer.

MyAppFolder

assets

css

images

js

cfcs

customTags

template.cfm -->here is my menu options defined and I will call each cfm file that contain the call for swf file.

includes

application.cfc

index.cfm

myOption1.swf

myOption1.cfm

myOption2.swf

myOption2.cfm

Each developer will create a local app pointing to the output folder of my IIS folder like C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyAppFolder.

With Version Manager developercan get all (files and folders) from my web server to local IIS folder.

Developers can get into their assets and cfc folders the files from the local IIS folder.

Each developer will create an app using different mxml file name and they are ready upload the swf file to my webserver.

We can create the cfm file that will read the swf file so from my menu options i can call each cfm file.

It's simple now but it took me some time to figure this out

If anyone have better idea of doing this, please let me know. I will continue looking for framework, looks like a great idea to work with.

Regards

Johnny

• 5. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
                  Ansury Level 3

Well you could use modules to split up your client if the pieces are large enough to warrant it (although this increases overall complexity so avoid if possible), but it's not required even with multiple devs (as long as nobody checks in broken code of course).  I can't really speak to best practices when doing development using modules.

What is the "version manager" you are referring to?  That's the general idea behind SVN but it's more than just that.  SVN is a server you connect to via a client like TortoiseSVN or Subclipse which also lets you revert to previous versions, branch, tag releases, and share file updates with others.  As long as you aren't checking in generated/compiled stuff (like compiled swf files) you should be fine assuming everyone is familiar with the basics of using Subversion.

• 6. Re: Flex with multiple programmers
                    jfb00 Level 3

http://salesdemo.serena.com/vminet_books/VMIG.PDF

Version manager does all the same but I already download the trial version of the tool that you mention and see if I can change specially if it' free.

Thanks!

Johnny