12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 8:53 AM by John T Smith

New PC  from HP / Costco

LARUSTY

First let me say….THANK YOU to all the people that have contributed.  My eyes are blurred from reading Harm’s contributions.  An unbelievable help.

Second.  I was not planning to get a NLE until the beginning of next year (still will) but found I had to get a new desktop now.  I’m an old 6.5  user.         So I’m going to get one from Costco…custom.  90 day return great for me if there is a problem as I'm not a computer wiz.

Goal: to maximize what they offer to get a system that I can load CS5 and “learn” CS5 until I get a NLE next year.  Basically a desktop on steriods.  So here is what they offer.  I understand the basics but I figure somebody may help with the tweaking.  I.e.  spend $200 more for memory rather then a six core chip.   I do plan on adding an internal hard drive after it arrives if that makes sense regarding the choice of hard drives.

Basically...is there anything that will jump out and bite me in the ((*&T*

Notes:  Was going to use two monitors so the nVidia GTX 260 was the choice.  Because of this...no slots for the sound card option it seems so itegrated sound.

Once again...Thank you for all the help so far!

Rusty

Processor    help me decide
      Memory    help me decide
      Hard drive    help me decide
      Graphics card    help me decide

Operating system    help me decide

Primary optical drive    help me decide

Secondary optical drive    help me decide

Configuration Summary
      Selected Features:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]
      • 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
      • 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
      • 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
      • Integrated sound
      • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
      • No speakers
      • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Microsoft Office Starter 2010
      • HP deluxe wireless keyboard & wireless mouse
      • Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )
      • Blu-ray writer & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
      • 16x max. DVD ROM (player)
      • Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
      • No TV Tuner
      Included Features:
      • Type: Top performance PC
      • Chassis: uATX
      • Memory card reader: 15-in-1 media card reader
      • Total memory slots: 6 DIMM
      • Ports: 7 USB (3 front, 4 back), 2 eSATA (back), 1 IEEE 1394
      • Audio: Front headphone, line-in, mic (7.1 speaker capable)
      • Total slots: 2 PCIe (x16), 1 PCIe (x4), 1 PCIe (x1)
      • Energy Star Qualified: No
      • Power supply: 460 watts
      • Storage bay: HP Pocket Media Drive Bay
      • Dimensions: 16.85"(L) x 7.05"(W) x 15.79"(H)
      • Modem: Optional
      • Network interface: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps (Ethernet)
      • Software kit: HP Pavilion bundle with MediaSmart Software Suite
      • DVD/CD burner software: Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
      • Security software: Norton Internet Security 15-month subscription
      • Tools: Desktop icon for built-in desktop Help and Support Center
      • Warranty: 2-year In-Home limited hardware warranty
      • Support: 1-year limited software, 2-year limited hardware support

• 1. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
          Harm Millaard Level 7

HP's have several disadvantages; They come with custom PSU's that are not upgradable, at least in a HP case. They are not capable of overclocking. The are priceworthy only if you opt for the standard configuration, but they steal you blind on upgrading components.

The configuration and components you have chosen are very good, but you may get a better price by building yourself. An alternative is going to ADK and ask them for a quotation.

• 2. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
            LARUSTY Level 1

Thanks Harm.

I have read your info on the pricing and the building but for somebody like myself, if anything goes wrong beyond the basics…it can become a nightmare.  I may never get it tweaked to run correctly.  With this…I just pick up the phone or walk down the street and return it…a free do over.  

My big concern was if I was getting anything out of the i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz over the    “ i7-930 quad-core included” for $600 or better getting over 12 gigs of ram. Not sure there will ever be a way to access the Mercury Engine with the GTX 260.  For the cs5 video editing anyway.

Or with that in mind????…buying a gtx 480 for that money ($600) and keep the “included” i7-930 quad-core.   But I was not sure the PSU would handle the GTX 480?

Just went over to ADK and went on the website and the price came out about the same for a close match.  I have to remember that I’m trying to squeeze out the most efficient answer for a desktop that I will be using everyday also.

Thanks for your help.

Rusty

• 3. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

"Just went over to ADK and went on the website and the price came out about the same for a close match."

Not a close match based on our options The 700W compared to the 480W PSU difference alone is rather important not to mention the ram we use is DDR3 1600 and not 1066. The performance difference is considerable with DDr3 1600 bandwidth at 27 to 28GB/s versus 1066 bandwidth at 19 to 20GB/s. Ram performance is extremely important for video editing especially dealing with HD. The PSU listed for the system you link is 480W and will not handle a 470GTX or a 480GTX. Please go here to look at minimum requirements for these cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_480_us.html

The 470GTX Spec page is down but the minimum PSU requirement is 550W.

That is just the base differences without knowing what you configured. There is a difference in the boards to both with slot's and USB 3 and Sata 600. Just giving you heads up it's not as close a comparison as you might think.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I have read your info on the pricing and the building but for somebody like myself, if anything goes wrong beyond the basics…it can become a nightmare.  I may never get it tweaked to run correctly.

I don't know where you are located, but if service and support is a concern, I would seriously recommend ADK. They have a very good reputation, they really know about video editing, and both Scott and Eric are superb guys that really want to help. Much more so than a simple box-shover like Costco or HP. Don't misunderstand me, Costco and HP can sell good products, if YOU know what to buy, but solving editing problems, they can't and their turn around time in case of difficulties is plain lousy.

• 5. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                  dslr_sc Level 1

Hi I'm new here and in the same situation as LARUSTY, although I'm looking at an HP 380t from the HP website not Costco. I checked out ADK but their prices seem to be about $500 more than a comparably equipped HP. I'm sure they're probably worth it and believe me I would much rather support a small business than a huge corporation (sorry Adobe!), but things are tight for me financially so I think I might have to go with HP.I can also get 6 months same as cash financing with HP which will hopefully give me time to get jobs that can pay for the system.

But since someone from ADK has already replied in this thread and might be reading this I wanted to point out that HP is apparently the only company offering the special edition 1.8GB version of the Nvidia GTX-260 in their systems. It has 192 CUDA cores which is close to the GTX-285's 240 cores. The 260's 1.8GB is larger than the 480... although I'm not technically informed about video cards to know for sure if that really matters.

Here's the 380T system I'm looking at:

I7-930 2.8GHz

12GB DDR3 1066MHz

1TB 7200 HD

1.8GB NVIDIA GTX-260

DVD burner w/Lightscribe

Wireless N card

Integrated sound card

Win 7 Home Premium w/Office Starter 2010

Price: $1,429

If I buy this the only upgrade I plan to add is a second hard drive for video storage.

Any thoughts?

• 6. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                    LARUSTY Level 1

DSLR,

As far as I can tell after talking with HP and Costco,  the one from Costco is the 380t drop shipped from HP.  Says so right on the site.  I agree that there can be a difference in the in the parts from a builder but for myself, this will work fine.  I have purchased, in the 10k range machine from a builder “2001”, but this time I need a machine that I can return if it does not work.  I have 90 days to do that here. 

So I did order it, same as yours with pumped up ram and two drives.  I was told I can order one more drive after it arrives and they will help install it over the phone if I have a problem.  Yes, as you upgrade it can get a little expensive.  BUT…If I blow it up, I just walk down the street and return it.  Major for me. When I get more dedicated I will go with a builder but for now it just does not work.

Software, I got Professional, a little more ram, the 970 and Blue ray burner.  I will also add some cooling when the time comes. As for the PSU, both Costco and HP said that the PSU is upgraded automatically from the base 460 as you customize.  460 is only the base. I will get it around the 11th…I hope.

Regarding the “hack” to unlock the GTX 260.  I found two YouTube video’s that seem to cover the “hack” with two monitors along with the info on here in this forum.  Once again I’m with you about the large company but sometimes it just does not work.

I will let you know what happens when it gets here but I hope that helps a little.   That is all I know at this point.

Rusty

• 7. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                      LARUSTY Level 1

Sorry guys I can not figure out why this will not let me put in a Youtube link but here they are.

jj4ERi5t_Eo

VL3NaSYU16w

Rusty

• 8. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                        dslr_sc Level 1

Rusty, based on your comments I took a look at Costco and the system with the specs I wanted was only $3.00 more, but I would also have to join Costco for $50.00.

I agree that their 90 day return policy is appealing. With computers you should certainly know within 90 days if you got a lemon. And the Costco Concierge service also sounds like it might be worth it... just knowing I can speak with someone in the USA sounds nice.

A few questions:

1. Are they shipping the PC to your home or to your local Costco? If shipped, via what carrier: UPS or FedEx?

2. Did they charge you tax on the sale?

Looking forward to hearing your comments once you get the system although I may need to order mine this week.

• 9. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                          dslr_sc Level 1

LARUSTY, not sure if you're still checking this thread but I'd be interested in knowing if you got your HP/Costco PC and what your impressions are. Thanks!

• 10. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

"I wanted to point out that HP is apparently the only company offering the special edition 1.8GB version of the Nvidia GTX-260 in their systems. It has 192 CUDA cores which is close to the GTX-285's 240 cores. The 260's 1.8GB is larger than the 480... although I'm not technically informed about video cards to know for sure if that really matters."

There is a reason HP is the only company offering this video card. It's a waste of money when compared to the 460 or 470 video cards. The extra Ram Frame Buffer currently will not help you in CS5 since it currently is not using all of the frame buffer in the 460 or 470 video cards. However the 400 series cards have double or more the CUDA cores and far higher ram bandwidth which will make a far bigger difference as Adobe adds more effects to the MPE engine. DirectX 11  will also make a much bigger difference as applications start supporting it. HP's offer the 260 1.8GB because they give limited power supply options with those models which won't handle the power draw of the 400 series cards. Not much of a  consolation for the drawbacks.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                              LARUSTY Level 1

I did get it and I will up date you with the experience once I get started.  I also got dual Samsung BX2450's.  As I said, this is my home DTop computer and not a dedicated NLE.  The BX looks ok...what you would expect out of the box....little blue but have not worked on them yet.  Put the order in for CS5 today and will let you know how that goes.

I did question them (Costco) on the power supply (460w) being low and they are working on that and I should hear today.  In any case, I will load the CS5 and give it a run to see what happens.  I did see some place a little unit that you can place in between  the power supply with a digital read out of the power draw for about $30 but can not locate it.  No idea what the draw is once I get it going but if it works...

Will also do the hack as per the video link above.

But like I said...if it all goes to "heck", put it in the box and give it back.

Rusty

• 12. Re: New PC  from HP / Costco
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built

To feed the POWER HUNGRY nVidia GTX 285 I use, plus have sable power for everything else, I have an 850w power supply

I personally would not try to edit video with the computer you describe... at least not with an nVidia card