5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 2:37 PM by TimeRemapper

Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage

Colin Brougham Level 6

I've got a few shots from a FlipHD camcorder (yay) that I need to use in a project comprised of DVCPROHD 720p/24pN footage. The edit is being done in Premiere in a matching sequence preset; the DVCPROHD footage obviously looks fine, but the FlipHD stutters due to the frame rate difference. The FlipHD is 30p (not 29.97), so basically every fifth frame is just being tossed out. Turning on Frame Blending in Premiere just turns the footage into a smeary mess.

I'm thinking that I can get a somewhat better result using AE, but so far, the proper combination of settings and comps eludes me. I realize it's not going to be perfect--it's "easier" going from fewer frames to more, instead of the other way around--but I'm not expecting magic. I'm hoping there is some way to blend the frames and get a more watchable result.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this with AE's built-in tools?

• 1. Re: Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Any way you look at it, you're losing temporal resolution. You can simply nest your 30p  comp in a 24p comp, and then render the 24p comp. You could apply frame blending (draft switch), Timewarp (full switch, or effect for more control), etc...

There are some 3rd party plug-ins that provide differing algorithms to compensate for frame rate shifts, but all of the above will fail when certain pans or tracks/zooms are converted. That's the nature of losing temporal resolution. You can experiment with a few varieties and see which works best for you.

• 2. Re: Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, that's pretty much what I feared. I'm not expecting anything too fantastic--just a little better than what it is currently is fine by me.

I'll give your suggestion a try. I assume that I leave the frame rate interpretation as-is (30p) for the footage? I had been trying to reinterpret the footage as 23.976, and then change the speed of the clip in the comp, but that seemed to have a net zero effect (i.e. they cancelled each other out). Basically, I'm trying to do what you said--force frame blending.

Thanks for your reply!

• 3. Re: Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Yup, imterpret the footage as it truly is. 30fps.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks again--this worked remarkably well. There is a marked difference between the original 30p clips and the 23.976p comps (using Dynamic Link to take the comps into PPro). As you mentioned, anything that has severe lateral movement is not as smooth, but it looks quite a bit less like stop motion now. When you're dealing with a consumer-level CMOS camcorder with a rolling shutter, that's being operated handheld and panned around wildly like a firehose, there's only so much you can do

Many thanks for the assist!

• 5. Re: Changing frame rate of FlipHD footage
                  TimeRemapper Level 4
                  When you're dealing with a consumer-level CMOS camcorder with a rolling shutter, that's being operated handheld and panned around wildly like a firehose, there's only so much you can do