8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 2:48 AM by Ann Bens

automation modes help please.

shooternz Level 6

I asked this over in the Audition Forum (no replies).

so...because same question applies to PPRO Mixer...

Anyone willing to help me get a better understanding of the automation modes in Audition 3 (or PPRO) please.

eg. specifically when to use Latch, Touch , Write.

The manual is a bit skimpy on real workflow information in this regard.  ( I am a cameraman not an audio engineer!)

I have a session with 10 tracks.

I was hoping to work down through the tracks using automation as I go on each one progressively.

Which mode is best to use so I can repeat and alter a section of a  track ?

Can one clear the entire Automation in a track?

Is it best practice to set each track to unity first?  (I do have some clip envelopes set already for fades)

Appreciate any help offered. Thanx

• 1. Re: automation modes help please.
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Can one clear the entire Automation in a track?

I can only answer this one, and only from the perspective of Premiere. With the Pen tool active, you can lasso all track keyframes to select them, and then hit Delete. I recommend doing this at full zoom out so there is less dragging to do.

The rest of it... I dunno There was a reason I went into video instead of audio

• 2. Re: automation modes help please.
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Craig,

Found this brief tutorial on live mixing over at Layers Magazine: http://layersmagazine.com/automation-modes-live-audio-mixing-in-premiere-pro.html

Not a ton of information, but might clear up a few things.

• 3. Re: automation modes help please.
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Great tutorial!  Having once sorted this all out for a 6 track edit (almost all of which I now see I have forgotten), that tutorial saves a lot of time.

• 4. Re: automation modes help please.
                shooternz Level 6

Thanx Colin.  That helps a lot.

• 5. Re: automation modes help please.
                  shooternz Level 6

This helped me a lot also and maybe of value to others in Auditon or PPRO

This info provided by _durin_  (Audition Forum)

Here's a quick review of the Automation modes:

WRITE:  Write mode overwrites any existing automation data.  If you have several nodes in an envelope, and begin playback in Write mode, the envelope will be erased for everywhere within the played-back region and overwritten with the current or new parameter values.

LATCH:  Latch mode honors existing automation data UNTIL you make a change to a parameter.  At that point, the envelope will remain latched at the new value, overwriting other keyframes or changes in the played-back region.

TOUCH:  Touch mode is similar to Latch mode in that it honors existing automation data until you make a parameter change.  However, once you change a parameter value, touch mode automation will then begin to adjust the envelope slowly back towards the NEXT keyframe value.  For instance, if you have a keyframe at 03 seconds and another at 15 seconds and you begin playback in Touch mode, if you make an adjustment at 5 seconds then release the control, the envelope will slowly return to the 15 second parameter value over the next 10 seconds.

To alter a section of a track, use the appropriate mode for what you are trying to do.  If you want to overwrite everything in the region, use Write.  If you want to overwrite SOME of the automation, use Latch.  Use Touch if you want only want to modify some aspects of the envelope, but not necessarily everything.

To clear an automation lane of all keyframes and reset it to its default value, there is an eraser button in the automation lane panel on the left.  This will clear all edit points.  To remove a single edit point, click and drag it outside of the automation lane (up or down) and it will "snap" away.

• 6. Re: automation modes help please.
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Now, why couldn't they put THAT in the manual, instead of what is written there currently? This makes a whole lot more sense now--thanks for posting Craig.

This is obviously for Audition, as there are two things that don't pertain to Premiere: there is no "keyframe eraser" in Premiere (that I've found), and I don't believe that Touch works quite the same in Premiere. There is an option in Preferences > Audio called Automatch Time that controls how long it takes Touch mode to return to the existing values once you let go of the slider.

From the PPro help:

Touch
                    Identical to Write, except that automation doesn’t start until you begin adjusting a property. When you stop adjusting a property, its option settings return to their previous state before the current automated changes were recorded. The rate of return is determined by the Automatch Time audio preference.

But all the same, this is pretty helpful information. I've almost totally avoid automation mixing because of this!

• 7. Re: automation modes help please.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Now, why couldn't they put THAT in the manual, instead of what is written there currently?

Maybe something for Todd to address, and pass on to the person, who is working on the Help files, in his place.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 8. Re: automation modes help please.
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Colin Brougham wrote:

Now, why couldn't they put THAT in the manual, instead of what is written there currently? This makes a whole lot more sense now--thanks for posting Craig.

This is obviously for Audition, as there are two things that don't pertain to Premiere: there is no "keyframe eraser" in Premiere (that I've found), and I don't believe that Touch works quite the same in Premiere. There is an option in Preferences > Audio called Automatch Time that controls how long it takes Touch mode to return to the existing values once you let go of the slider.

From the PPro help:

Touch
                        Identical to Write, except that automation doesn’t start until you begin adjusting a property. When you stop adjusting a property, its option settings return to their previous state before the current automated changes were recorded. The rate of return is determined by the Automatch Time audio preference.

But all the same, this is pretty helpful information. I've almost totally avoid automation mixing because of this!

Now it is, at the bottom of the page.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f0ca .html

If you find usefull information you can add it to the Help files yourselve.