26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 3:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?

ckelly33 Level 1

My computer is as follows:

Win7, intel hex-core, 18gb RAM, 2 TB HDD, all unneccessary software is off

I have completed a memory-heavy project and PE8 has crashed on m multiple times.  Now, I am at the end of my project and I cannot complete the burn - it crashes at 95% rendering after 6 hours of processing.....that's if the project loads at all. It often crashes after opening the program before I can even choose to output to Blu-ray.

I'm saving up to get the Pro CS5 version so I can better utilize my RAM.  I'm hoping to complete this one project though.

Would my output method choice (h.264 1920x1080, h.264 1440x1080, mpeg2 1920x1080 or mpeg2 1440x1080) make a difference in processing success?  Would I be 'cutting a corner' of my final product?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It all depends on what type of camcorder your video came from and how well you've matched your Premiere Elements project settings to this video format.

What type of camcorder are you using and what project settings is your project set to? Your input settings are much more relevant than your output.

If you're seeing a red horizontal line over your clips on your timeline, are you rendering the timeline regularly (so that the line turns green)?

Your problems could also be related to out of date Windows Updates, drivers or even Quicktime versions. Or the fact that you may be using Windows 7 64-bit. Or it could be related to how you're connecting to your second hard drive and how it's configured -- and if it's formatted as NTFS or FAT32.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
            ckelly33 Level 1

Camera is a Canon HF S21, which is a flash-based AVCHD 1080x1920 camcorder.  When I started the project new, I chose NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30

I see no horizontal lines at all on my timeline (red or green) on my project.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit and both my HDD's are NTFS and are internally connected (SATA, I guess).  Windows is up to date but I have no idea about Quicktime though.

Am I doing ok so far?  I have burned several other projects without problem - although I may have choen a different starting point.  It seems like when I began this project, it may have been set for a HDD camera, so I'm not sure - maybe those other projects were started with the wrong setting.....but was more successful?  I'm honestly not sure if I changed anything in the beginning (After my other successes), but I do remember looking at it.

Just PLEASE don't tell me I need to start over, this is my most complicated project to date.  I just ordered CS5 hoping that more RAM access will help.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
              nealeh Level 5

If you have no red line on import then that means your preset IS correctly matched to your footage. In addition to the Windows updates (you have already installed) do install the latest QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing) and make sure the Graphics/Sound drivers drivers are all up to date as well.

If you haven't already done so run Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. Before burning, exit as many of your memory resident programs as you can. If you cannot exit anti-virus / anti-spyware items (they are usually protected from exit) make sure you use their settings to switch off real-time scanning.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                ckelly33 Level 1

Quicktime was already up to date, just defragmented.  Any suggestion as to output format from my 1920x1080 AVCHD input?

Would any of these be a 'better' choice thatn the other:  h.264 1920x1080, h.264 1440x1080,  mpeg2 1920x1080 or mpeg2 1440x1080) when it comes to disc creation  success?  Would I be 'cutting a corner' of my final product?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                  ckelly33 Level 1

I decided to give it another shot and I noticed a red line that runs the length of the timelime itself - not sitting directly on the clip.  Is this what you guys are referring to?  When Steve mentioned it earlier, I thought I was looking exactly at the clip, not at the timeline.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?

Nope. It runs right along the tick marks at the top of the timeline.

Press Enter to render it whenever you see red lines and your performance should improve greatly.

The project preset you should be using for footage from that camcorder is AVCHD 1920x1080 5.1 audio.

And make sure you only shoot in FXP or MXP if you plan to edit in Premiere Elements! Other formats may not be supported.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                      ckelly33 Level 1

Wow, sorry I misunderstood.  I am currently attepting again after defragmenting, turning off Windows indexing, turning off all other programs (antivirus, etc), and changing PRE8 to a 'high priority' process.

So, all I need to do once it (probably) crashes is to click the timeline and hit enter and it will do its thing?

thanks for all of your help!  I've never had this level of choking before out of PRE8....maybe it's because I'm doing more and more mixing of audio/integration of photos?  I'm awaiting delivery of PRE CS5 - can I get some reassurance that my hundreds spent will alleviate these issues?

Oh, I AM filming in MXP.

Thanks again!!

One more question Steve - I have looked up your books on amazon (as I clearly need one), I didn't see one for Premiere Pro.  Is there one?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                        nealeh Level 5

Now we've established that you ARE seeing red-lines, it means your preset does NOT match your clip. I'm guessing that you've not selected the 5.1 sound version of AVCHD. Follow Steve's suggested preset.

You've also mentioned this is the first time using still photos. What pixel dimensions do those photos have?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                          ckelly33 Level 1

That's correct, I was looking for it in the wrong place.  I did not choose 5.1, I cannot remember why, but I did have a reason (a poor one apparently!).  Does this mean I have to resart?  Please so it isn't so! Will CS5 be able to adjust for the incorrect input when I get it?  If I have to, then I have to...

My pixels are 3888x2592 i believe.  I made a slide show in PSE and exported to PRE.  I didn't adjust their size....should I have?

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                            ckelly33 Level 1

Tanscoding error at 24% on my latest attempt.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                              nealeh Level 5

A project preset is one time chance - you have to get it right first time when you start the project.

Apparently though if you buy the clipboard extender 'ClipMate' it allows you to copy from your timeline. Then start a new project with the correct settings and paste from ClipMate. I don't have it so can't confirm.

Your photo's are way too large for PRE. Not only do they invariably cause PRE to choke and crash, but PRE is lousy at resizing them. You will be much better off resizing them first in PSE. If you don't intend to use 'pan and scan' then size them to your output (1,920 x 1080). If you are going to use 'pan and scan' resize them to something a little larger (perhaps 2,500 x 1,400).

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?

You're using slides over 3000 pixels wide! No wonder you're crashing!

As we say in the FAQs to the right of the forum (and I detail in my books) oversized photos are the chief reason for choke-ups with this program.

Ideally,  your photos should never be larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

For hi-def, you can go as larger at 2000x1500 -- but, if your system is choking on too many, you may need to work on your project in smaller parts and combine them into a final mixdown so that the program doesn't choke trying to render too many pixels.

And don't forget to clear off your temp files regularly (as I say in my maintenance FAQ) and defragmetn all of your drives so that you have lots of contiguous space for paging and scratch disc files.

How many of these photos are you using in your project?

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                  ckelly33 Level 1

Probably 50.

As far as presets go, I've started a new project and tried multiple presets (both AVCHD and Flash-based camcorders, 5.1 and no 5.1.  No matter what I have chosen (so far), I get a red line instantly whn dropping in a video from my camera.  Do I need to keep trying until the drop-ins are green from the start?

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?

AVCHD video always needs to be rendered, unfortunately. So as long as you're using the project preset I recommended above, you're at the best possible settings.

Meantime, try creating the slideshow portion of your video separately. Are you able to output an MPEG 1920x1080 from it? If not,  you've narrowed down the problem.

If so, bring that MPEG rather than the slides into your AVCHD project and see if you can output your BluRay from that.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For large stills, this ARTICLE will offer helpful tips on Scaling outside of PrE, and explain why this will benefit you in two ways: higher quality and ease of working with them. This will be exactly the same in PrPro CS5.

PrPro CS5 will allow one to have many different Sequences (think of mini-Projects inside a "master" Project), and you can create these at any time. Also, CS5 offers a new feature - a New Sequence creation, just by dragging a Clip from the Project Panel to the New icon. This New Sequence will then survey your Clip and set up the Sequence to match it 100%. This takes most of the guesswork out of creating a New Sequence, and having to study the Clips in detail, writing down all of the attributes. Also, PrPro offers the Desktop Preset, where almost every attribute can be customized. The Sequence must match the source footage 100%, or there will be issues at some level. This part is the same for PrE - 100% match for the best editing experience with the fewest problems.

In PrE, one must set up the Project Preset at the beginning of the Project. There is no direct, easy way to make a change to that Preset, once it has been started. Some users have had good luck by hacking the Project file (PREL, which is but an XML database), but others have had issues. If you go this route, make sure that you are working on a Copy of the PREL and not the original, in case something goes very bad. Were I to try this hacking, I would first Open my Project, and do a Save_As, changing the Project name slightly. Then, I'd shut down PrE and Open that new PREL in NotePad, or other similar program. This will leave the original PREL intact. One should also have an idea of the structure of the PREL XML file and the XML language, before they just started changing things. Personally, I would also create a New Project with the exact attributes required, and use that otherwise empty Project PREL as a "guide," to know exactly what needs to be changed in the one that I was editing. I would keep both of those PREL files Open in separate instances of NotePad, and use the empty one, with correct attributes, as my "control," doing a Copy/Paste of all lines of XML that would be required.

Another feature in CS5 is that one can create those New Sequences, and then easily Copy/Paste from one Sequence to another one. PrE does not allow for that directly, but some users have found that a utility, ClipMate, will allow one to Copy/Paste between Projects. I have never needed it, so have never tried it.

Last, a PrE 8 PREL should Open in PrPro CS5. I say "should," because one PrPro user is currently having problems doing this. I have easily Opened PrE 4 PREL's in PrPro 2.0, and the only limitation that I have seen is with Instant Movie/Themes, which do not exist in PrPro. Those Effects will not translate directly. There could also be 3rd party, included Effects and Transitions, like the NewBlue ones, that are not included in PrPro. Those can cause issues too.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                        ckelly33 Level 1

I guess it's time to start all over.  I can't even get it to open anymore.

As far as presets, you say to choose AVCHD Full HD w/ 5.1 but my camera only records in stereo unless I ad in a $250 adaptor - which I didn't use on this footage.  Just confirmaing that you still want me to choose 5.1?

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If your camera does not record in DD 5.1 SS, then just use the 2-channel (stereo) Audio Preset. Do NOT use the DD 5.1 SS Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                            ckelly33 Level 1

This is the error I keep on getting with my original file:

Premiere Elements has encountered and error.

[..\..\Src\FileManager\FileManagerImpl.cpp-155]

I get it nearly everytime.  I'd like to just get it open and try to take an inventory of what is in it and in what order and save some headache.

Also, I have gone back and taken an older autosaved version of my file and I have been working with it.  I have gotten all of it "green" by rendering it (except for the slide shows made in PSE) but when I reopen it, some of them are red again.....why?

This is all frustrating.  Thanks for all of your help!!!

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              but when I reopen it, some of them are red again.....why?

A couple of possibilities:

1.) where are your Scratch Disks set to?

2.) is there an external HDD involved anywhere in the setup, especially a USB external?

3.) is there a networked HDD involved anywhere, mapped, or not? Maybe an NAS?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                ckelly33 Level 1

1.  C Drive.  I know this isn't the best choice - especially since I have a full spare 1TB internal HDD available, but I realized this too late (since it has never been an issue before)  and I assume I cannot change this midstream.  I'm REALLY trying to salvage this project but at this point I prbably could have done it all over again!

2.  No External USB HDD

3.  Yes, but only for some music files

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                  ckelly33 Level 1

I cannot seem to open this file and I am about ready to start from scratch.  I have even followed your (Bill's) instructions for a lean & mean machine....nothing seems to help, I always get the error above.  I have really not been able to consistently open it since I saved it with Menu's in place.

I have ordered Premiere Pro CS5 out of frustration.  WIll I be able to use PrePro to open this PRE8 file?  Is it likely to open given the error that I am getting?  I was hoping that the RAM boost to 18GB with Pro would resolve this 'not loading' issue, Any opinions/experience on this?

oh, and btw, Bill, I went to my autosaved project from a couple of days ago and lookd to see how the NAS drive's file correlated with the recurring 'red' issue in my project, there was no correlation.  No NAS files were involved.  The PSE slideshow that I mixed in (now with smaller picture files), will not turn red no matter what - regardless of rendering. Rendering it actually crashed PRE8.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Provided that the PREL from PrE8 is not corrupt, you should be able to Open it in PrPro CS5. If not, then try to Import it into an existing Project in CS5.

Exceptions to that can occur with:

1.) Instant Movie/Themes

2.) 3rd party Transitions or Effects (note: NewBlue Effects and Transitions are not in CS5, as they are in PrE)

If the PREL does not Open, or Import, this ARTICLE might prove useful, especially the XML Wrench part. It was written for CS4, but should hold true for CS5 too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                      ckelly33 Level 1

CS5 came today.  We wil see if I make any progress using a PRE8 file that won't work by loading it into CS5 & 18GB RAM.....

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do report. As I still am on PrE 4 and PrPro 2.0, I cannot even test for you. With those two program versions, I have had no issues going from PrE to PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                          ckelly33 Level 1

IT OPENED!!!  My menus appear to be missing, but that's okay....as long as I can figure out how to put another on!

When it opened, I did get the following notification:

"\\?\C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0\Seattle-Vancouver.prproj

Video Filter missing:  AE.ADBE Checkout

Video Filter missing:  AE.ADBE ObjectTracking"

ALSO:  My slide shows are still of the HUMONGOUS variety - do I still need to change them out or will PrePro handle those better?

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 8.01 Bluray Output From AVCHD->MPEG2 or H.264?
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                            IT OPENED!!!  My menus appear to be missing, but that's okay....as long as I can figure out how to put another on!

Great news. The loss of your DVD authoring navigation is to be expected, as PrPro has not been able to do that, since version 2.0. Now, all authoring is done via Encore, which is bundled with PrPro.

I forgot to mention that the DVD authoring would not translate. Even if you were going from PrE 4 to PrPro 2.0 (which had limited authoring capabilities), you would have lost things too, as PrE's authoring is a rather semi-automatic function, and PrPro did not use the Menu Sets. I did not realize that you had gotten that far with the Project, but I should have asked.

With PrPro, you have a couple of ways to do your authoring in Encore.

Here is the easy, tried-n-true "short course:" When done, Export your Timeline from PrPro as a DV-AVI Type II Video-only file (no muxing) and a PCM/WAV Audio-only file at 48KHz 16-bit. This gives you two separate files. Import the DV-AVI into Encore as a Timeline, and the WAV as an Asset. In Encore's Project Panel, drag the WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. Add your Menu(s) from the Library (note: they will be similar to some in PrE, but will be missing some, however having added a few more) and manually do the linking to the Buttons. Check Project, and Preview. When satisfied, either Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder and then use other software to do the physical Burn, after you have tested.

If you have any Encore questions, you can post to the great Encore Forum. Lot of good people there, and they even let me hang out there too!

Remember - I said that there were other ways to get your PrPro Project into Encore, and we'll be glad to share those in detail in the Encore forum.

See you there and good luck,

Hunt