3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

How to create specific text fade in/out (example).

rumiya@cox.net Level 1

Hello,  I am trying to create a text fade effect like the one in the attached video.

This was made using some premade format on iMovie and I want to achieve the same effect in premiere elements.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: How to create specific text fade in/out (example).
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's certainly possible -- but it will take some work (and is probably too complicated to explain on a forum post).

You may be better off doing that sequence in iMovie and then exporting it as DV footage so that you can import it into a Premiere Elements project.

It's no crime, after all, to use more than one program at a time to create your movie masterpiece!

• 2. Re: How to create specific text fade in/out (example).
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I create this by doing a Mask in Photoshop (could use Titler too), and then Keyframing the fixed Effect>Motion>Position to "reveal" and then "hide" my Text. Here is a look at a typical SD Mask in PNG format, to preserve the Transparency.

Fade_In-Out_Mask_01.png

This is a 1000 x 480 image, but one could do up to 4000 x 480, depending on how much one will want "revealed" and how wide the Text is, before one begins "hiding" it on the other end. One could also do two different Masks, and animate them separate. One can also use the Effect>Blur>Gaussian Blur to soften the edges of the Mask.

Be sure to click on the graphic to see the effect, as the forum displays a black box.

This is placed on the Video Track above the Text Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to create specific text fade in/out (example).
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is what the Mask looks like as a JPEG (Note: this format will not work for the actual Mask in PrE, as JPEG does not support Transparency. This is just to show you the example.)

Fade_In-Out_Mask_02.jpg

The area that is white here will be Transparent in either a PSD, or a PNG.

Hope this helps,

Hunt