8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 6:56 AM by ECBowen

Best HDD's to use?

Andrew M Clark Level 1

Hello -

Been perusing these posts and it seems like the

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

is a favorite among users here. Just curious, is there any other suggestions for speedy, reliable HDD's (non-SSD) or is this the one to get?

As for my budget, well goes without saying...least costly of course, but at the same time, I'll be happy to pay (a reasonable amount!!) more for speed and reliability.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Best HDD's to use?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes. A good alternative is WD Caviar Black for single disks and WD RE4 for raids, but they are not faster.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best HDD's to use?
            rbilsbor Level 1

Is there any reason not to use Caviar Black drives in a RAID? From Bare Feats' testing, it seems they are basically as fast as the RE4 drives for half the price -- and though they're not "Enterprise Rated," neither are the Spinpoints, right?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Best HDD's to use?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The reason is this nice utility, that can not be turned off: WDTLER, the WD Time Limit Error Recovery. Use Google to read about it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Best HDD's to use?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The WD Black Drives are fine for raid but the enterprise or more reliable for raid with parity. That reliability is due to the time out feature enterprise drives have as Harm Stated. Raid 0 and Raid 1 rarely show the problem. It's the raid levels with parity that seem to show the issue probably because if the parity bit goes to a bad block, the drive is more likely to get caught in a loop addressing to that sector.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Best HDD's to use?
                  rbilsbor Level 1

Thank you both so much! I assume the Samsungs don't have this problem, which is why they're recommended so much. Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Best HDD's to use?
                    Andrew M Clark Level 1

So I take it the Samsungs do not have this "time out" feature/problem?

I was checking out Tom's Hardware site and saw that these drives did pretty well against the WD drives and others as well. But it didn't appear that the tests were that in-depth in regards to video editing scenarios .... but rather just generic base line testing. At least that's what it seems like to me.

• 7. Re: Best HDD's to use?
                      rbilsbor Level 1

Looking at reviews on NewEgg on the F3s, this one jumped out at me:

"Had major trouble in a RAID 0 and then in RAID 5. 2 of 3 drives reported "error occured". At first I had 2 in RAID 0 and got the "error occured" error. When I rest the RAID to Non-RAID it seemed to "heal it's self" because it was listed as healthy. So I put all three in RAID 5 in case it went bad again. Much to my surprice within 2 days of setting up the RAID 5 one of the other drives showed "error occured". Have both RMA'd back to Samsung."

I'm assuming from the recommendations here that there are no problems with a RAID 5 setup with the Spinpoint, and that this guy just had bad luck?

• 8. Re: Best HDD's to use?
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you are using an Enterpise level raid controller, I am sure you will be ok with Raid 5 and those. If you are using the onboard then you will likely run into the same problem.

Eric

ADK