1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 6:29 AM by kglad

Altering ftp files using Flash

t-juice-t

Is there any way, using some kind of intermediary such as XML, PHP or the like, to alter ftp files with Actionscript? If so, it would be much appreciated if you could show me some kind of technique for going about this. Actionscript 2 is my target, but 3 is alright too and I would need to be able to at least move and delete ftp files.

In an unrelated matter, does any file transfer protocol allow the creation of shortcuts? I know that the answer is probably no, as different operating systems use different methods for this, but if anyone has this knowledge offhand it would be useful.

If Actionscript and languages that communicate with Actionscript can't write to ftp, can they read from it? I know that you can call a specific file in the same folder as the swf, but can a user request a listing of the entire contents of a folder, or alternatively just the number of items in a folder?

I know that I've asked a lot of questions, but I've been hard-pressed to find any tutorials on the subject, leading me to question whether it is possible. if anyone can provide a definite answer, I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks,

-giusti

• 1. Re: Altering ftp files using Flash
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can use the loadvars class (as2) or urlloader class (as3) to call a server-side script to move and to remove files.  if you want to use php as the server-side script, you could use the unlink() function to remove files and the rename() function to move files.

you can use a search engine for details and sample code for using both but there's not much to learn to use either:

unlink("path/filename");

rename("path1/name1","path2/name1");