9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 8:01 AM by Noel Carboni

Running ACR from Bridge

Yammer Level 4

I've made a habit out of running ACR from Bridge. The workflow was quicker and it could handle large batches better. Ctrl-R is almost a subconcious reflex now.

Since going 64-bit, it now seems that Ctrl-O is the way to go (it almost sounds like a slogan). You get to use the 64-bit plug-in in Photoshop. But this defeats the advantage of using ACR in Bridge, which is quickly applying settings to batches of images while you sort through them, without having to change applications.

I know this is the wrong forum, but it is linked, and this one is actually monitored by people in the know ... are there any plans to release a 64-bit version of Bridge?

• 1. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
          Curt Y Level 7

Are you asking if ACR opened from Bridge is the same ACR opened from PS 64?

ACR is 64 bit so would assume it always opens this way if you have 64 bit OS.  But I could be wrong.

• 2. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
            Yammer Level 4

ACR is 32-bit and 64-bit. Which one you use depends on the application which calls it — Photoshop 64-bit, Photoshop 32-bit, or Bridge (32-bit).

From a workflow point of view, I prefer to use ACR as a Bridge plug-in. But now I run a 64-bit system, best performance is obtained from running it as a Photoshop 64-bit plug-in. Unfortunately this makes my workflow more clumsy, as I have to keep switching applications.

So the question is: will it always be this way, or are we likely to see a 64-bit version of Bridge to get the most from ACR?

• 3. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
              Curt Y Level 7

How can you tell?

If you open a photo from Bridge into PS I assume it opens PS in 64 bit mode.  (PS not currently running.)

Would not the same proceedure occur when you open a image in ACR?

• 4. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                Yammer Level 4

Curt Y wrote:

How can you tell?

If you open a photo from Bridge into PS I assume it opens PS in 64 bit mode.  (PS not currently running.)

Would not the same proceedure occur when you open a image in ACR?

If you install ACR on a 64-bit system, it installs 32-bit and 64-bit versions. For the best performance, the recommended way to open a raw file (or files) from Bridge is Ctrl-O (open with Photoshop), assuming the 32-bit version isn't already running. If Photoshop 32-bit is already open, it will use that process. If not, it will open the 64-bit version.

The version (32- or 64-bit) of ACR used depends on the host application opening it. Bridge is a 32-bit application. Opening a raw file with Photoshop 64-bit uses the 64-bit version of ACR. Opening it with Photoshop 32-bit or Bridge uses the 32-bit version.

• 5. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Yammer P wrote:

I know this is the wrong forum, but it is linked, and this one is actually monitored by people in the know ... are there any plans to release a 64-bit version of Bridge?

First off, anybody who knows couldn't possibly actually tell you. But I will tell you that unlike Photoshop whose ram use is copious, Bridge isn't really a ram hog but more of a processor hog. So the benefits to re-writing Bridge for 64-bit isn't very compelling. Not when you can open an image from Bridge while hosted by Photoshop and take advantage of the 64-bit version of Camera Raw. So, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 64-bit version of Bridge just so you can avoid opening Photoshop.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Graphics software often runs a fair bit faster (e.g., 15%) just by using the better 64 bit instruction set (i.e., same code, compiled for x64).

Photoshop not having to run would allow Camera Raw more RAM.  Not every 64 bit system is overendowed with RAM.

It would be extraordinarily short sighted not to take this request seriously.  Plain and simple, Adobe's goal MUST be to have 100% 64 bit software across the board.  32 bit programming is last century's technology.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

It would be extraordinarily short sighted not to take this request seriously.

I'm sure Adobe takes EVERYTHING seriously but a 64-bit version of Bridge isn't a deal breaker...besides, ain't gonna happen in the CS5 timeframe, maybe in the CS6 time frame...

The odds of getting somebody from Adobe to make a definitive statement on the future of 64-bit Bridge is pretty low...so, what's the point. Learn how to use the 64-bit version of ACR now...huh?

• 8. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                        Yammer Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

So the benefits to re-writing Bridge for 64-bit isn't very compelling. Not when you can open an image from Bridge while hosted by Photoshop and take advantage of the 64-bit version of Camera Raw. So, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 64-bit version of Bridge just so you can avoid opening Photoshop.

I know what you're saying, Jeff. It's not a very sexy proposition; nothing which would have much of an impact on sales. And it's not like I can't use the 64-bit version if I want to. It really just comes down to usability, which (ironically) is something Adobe's marketing dept. has been making a big deal of in recent years.

If I want to develop a lot of raw files, the easiest and quickest way for me to do it is from Bridge. I seem to remember that Bridge had a larger capacity for batch processing with ACR for that very reason. I want to select one or more photos from the Content panel or Preview screen, hit Ctrl-R, process them in ACR, hit Done to return to the photos, and move on to the next batch.

As it stands, Photoshop 64-bit has to be loaded to enable 64-bit developing, and every time I finish developing a batch, I have to remember to mouse-click Done (instead of pressing Enter), and then manually switch applications back to Bridge or its full-screen preview window usingthe mouse (or Alt-Tab). Okay, it's not rocket science, but it's a bit fiddly and slows me down a bit. Definitely not an improvement to workflow/usability.

Actually, having said all that, there may be a bonus to working this way which I haven't fully explored yet. Bridge uses ACR to produce thumbnails and previews, and, increasingly, this takes a lot of time and resources, especially after developing a large batch. Maybe using Photoshop 64-bit to host ACR allows Bridge to process these batches' thumbnails and previews in the background? I'm not totally sure, but I do get the feeling that hosting ACR in Bridge temporarily halts this process. Does anyone understand how this works?

• 9. Re: Running ACR from Bridge
                          Noel Carboni Level 7
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Schewe wrote:

so, what's the point

The point is Adobe concentrates on bolting on new gee whiz marketing features, clearly to the exclusion of making their base system better.  Some might say this is good, because it stays more familiar from release to release, but really, there are still a lot of filters and things still stuck in 8 bit land because everyone's working on the "next big visible feature" instead of making time to evolve the existing platform.  And then you have people asking why doesn't the second major release with 64 bit functionality still has components that only run on 32 bits.  Windows has had 64 bit capability for 6 years now!

The cash cow needs to get more funding, that's all I'm saying.

-Noel