11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 1:33 AM by mydexteridd

Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?

AldoXRR Level 1

Okay so I will be going off to college soon (September) and I will be buying my first laptop for this reason, but I will be doing full HD videos on it. I help photographers and videographers with photo retouching and video editing as well as making music videos and I need a laptop that will handle Premiere Pro Cs5 (acutally the whole production premium suite). I can't buy a desktop yet because my first semester is abroad and I can't travel with much weight. These are the ones I have been looking at:

Asus G73JH-RBBX05

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i7+Processor+/+ 17.3"+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?skuId=9741729&ci_src=14110 944&ci_sku=9741729&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218165344675

ASUS N61JQ-X1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=O TC-Froogle-_-Notebooks-_-ASUS-_-34220696

Asus G51JX-X2

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5592727&SRCCODE =GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Dell Studio 17

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndotw5&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&d gc=SS&cid=27399&lid=627062

I'm open to sugestions but I won't buy anything from HP, Sony, or Toshiba because I have had problems with their products.

Also would an intel core i5 handle Premiere and After Effects?

I usually make 3 to 4 videos and 100 images every 10 days but I can reduce the production to 2 and 70 if I have to.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as the laptop meets the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5: System Requirements including screen resolution and AT LEAST two different physical 7200 RPM SATA disks and an i7 CPU, you should be OK. Sager is the brand to have a look at. None of your links meets those requirements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
            scubajwd Level 1

I recently purchased the Dell Studio

16 XPS with SSD and an i7 processor to do

nothing but Photoshop, Lightroom, and PP CS5

processing for approx 2 TBs of past & present video

footage  (including AVCHD) and full HD 24P and 30P

footage from my DSLR; I run WIN 7 with 64 bit in 8 GB ram; all

my cache's are on the SSD and I have gigabit network

that serves up my source files at approx 40-70 MBytes/sec

(depending on the file or files); I use the QNAP TS259 Pro as

my NAS; the Dell has the ATI hi-performance graphics card

that only partially takes advantage of the Mercury Playback

Engine(no hardware acceleration with the ATI); I'm extremely

happy with the technologies; I can do the majority of my video

editing W/O pre-rendering altho at times for precision stuff I do

pre-render; having the historical perspective of using PS & PP since

1997 on Windows platforms I can assuredly tell you that the

performance and productivity uplifts from the marriage of these

software & hardware technologies is nothing short of miraculous;

I couldn't be happier; don't skimp on your laptop: 1)i7 2)8GB or more

DDR3 RAM 3) fast disks or SSD  4)HD capable monitor and 5) graphics

card that preferably takes full advantage of the Mercury Engine; you'll need

to shell out about $2500 for all of this (excluding the 30" monitor that I use with mine)

Hope this helps....

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I also endorse the Sager laptops. Couple one with adequate specs., 3x internal SATA HDD's, and then eSATA externals, and one would have a great video editing laptop - as far as laptops go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                PrecedentTechnologies Level 1

Hi there,

The HP 8740w notebook will offer the Nvidia 5000M mobile graphics card. The 5000M is listed on Nvidia's Mercury Playback Engine list. This would be a good option for your creative work. However; I'm sure it will be quite pricey. Dell will also utilizing this GPU in one of their Precision Mobile Workstations. Hopefully both of these options will be ready before you start school. The Dell looks like a really good option. As I look at their current high-end workstation, you can actually get 3 hard drives in the system and up to 32GB of RAM. That's an awesome laptop. You wouldn't have to buy another machine for quite a while.

Good luck with college!

• 5. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                  Maytrix01 Level 1

I wouldn't stay away from a brand just because you've had problems in the past.  If you had serious problems and they never got resolved or something, perhaps, but if you survey enough people, you'll eventually find there is no brand with 0 problems.

I have a $700 HP laptop at home that has worked reasonably well for editing.  The key is to have an external drive connected to it and keep your videos on that.  As others suggested, make sure it meets the requirements.  If it does, you should be fine with an external drive attached.

• 6. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                    AldoXRR Level 1

Wow!

Thank you for all the feedback. I just looked at those Sager laptops and I was amazed; those are the best laptops out there without doubt. I didn't want to spend much money because it's only for one semester but I think I can give it a use when I come back. This is the laptop I'll be buying.

https://secure.pctorque.com/system-configuration.aspx?SystemsID=58

With the Full HD (1920x1080)16:9 LED Backlit Super Clear Glossy Widescreen

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5870 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (Which one would be the best choice from this one and nVidia they offer)

Intel® Core™ i7-840QM

8GB or RAM

500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (And I'm buying two external hardrive, a Fantom Drives 500GB)

etc.

What do you think?

The only thing is that all these cost me $2,200 plus the insurance I need to buy. I think I might need to work even more during this whole month.

I had several problems with those brands and some relatives did too, so I just don't like to buy from those brands.

I also will look at the Dell mentioned here.

Thank you all.

• 7. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                      mydexteridd Level 1

Hi,

could you pls be a bit more specific on your system?

Which core i7? 720qm, 740qm, 840qm?

Which ati card? mobility 5650, 560v?

thx.

• 8. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                        scubajwd Level 1

at the moment..

• 9. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                          scubajwd Level 1

It's a i7 720qm,SSD, XPS 1645 with the ATI HD 4670(1 GB Memory)

rated at 432 Gflops by ati; nice package; I really enjoy it..

• 10. Re: Are these good laptops for Premiere Pro Cs5?
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You absolute do not want an ATI graphics card if you are going to be using Premiere CS5  What you need to take advantage of the MPE hardware acceleration is an nVidia CUDA card with a minimum of 768 MB of dedicated memory.