6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 11:23 PM by suntrop RSS

Indent list items

suntrop

I made a new list within the Paragraph Style Options and it's working fine. When I press enter key I can type a new list row, but when I press shift + enter the cursor starts right at the front of my line and not underneath the line above.

What I want:

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
      • Aenean  commodo ligula eget dolor. 
        Aenean massa.  Cum sociis natoque penatibus  et magnis   <<<<--- this line is indented as it should be
      • Er tincidunt.  Cras dapibus.

But my list looks similar to this

• Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit

•  Aenean  commodo ligula eget dolor.

Aenean massa.  Cum sociis natoque penatibus  et magnis   <<<<--- this line is not

• Er tincidunt.  Cras dapibus.

The only method I could figure out is to indent the text 5mm and the first line -3mm.

Any other, more secure, solutions?

Message was edited by: suntrop As I just noticed: If I use a pre-defined list of InDesign it indents everything as I wish. Where can I copy that format?

• 1. Re: Indent list items
          marcusstringer Community Member

Shift+enter is a soft return which is a continuation from the previous line.

The 5 indent -5 first line is what you need to put into your Paragraph style.

well that's how you do it in CS3 (you haven't said what version you are using)

• 2. Re: Indent list items
            suntrop Community Member

I am using CS4.

But why isn't my self defined list not acting like the one from InDesign?

• 3. Re: Indent list items
              MT.Freelance Community Member

How did you set up your paragraph style?

Are you using a TAB STOP to define the bullet indent? Or are you using INDENTS to define the bullet indent?

I suspect the former is the case.

You need to set up hanging indents where the bullet Left Indent is positive and the First Line Indent is negative.

Here is a screenshot example:

Screen shot 2010-07-30 at 11.36.18 AM.png

• 4. Re: Indent list items
                suntrop Community Member

MT.Freelance, thanks for your answer.

At the moment I left the second lines of my lists as they are, no tab stops or other.

I tought there muste be a "better" solution than +/- indent lines. It sounds a little bit not-so-cool :-)

I'll try it tomorrow in InDesign.

Thanks all and bey

suntrop

• 5. Re: Indent list items
                  peter at knowhowpro Community Member

suntrop wrote:

MT.Freelance, thanks for your answer.

At the moment I left the second lines of my lists as they are, no tab stops or other.

I tought there muste be a "better" solution than +/- indent lines. It sounds a little bit not-so-cool :-)

For one-line-only items, a simple indent is sufficient. However, for items longer than one line, as in your example where the bullet or number at the beginning of the line needs to align with the start of the item above it, and the wrapped-around line must align with the text of the item that begins after the number or bullet, you need to define the paragraph style to do that. A negative first-line indent and a positive rest-of-lines indent is the standard way to do this in all applications that can set type, not only InDesign. It's called a hanging indent.

Search Google for "hanging indent" or "InDesign hanging indent" without quotes for lots of info like this:

What is hanging indent? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia ...

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Indent list items
                    suntrop Community Member

Hi Peter. Thanks for your detailed answer! I'll use hanging indent in InDesign now

bey

suntrop