This content has been marked as final. Show 5 replies
By the way, I'm programming this in Director MX in OSX on a MacBook Pro (intel Duo chip). I haven't seen any bugs posted about the Intel CPUs except that playback needs to be through rosetta, which is what I'm doing.
How are you preloading the swa file? If you don't need it to loop, or
otherwise be available locally, why don't you stream it?
My program is constantly and simultaneously loading new images and playing sounds, so having them all stream wouldn't work. This is all working fine as long as I play them locally, but I'm just not getting the Shockwave to work.
My MP3 file is loading into the cast member (and I tested it by streaming and it worked too, as long as I play it from within the authoring environment). But it won't work when I try to play it in a browser.
My symptom now is that I'm getting a Shockwave error message that I don't have a SWA Audio Xtra that it needs. This happens when I create a new swa cast member. But I've loaded every SWA Xtra that I have, and nothing is working. When I click past that error message, it continues until it loads the file, and then it gives a Shockwave error message that it is having trouble with the Shockwave file. This is my mp3 file that I'm loading, and my understanding is that I can preload and play a MP3 file just like a swa file.
Perhaps my swa Xtra is corrupted? I've re-downloaded the Shockwave player, and I'm running in rosetta mode. Any ideas?
> My MP3 file is loading into the cast member (and I tested it by streaming and
> it worked too, as long as I play it from within the authoring environment). But
> it won't work when I try to play it in a browser.
When you test in your browser, have you uploaded the files, or are you
viewing them from your local machine? If the latter, you should read the
docs for 'dswmedia'.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I've uploaded all the files to a server, though. That isn't the problem.
I have found one answer. As I noted, I'm using Director MX. I used to use this often, but am mostly using Flash lately, so I kind of unearthed it for this project. I just found this technote, that explains a few unanswered problems I've seen posted over the last week (not just mine). It has to do with updated Xtras for Director MX. I have a feeling I have the same problem with my Shockwave Xtras, which on my system are left over from Director 8.5. This would explain the error messages. Also, when I tried to follow the path to the swa Xtras from my xtrainfo.txt, surprise surprise...they weren't in the www.macromedia.com folders! No wonder my browser is telling me it can't find them, although playing it locally has no problem...
NetLingo Xtra changes:
1. Fix for a browser only problem introduced with a recent security fix to the NetLingo Xtra.
Resolves netDone() Function returns 0 (FALSE), when used in a Shockwave movie netDone() function returns 0 (FALSE)
2. Allow errors (such as "url not found") to get caught while waiting for browser url resolution.