8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 9:46 AM by Christopher Duncan

CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

Christopher Duncan Level 2

Hey, guys.

I have a Premiere Pro project that's dead in the water because I can't render it - crashes PProHeadless if I include the video track with titles from the Titler. Without the titles track it renders fine, but of course that's not the final product that I need.

Consequently, Plan B is to render my edited footage from Premiere, import it into After Effects, do the titles and such that I need, and render the final output video from After Effects. Along those lines, I have a couple of questions.

I'm fairly new to all this. Is it a "normal" workflow to use PPro for just the edits and then simply import the rendered results of the project into AE, generating the final output of the entire movie from AE rather than PPro? If that's a strange way of doing things, I'd greatly value your insights on a better workflow.

With that in mind, my PPro footage is AVCHD and I'd like to preserve that quality coming into After Effects. When I render from Premiere, what's the best format / settings to use so that when I import into AE I've got the best quality footage to work with and can thus output to HD formats?

Obviously, you can do much cooler stuff in AE than PPro. I was using the PPro titler because it's a simple project and using the existing PPro title templates seemed the be the most productive method of getting it done rather than fiddling around for days in AE (which would of course be much more fun). However, if the titler in PPro is that fragile, I'd just as soon learn a new workflow so I can get the job done.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm fairly new to all this. Is it a "normal" workflow to use PPro for just the edits and then simply import the rendered results of the project into AE, generating the final output of the entire movie from AE rather than PPro?

Normally not. Compositing is usualyl limited to the snippets that need treatment nad then those are re-integrated in the edit suite. however, AE being something of a hybrid application and sharing considerable code with Premiere to handle certain footage types, it is possible and people do it all the time, so use this workflow, if it avoids issues in PPro

With that in mind, my PPro footage is AVCHD and I'd like to preserve that quality coming into After Effects. When I render from Premiere, what's the best format / settings to use so that when I import into AE I've got the best quality footage to work with and can thus output to HD formats?

Anything uncompressed or only binary compressed, meaning Quicktimes with Animation or PNG CoDecs, TIFF image sequences and such. If you can live with only mild visual compression, JPEG sequences at high quality settings and CoDecs ike Avid DNxHD (which is free) are also an option for intermediate workflows.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PracticalUSA wrote:

Hey, guys.

I have a Premiere Pro project that's dead in the water because I can't render it - crashes PProHeadless if I include the video track with titles from the Titler. Without the titles track it renders fine, but of course that's not the final product that I need.

Thanks,

Chris

You could make just the titles in AE and render them out to a intermediate file and see if Pro will render it.

• 3. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

Hey, Mylenium.

I've been watching some of the AE tutorials on Video Copilot and he typically renders QuickTime / Animation going out, but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate coming in. Based on what you say, it sounds like that's a good approach for input as well.

One of the other suggestions I've heard for this particular problem is to simply use PS for titles. That might be an approach that would give me simple titles and avoid the problems in PPro's titler, leaving AE for more elaborate and fun stuff. I haven't had any trouble with PPro rendering stuff from AE, it's just the title thing that cropped up, so unless I encounter other adventures I'll probably use AE more for the FX stuff it's designed for.

Thanks for the help, man. I do appreciate it.

Chris

• 4. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

Hey, Ann.

Good advice. I've not had any problems importing the AE stuff back into PPro, so for more elaborate titles that's what I'll do. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chris

• 5. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

I assume Pro is on the latest version: 4.2.1?

• 6. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

Yep, ran the updater just a day or so ago and have everything running the latest  version.

• 7. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

And still cannot render titles?

• 8. Re: CS4: Best import format from Premiere Pro?

Nope. In fact I didn't start posting about the problem until I'd exhausted all the obvious stuff like Adobe / Windows / hardware updates, searching the forums, GIYF, etc. Didn't want to get yelled at for being exceedingly stupid (although that certainly happens enough in life as it is).

It's obviously an edge case bug of some sort in their code, and something magical in my particular environment trips the wire. It is what it is. Since it seems that the titler has a history of being less than stable, rather than fixating on it I figure I'll just ditch it and go with the Photoshop suggestion for simple stuff and After Effects when I need more. Both of those options get me back to rendering the final output in Premeire, so it's all good.

I do appreciate you taking the time to help, though. The folks around here seem to be pretty cool.

Chris