3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 9:11 AM by atosbur

Error 1321 in Windows 7

shirleynorwood

Using Windows 7, have repeatedly (at the urging of the now annoying pop-up) tried to install update.  Goes all the way through the process until the almost very end, then undoes it all and gives the following message:

Error 1321.  The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Adobe\Reader9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.dll

NO info in Support Forum for Windows 7.

Who might have the power to give the Installer privileges?  It is my computer and am and have been the sole user.  What more does it want?

Should I attempt an uninstall and hope that if I reinstall it will be the updated version?

Thanks for any and all help.

• 1. Re: Error 1321 in Windows 7
          pwillener Level 8

Is your Windows user account an Administrator user?

If not, what are you trying to upgrade - Adobe Reader 9.3.2 to 9.3.3?  If so, try downloading the update http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe, then right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

• 2. Re: Error 1321 in Windows 7
            cshoki3

I just had the same problem.  I completely uninstalled Adobe Reader, and verified that the Adobe directory didn't exist at all in Program Files.  I downloaded the 9.3.3 exe install, and selected Run as Administrator (even though my account is in the admin group).

At each Error 1321, I let it sit for several seconds, and then hit retry.  I suspect McAfee Total Protection is overprotecting (as usual).  I got about 4 errors for different files, but after waiting and hitting Retry, I was able to complete the install.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Error 1321 in Windows 7
              atosbur Level 1

Hi,

I had the similar problem and I got it fixed with the inbuit tool on Win7 called "takeown", this tool allows an administrator to recover access to a file/folder that was denied by re-assigning file ownership.

Could you try the following?

Note: You must elevate the level of permissions for Win 7 with UAC enabled.
              On Windows 7
              Choose Start > Programs > Accessories.
              Right-click on Command Line and select Run As Administrator.

If Error 1321 is being caused due to some file e.g. if it's AcroRd32.dll, then it's containing folder e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" is to be mentioned in the below command line. The below command in blue can be typed at the command line and the end press Enter Key.

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /r /d y && icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /grant administrators:F SYSTEM:F /t

After running the command, you should be seeing something like this,

Successfully processed 1367 files; Failed processing 0 files

And then try installing Reader 9.3.3 from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe

Hope, it helps.