5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 8:13 PM by JJMack

Scripting the Liquify Filter

jugenjury Level 2

I'd like to know if anyone has found a way to have a script run the Liquify Filter, load a mesh, and accept.

Sometimes when I work on a file, I have multiple layers and I need to use the Liquify Filter to alter something, but it has to be identical on each layer. The way I'm doing it now is to run Liquify on the merged copy of all layers and save the mesh, then go through each layer and run Liquify and load the mesh then OK.

A script to do this would be nice. Script Listener only outputs up to running Liquify and doesn't output loading a mesh.

On another note, while using XTools to generate the script from the action, I noticed something odd. I have a few action groups. One is named Workflow and that's at the top. Another is named Tools and that's down the list further. In Workflow I have an action named "Liquify" and to get the code, I make an action named "Liquify" within the Tools group. When I ran the XTools "ActionToJavascript" action and chose Tools:Liquify, it actually converted the Liquify action within the Workflow group. I did this twice, then changed the name of the action and then it worked.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Scripting the Liquify Filter
          Michael L Hale Level 5

Are you getting the action to record the Liquify filter setttings?

When I try although the action has a step labeled 'Liquify' it does not do anything. If I run the action on a different layer there is no change to the layer.

• 2. Re: Scripting the Liquify Filter
            jugenjury Level 2

No. The only thing I can get the action to do is open up the Liquify Filter dialog. From that point on I have to do everything manually. I can't figure out how to pull anything from it nor input anything into it.

• 3. Re: Scripting the Liquify Filter
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

jugenjury wrote:

The only thing I can get the action to do is open up the Liquify Filter dialog. From that point on I have to do everything manually. I can't figure out how to pull anything from it nor input anything into it.

Even if you could pull setting from its dialog and set its settings.  I don't think there is a way to script brush strokes script just like an actions can not record brush strokes. So if brush strokes must be done manually what real value would the ability to program the Liquify Filter dialog be?

• 4. Re: Scripting the Liquify Filter
                jugenjury Level 2

Well, I'm not really trying to pull any settings from it nor script brush strokes. What I am trying to do is load an already saved mesh and apply it.

My first post in this discussion gives the breakdown of what I'm actually trying to do. But in order to do this, a script must be able to interact with the Liquify Filter and since Script Listener is very vague with this particular Filter, I can't figure out if it can be done.

• 5. Re: Scripting the Liquify Filter
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

jugenjury wrote:

Since Script Listener is very vague with this particular Filter, I can't figure out if it can be done.

The Script Listener may be vague because Actions can not even record the Liquify Filter dialog settings all that is recorded is a the Liquify Filter Step that if you turn on its dialog the Liquify Filter Dialog will open with what ever setting were last use with the filter.  Not the setting that should have been recorded in the action. These setting are frequently changes while you paint anyway so is recording setting any better then displaying the last setting used?

Action support must be built into filters to work with the Action Manager, that is a Filters/Plug-in must record their dialog setting into actions step when they are being recorded into an action and must pull their settings from the action step when the action step is played. Think of the Script Listener as an action recorder.

I have a find edge filter that a like that has no action support built in. Photoshop's action recorder doesn't even record a step for it. Just like a brush stroke records nothing. To use it  in an action I have to put out a stop message stop the action have the user use the filter then click play to continue the action process.

I understand you point about wanting to load a mesh but it seems to looks like everything else it will have to be done manually too. Just make sure it will show up in the load button list or is the only one in the load list.