9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 10:45 AM by Apple Z

Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only (Mac OS)

dtpphoto

This is strange.  I have PS CS5 on my laptop and desktop.  I have Mac os x 10.6.4 on both computers.  I have a new Lexmark s605 printer set up wireless that I use for general stuff and an Epson 2400 for photos.

I can print from all applications to the Lexmark from my desktop except Photoshop CS5.  It goes to the print queue and shows "Printing page 1 of 1" but just hangs, never prints.  I can print from PS CS5 from my desktop to my Epson 2400.  I can print from PS CS5 (wireless) from my laptop with no problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and PS CS5 on my desktop, same result.  All the firmware, systems and applications are up to date.  I am using 64 bit which prints from the laptop.  I tried 32 bit just for the heck of it from the desktop and it did not make a difference.  I've tried Lexmark support and Adobe support without much luck.   Adobe says it is Lexmark, Lexmark says it is Adobe.  Adobe says it does not support networked printers?  I would appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
          Dave Polaschek Adobe Employee

Try changing the name of the printer. Sometimes when we see this, there's a problem with some of the system-wide preferences for the printer, and changing the name of it will convince the OS that the preferences need to be rebuilt and everything starts working again. This seems to happen most often with network printers. Not sure why yet.

As a workaround, you should also be able to click "Preview" in the print settings dialog for this printer, which will print from Photoshop to Preview.app, and then you can print from that to the printer. I know it's not ideal, but it should let you print.

• 2. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
            dtpphoto Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion.  It did not work.  I did get some assistance from Adobe that started me on the right path.  I moved the CS5 preferences to the desktop and tried to print - still would not print.  Adobe then had me create a new user with admin status.  It would print from this new user.  They then referred me to Apple saying it was a system problem.  I called Apple support and they had me move preference files from the Library folder - anything that said "com.adobe.apple.print".  Restart and then it would print.  I posted this in case someone else would have the same or similar problem. 

• 3. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
              Level 4

Dave Polaschek wrote:

Try changing the name of the printer. Sometimes when we see this, there's a problem with some of the system-wide preferences for the printer, and changing the name of it will convince the OS that the preferences need to be rebuilt and everything starts working again. This seems to happen most often with network printers. Not sure why yet.

As a workaround, you should also be able to click "Preview" in the print settings dialog for this printer, which will print from Photoshop to Preview.app, and then you can print from that to the printer. I know it's not ideal, but it should let you print.

The significance of this post should not be overlooked.

Although Mr. Polashek is not identified as such, he is most definitely Adobe staff, and not just your run-of-the-mill employee, but the one responsible for the printing function in Photoshop (and perhaps other Adobe applications).

It's a good thing he's following the printing issues on this forum.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 4. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
                dtpphoto Level 1

I was very appreciative of Mr. Polaschek's response.  He was in fact the only person in about 4 tech forums (and about 200 views) that even replied to my frustrating situation. I spoke with Lexmark, Apple and Adobe initially and no one knew where to start or was willing to address it.  It was only the Adobe staff that started me in the right direction. I believe the other Adobe support person also stated changing the printer name would have been their first recommendation.  So thank you Dave and I apologize if I did not present express myself correctly.  My husband says I am a bull in a china shop.

• 5. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
                  Dave Polaschek Adobe Employee

Thanks for passing along that information from Apple. I'll dig into that a little deeper and see if I can figure out what's causing that system preference to get corrupted.

• 6. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
                    JRB-Illustrations

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only
                      Apple Z

I am having the same problems. I don't see any prefs in the library that say

"com.adobe.apple.print". My "print settings" button in the photoshop print dialog box is active but nothing happens when I click it. If I hit print button I get the error message: "Could not print because of a disk error."

OS 10.6.8

Running Photoshop 12.0.4

Trying to print on a network

Hardware:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro4,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Memory:          7 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:          4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:          MP41.0081.B08

SMC Version (system):          1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray):          1.39f5

Serial Number (system):          YM01911R4PC

Serial Number (processor tray):          C07015601BQDCVJAM

Hardware UUID:          AD6F5775-0159-5FA1-8C56-04FBC0E6FE19

Hardware:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro4,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Memory:          7 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:          4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:          MP41.0081.B08

SMC Version (system):          1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray):          1.39f5

Serial Number (system):          YM01911R4PC

Serial Number (processor tray):          C07015601BQDCVJAM

Hardware UUID:          AD6F5775-0159-5FA1-8C56-04FBC0E6FE19

• 8. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only (Mac OS)
                        jimloxley

I had this exact problem and thought that my drivers were up to date. After digging a little deeper into the version number though, it turned out that they weren't the latest ones. Updating them from the Lexmark site sorted the problem.

• 9. Re: Can't Print in PS CS5 from Desktop only (Mac OS)
                          Apple Z Level 1

I forgot to mention that we had a new network printer installed 3 weeks ago, a xerox 7535. I was able to print for about a week and then kaput. xerox tech was here today and was stumped and will get back to us. I can't print to acrobat/pdf in photoshop either. I get to that through print settings button and as I mentioned earlier that button is broken. 3 out of 4 Lion users here can print out of photoshop.