5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 8:36 AM by ECBowen

Mercury Performance with GTX470 (fermi)

Kramliw Level 1

Hi, Ive searched over for some kind of universal benchmark to verify the performance i am getting with my GTX470 card (hack enabled in the cudasupported text file and shows up project properties), but i have not found anything suitable. My gpu % utilization increases 0 to 5 to 8% during working inside premiere - espcially when thumbing thru frames, which is for the most part smooth (720p and about 4 layers of video). how does one benchmark the performance and compare it with what others are getting. Even though the system tells me that hardware accelleration is enabled i feel that taking 5-8% of GPU isnt enough. If anyone could direct me at a mercury/cuda and a database benchmark i would be grateful.

Pheom ii x6/GTX 470 (core 800MHz)/Premiere Pro CS5

• 2. Re: Mercury Performance with GTX470 (fermi)
          jabloomf1230 Level 1

Somewhere, buried down a few pages in this forum,  is a long discussion of the MPE, but to summarize it, the mix of CPU and GPU usage is all about balance. Between those two components, plus the amount of RAM and the speed of the disk subsystem, one factor will always be limiting. A perfectly balanced system could potentially max out all four components, but it is very unlikely.

You should also understand that the MPE uses the GPU only for certain things; mostly transitions and effects that are MPE-enabled. If you don't use those transitions and effects, you won't get the full benefit of the MPE. Lastly, most codecs only utilize the CPU, so neither decoding files, nor encoding the timeline, benefits from the GPU.

• 3. Re: Mercury Performance with GTX470 (fermi)
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Because as stated above regarding where the data goes, there is allot of threading that has to be processed by the CPU before the GPU is put to work. In our benchmarking and testing back when CS5 released, overclocking the CPU increased the load sent to the GPU and GPU ram significantly. This meant that the video card was waiting allot when the CPU was at stock speed for threads it needed to process. This means your AMD cpu is unable to really push the 470GTX beyond what you are seeing currently if the acceleration is on.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Mercury Performance with GTX470 (fermi)
              Kramliw Level 1

Yes, i realize now that without the SSE 4.1 instruction (that apparently mercury is based on), the AMD processors will be working very hard to achieve what the SSE4.1 chips will do. I have to do some reaarranging of the hardware to put an i7 instead. I have three further questions (related) what kind of GPU usage can one expect on a fermi, where the rest of the system isnt bottlenecking? Is the render activities the only areas where mercury benefits (as the benchmark methodology implies)? and Is there any more optimization for Fermi (although not officially supported) - from the results in this benchmark - it appears to perform well wrt quadro systems? Thanks for all the help!

• 5. Re: Mercury Performance with GTX470 (fermi)
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The average % will vary based on the effects and codec used. On average you will see 25% to 45% when the GPU is under load. The realtime preview is also enhanced by the MPE. The only optimizations have to do with the Adaptive Power or C-State changes for the GPU. Turning that off is important along with having Direct X updated.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful