9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 10:42 PM by wattscott

Edit a PDF file

qtrhoss

In the past I have been able to edit PDF downloads, But I am now unable to do so. Example being, when I downloaded the last two PDF forms from separate sources, I have not been able to Fill in the blanks, so that I can print, sign and return as requested. This has never been a broblem in the past.

I can place the curser on the line, or in the box that I want to add info to, but am unable to type anything onto the page.

What setting do I need to change? or where might my problem be?

Never a problem until an auto update occured a while back.

• 1. Re: Edit a PDF file
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More than likely you have gotten ahold of forms that are not fillable. The creator has to actually add thse fillable fields so that Reader can be used to fill them in.

Instead of using the cursor, use the hand tool and mouse over the fields, if they turn to a cursor then they should be fillable. If not, then they aren't.

• 2. Re: Edit a PDF file
            qtrhoss Level 1

I can place a blinking curser anywhere I please on the page, but at that point I am no longer

able to do anything.

example; Type my response to the questions in the block, on on a line.

I have used these types of forms many times w/o trouble. As I said, I have two files awaiting information from two separate sources, and neither will work.

One of thes specificly states to type the information in the provided location, and return to sender???????

• 3. Re: Edit a PDF file
              qtrhoss Level 1

Wondering if someting has gotten messed up in the setting on my computer???

• 4. Re: Edit a PDF file
                CDShowers23

Have you attempted a re-install? or a repair? (add remove programs)

• 5. Re: Edit a PDF file
                  qtrhoss Level 1

Ran the repair from the help file..... Which was no help......

• 6. Re: Edit a PDF file

qtrhoss wrote:

I can place a blinking curser anywhere I please on the page, but at that point I am no longer

able to do anything.

But did you do as I said and try adding a blinking cursor while you have the hand tool selected? The hand tool will only allow you to add a "cursor" to areas of a form that are fillable.

Igfyou have the select tool, it will allow you to place a cursor but you can't do anything. That tool is for highlighting text not typing in to forms.

• 7. Re: Edit a PDF file
                      qtrhoss Level 1

graffiti;

Thanks for the help. have tried your suggestion, and if you are correct, the form is not fillable. which I was having a hard time believing since it states directly on it to "Please fill in your responses, click print and return to.........." Also coming from this particular source it seemed unlikey that this could be a mistake. But it seems it is. Along with that, the other Doc I mentioned earlier that has the same problem. Hope you can see my confusion.

Thank you for the help. I will mark this answered.

• 8. Re: Edit a PDF file

Their verbiage may be a little off. They probably should have said "click print then fill out..."

If you have a link to one of the forms we can check out to be certain, I'd be glad to do it but I believe we won't find anything different.

• 9. Re: Edit a PDF file
                          Level 1

Hi, here I recommend you this article how to edit pdf text I found from Google, maybe you can take it for reference and hope it helps.