6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 10:39 AM by jasonmphoto

getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options

jasonmphoto

I'm currently using Premiere Pro CS5 to edit Canon 7d 1080p/24 footage and find (with my current laptop) the editing experience isn't as performant as I need. It plays one video track fine, even with a single curves or fast color corrector, but something as simple as a cross dissolve between two bits of footage often stutters.

My current laptop is:

• T9900 duo core 3.06gHz CPU (effectively 6.1gHz of cpu)
      • 4gm RAM
      • blazing SSD
      • 256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

My options for the new laptop primarily hinge on faster CPU vs. a better graphics card.

Option #1

• Quad CPU 2.53gHz (effectivly 10.1gHz of cpu)
      • quadro fx 770m w/512mb

Option #2

• i7 quad 1.86gHz (effectively 7.4gHz of cpu)
      • quadro fx 1800m w/1gb

The option 1 has 30% more cpu than option 2 (discounting bus speed, etc) but will see no GPU acceleration in Premiere since the graphics card has less than 768mb of Ram.

The option 2 has 30% less cpu but the GPU would be used by Premiere.

My question is, which one will give me the best editing performance?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Besides the CPU, think about your physical HDD's. Add as many as you can. The SSD will be fine for OS, programs, and probably Page File, but 2x additional SATA HDD's will really help things along.

I like the Sager laptops, but others are starting to offer multiple HDD's too.

Others can direct you on the CPU, but I have to admit that I'm not as current, as I should be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
            Harm Millaard Level 7

There is a fundamental flaw in your thinking that you can multiply clock speed and number of cores to get effective speed. It does not work that way. That is about equal to saying you have a 4.0 liter engine getting 24 MPG with 4 cylinders, so a 12 cylinder engine will consume 8 MPG (3 x 4).

I concur with Bill, get a Sager with at least 2 physical SATA 7200 RPM disks, 8+ GB of memory, an i7-8xx+ CPU (quad core with HT) and a MPE capable 1 GB video card (Quadro 3800M+), possibbly in addition to your blazing SSD.

Option 1 & 2 are under specced.

• 3. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What CPU is in option 1?

Have you looked at Neo Scene rather than upgrading the laptop now?

The other replies are correct regarding those options lacking in power to handle the DSLR H264 natively. Either look at Neo Scene or look for a laptop with a Desktop CPU.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
                jasonmphoto Level 1

Thanks for the tip ECBowen. Your right that using Neo Scene, or some equiv transcoder, would definltey help the editing performance and I hadn't considered that approach. Could save me some time until they start putting better hardware in laptops. That said I really prefer to edit the files natively for all the obvious reasons.

Perhaps I should reframe my original question:

Has anyone editing using CS5 on a laptop with the NVidia 1800m graphics card and, if so, how many parralel hd video tracks with varying opacity are you able to edit (at what playback resolution) smoothly?

This kind of (relatively simple) sequence:

edit.png

Thanks!

Jason

• 5. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

When dealing with DSLR H264 at 1080P24, the real weight is on the CPU. The Mobile GPU will not carry the load for you even if you add it to the supported list. Your question should be " has anyone edited 7D material with these mobile CPU's and how has the preview been". That will probably get the answer you want.

BTW It doesn't hurt to try Neo Scene with the 7D material since they have a free trial. I am not sure why you would want to edit it natively if you have a better option to edit it with and still use the current hardware.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: getting new editing laptop, need advice on couple options
                    jasonmphoto Level 1

Thanks ECBowen. That sounds right, I'll repost a new question.