1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 10:40 PM by EileenPalsson

Removing unused files from the user's ability to search

vaprocura
      I have a lot of topics that I have not added to my TOC. Any of those topics could display to the user when they use Microsoft HTML Help to perform a search via its Search tab, what is the best way to remove those topics that I don't want to appear to them? Some of them are being referenced via hyperlinks so I can't just get rid of them by deleting everything that is not in the TOC.
        • 1. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi vaprocura

Is this for compiled .CHM output? If so, you will probably find the following approach is probably best.

Step behind RoboHelp's back and rename each unwanted topic from using .HTM extension to .XHTM. Then, within RoboHelp HTML, methodically add each of these to your list of Baggage Files. After you have done this, make sure anything inside RoboHelp is correctly referencing the file with the new .XHTM extension. Then recompile.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
            bdeeb
            Hi Rick:

I have something similar to this but there is an exception. I have several books where the same topic will be referenced in each. I need the Topic to be seen in the TOC under each book but only display in the search once when the user performs a Search in Webhelp. Currently when searching a specific topic it will return multiple searches, as many times as I have it indicated in the project.

Example:

Bookkeepers User Guide
            Topic - Cash Sales

SX.e User Guide
            Topic - Cash Sales

User performs a Search in WebHelp - topic Cash Sales returns two searches.

I only want Webhelp to return one search.

Also each Topic in my project is linked with a Next and Previous link that brings the user to the next topic. If I use a Build Tag of "Not" then the link is greyed out and the user can not click on it to get to the next page.

I am using RoboHelp x5

Please let me know if changing the htm file to xhtm will help in this situation as well.

Thanks,

Amy
            • 3. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
              Hi Amy

The TOC may reference a specific topic more than once. For example, you may have 10 links to the same topic from different spots in your TOC if you need to.

Assuming that you don't much care for this approach, you could also create a redirect topic for each TOC node. All redirects would point to the same topic. In either case, the topic would truly only exist a single time in the project. Hence, the search should only find one instance.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                Lew at Chyron
                New to this forum and need help with basic question.

The RoboHelp for HTML Version 7's OWN HELP says something completely INSANE:

"Unused files report

You cannot remove these files from within your project. Use Windows Explorer to delete the files.

Note: Avoid using Windows Explorer or your version-control application to remove files. The Project Manager cannot
                update file references. This results in broken links, missing images in topics, etc."

That is two INSANELY contradictory sentences in a row.

Does anybody know how I can safely remove Unused Files? Had no problem generating the report, and I can't worry about the report misleading me into removing something that IS needed until I try to remove files.

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                  Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                  They haven't excluded a hammer and chisel so try that. :-)

Clearly the help is flawed. Unused files should be removed using Windows Explorer for the simple reason they do not appear in Project Manager. That makes removing them from there rather difficult.

I would suggest you create a backup of the project first just in case something goes wrong.

This one is as good as the now corrected topic on what to do if you lost your serial number. You had to phone and guess what one of the pieces of information you had to have was. You got it, the serial number. Boom boom.

• 6. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                    Lew at Chyron Level 1
                    Egg-sellent, Smithers. I'll try just that. Thanks for the advice, Peter.
                    • 7. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                      EileenPalsson Level 1
                      Hi,

We've been using Peter's solution for popup definition topics that we don't want to show up as hits when users search.

The problem with this solution is that you can no longer see them in RoboHelp! So, for example, it's a PITA to add links to those topics. And you tend to forget they're even in the project at all.

Seems like there ought to be an better way to exclude topics from the search.

Eileen
                      • 8. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                        It's not my solution, I cannot take credit for it.

• 9. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                          EileenPalsson Level 1
                          Well, I only meant that you posted it. Sorry, I didn't mean to blame you for it. :-)
                          • 10. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                            No I wasn't try to defend myself over the problem you have with it. I just didn't want to take credit for having come up with the solution.

• 11. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                              RoboWizard Level 4
                              Hi all

LOL - Peter wasn't the one that posted it either! I was. But even then it wasn't me that arrived at the solution. I was only parroting what Pete Lees initially suggested.

Eileen, please do take a moment and complete a Wish form to request this feature be added to RoboHelp. After all, if Adobe is unaware of the need, it's likely we will never see it emerge as a feature! And that would would be a doozy for many folks to have.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick
                              • 12. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                EileenPalsson Level 1
                                Oops! Now I see who really posted it. And I blame no one! It is a solution that works. :-)

And Rick, I did report this issue (Macromedia Product Support Incident [8207861]) in late December 2004 -- for all the good it did. We didn't get any sort of reponse, and after I emailed Support a couple of times, they replied that they couldn't find the bug report but would re-enter it in their bug database. Then we never heard from them again.

I don't even know if the issue still exists in RH7, so I hesitate to report it again. Perhaps it's actually been fixed there.

Eileen
                                • 13. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                  Pete Lees Level 2
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: RoboWizard
                                  I was only parroting what Pete Lees initially suggested.

I nicked the idea from Rob Chandler...

Pete
                                  • 15. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                    EileenPalsson Level 1
                                    quote:

Step behind RoboHelp's back and rename each unwanted topic from using .HTM extension to .XHTM. Then, within RoboHelp HTML, methodically add each of these to your list of Baggage Files. After you have done this, make sure anything inside RoboHelp is correctly referencing the file with the new .XHTM extension. Then

Besides the disadvantage I already mentioned (the fact that XHTM files don't show up in RH Explorer), I just discovered another one: Popup links to XHTM topics don't work on Windows Server 2003 when viewed using Internet Explorer 7. Nothing happens when you click them. You just see "Error on page" in the status bar (if your status bar is turned on)

The server is already set as a "trusted site", so this does not seem to be a security problem.

Anybody know a workaround for that? Urgent!

/Eileen
                                    • 16. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                      RoboWizard Level 4
                                      Hi Eileen

I suppose I would try and sort the root cause. Is it the fact that the files are .XHTM? I would think you could easily confirm that by creating a simple link to one of them. Maybe the Windows 2003 server doesn't like that file type.

Assuming the link works, it would seem logical to conclude it's not an issue with Windows 2003 server and perhaps we are looking at a different issue.

The next step would be to ensure the location of the files match what is expected. Maybe when adding to Baggage, you failed to factor in the folder where the file was located? It's quite easy to add things in the wrong place with Baggage.

Just pondering out loud... Rick
                                      • 17. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                        EileenPalsson Level 1
                                        Rick, thank you for pondering with me.

It IS the fact that the files are XHTM. Popups to HTM files work fine. The files are found in the location where they are expected. And the popup hotspots work just fine on Windows XP. It's Windows Server 2003 that doesn't like them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
                                        Eileen
                                        • 18. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                          EileenPalsson Level 1
                                          Rick, thank you for pondering with me.

It IS the fact that the files are XHTM. Popups to HTM files work fine. The files are found in the location where they are expected. And the popup hotspots work just fine on Windows XP. It's Windows Server 2003 that doesn't like them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
                                          Eileen
                                          • 19. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                            See Snippet 57 on my site. Different problem but I wonder if it is related?

• 20. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                              EileenPalsson Level 1
                                              Hi,
                                              I read the snippet and passed it on to our developer who is working on the problem. However, doesn't the fact that popups to HTM files are working fine imply that the security settings in Windows 2003 Server are not blocking JS files? If that were the case, NONE of the popups would work. The popups are all controlled by ehlpdhtm.js, right?
                                              /Eileen
                                              • 21. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                True. Sorry head cold stopping me thinking clearly.

• 22. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                  RoboWizard Level 4
                                                  My own guess here is that for some reason the 2003 server doesn't much like serving up XHTM files. Maybe there is a configuration setting in there somewhere.
                                                  • 23. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                    So maybe the Snippet was on the right track, a file type that has not been registered.

• 24. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                      RoboWizard Level 4
                                                      As Homer would say....

D'oh! Sorry about that! I really should get out more and read through those again.

Darn house...
                                                      • 25. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                        EileenPalsson Level 1
                                                        We have given up on this. XHTML files were registered on the server, and we could not find any more problems. It seems to be a combination of XHTML and the Java script on Windows Server 2003.

I am going to undo the change we made to exclude topics from the Search functionality (changing file names from XHTM back to HTM). Unfortunately our project has been translated, so I have to do this in several language versions. :-/ Lots of manual work.

I think we can conclude (until somebody comes up with a solution) that the suggested way of excluding help topics from searches will not work if the output is WebHelp to be run on Windows Server 2003.

Thanks, people, for trying to help. I will keep my eye on this in case a solution comes to light.

In the meantime, does anybody know of any OTHER way to exclude topics from the search?

Thanks
                                                        Eileen
                                                        • 26. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                          MergeThis Level 4
                                                          You might want to look at the third-party Zoom Search. For some helpful hints, check out Peter Grainge's tutorial.

Good luck,
                                                          Leon
                                                          • 27. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                            RoboWizard Level 4
                                                            Hi Eileen

Apologies to all if this was discussed and I missed it. I've not yet had my first cuppa and I was up late watching history unfold.

There does exist another way to exclude files.

The short of it is that you apply a Conditional Build tag to the topics that should be excluded. Then you generate the WebHelp using a Build Expression to exclude them. Copy that content to one folder of your hard drive. Generate again without the Build Expression. Now you take the navigation part and overwrite the second with the first. The end result should be a navigation structure that has no ability to search these unwanted topics.

Cheers... Rick
                                                            • 28. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                              EileenPalsson Level 1
                                                              Hmm, sounds interesting. Thank you for the idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the navigation part". I guess you mean the WebHelp files that control navigation. I'm not sure which files those are, but I guess I could figure it out.

This doesn't affect linking and such? The topics I want to exclude are bare-bones popups without titles, but there are links to them all over the place.

/Eileen
                                                              • 29. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                Hi Eileen

See if the links below help you out.
                                                                Link number one
                                                                Link number two

Cheers... Rick
                                                                • 30. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                  Roger N Level 2
                                                                  Eileen, Rick, Peter, et. al.:

Hey, howzit goin?

Some time back, I created several scripts to filter and modify search results. Here is one to hide specific files, created in '06. I know it works for the previous version of Webhelp, but I haven't looked to see if the lastest version of the function displayTopics() has changed...

Basically, you'll alter a script found in whfhost.js that displays the Search pane, so the displayTopics() function skips files with a special prefix.

You'll: 1) add the prefix to the files to hide, and 2) add the bit-o-script to the whfhost.js file:

1) add the text 'popup_' to the front of the filename of each file you wish to hide. Or, use your own term to denote hidden files (like "hidden_").

2) In the generated WebHelp folder, open whfhost.js to the function displayTopics(); Replace the part of that function found in whfhost.js that looks like the first snip, and replace it with the second, prettier script.

Note: There are two almost identical lines in the replacement script, one version for testing on your workstation, the second to actually use when posting on the server. Move the comment slashes from the second to the first version before you post it online.

var Search_xstart = Search_URL.lastIndexOf("\\") + 1 // TEST LOCALLY - start of filename -
                                                                  // var Search_xstart = Search_URL.lastIndexOf("/") + 1 // USE WHEN ONLINE - start of filename -

Replace:

============[ SNIP : ORIGINAL SCRIPT ]===========================

function displayTopics()
                                                                  {
                                                                  var sHTML="";
                                                                  var sLine="";
                                                                  for(var i=0;i<gaTI.length;i++){
                                                                  sLine+="<dt><nobr><a href='"+gaTI .sTopicURL+"'>"+_textToHtml(gaTI.sTopicTitle)+"</a></nobr></dt>";
                                                                  if(i>>4<<4==i)
                                                                  {
                                                                  sHTML+=sLine;
                                                                  sLine="";
                                                                  }
                                                                  }

============[ END SNIP ]========================================

with this:

============[ SNIP: REPLACEMENT SCRIPT ]========================

function displayTopics()
                                                                  {
                                                                  var Search_noShow = "popup_"; // 6 chars
                                                                  var sHTML="";
                                                                  var sLine="";
                                                                  for(var i=0;i<gaTI.length;i++){

var Search_URL = gaTI .sTopicURL // search result is already escaped

var Search_xstart = Search_URL.lastIndexOf("\\") + 1 // TEST LOCALLY - start of filename -
                                                                  // var Search_xstart = Search_URL.lastIndexOf("/") + 1 // USE WHEN ONLINE - start of filename -

var Search_xend = Search_URL.length // end of filename
                                                                  var Search_tName = Search_URL.substring(Search_xstart,Search_xend) // filename

var Search_tPath = Search_URL.substring(0,Search_xstart) // path, might need it later
                                                                  var Search_tNamePrefix = Search_URL.substring(Search_xstart,Search_xstart+6) // 6-char prefix

if (Search_noShow == Search_tNamePrefix)
                                                                  {
                                                                  }
                                                                  else {
                                                                  sLine+="<dt><nobr><a href='"+gaTI
                                                                  .sTopicURL+"'>"+_textToHtml(gaTI .sTopicTitle)+"</a></nobr></dt>";
                                                                  if(i>>4<<4==i)
                                                                  {
                                                                  sHTML+=sLine;
                                                                  sLine="";
                                                                  }
                                                                  }
                                                                  }

===========[ END SNIP ]======================================
                                                                  • 31. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                    EileenPalsson Level 1
                                                                    Thank you, Rick, for the links to step-by-step instructions, and thank you, Roger, for the alternative solution.

Since I work in a team and we are constantly rotating projects, I don't feel confident implementing either one of those solutions right now. I believe the system would break down after the first or second switch to a different writer. And hiding specific topics isn't a top priority in my current project to push this on my colleagues. We'd need a simpler solution, like the XHTM one, to make it worthwhile.

I'll keep these possibilities in mind for future situations, though.

Thanks again.
                                                                    Eileen
                                                                    • 32. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                      Drum roll for the return of Mr Nilsson. Thought you had got frozen in. :-)

Guess I'll have to play with that script. Good to see you again.

• 33. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                        Roger N Level 2
                                                                        Hey Peter -

thanks, but no drum roll necessary - I'm not much for a lotta fanfare.

I've been a bit distracted lately, but life goes on.

And, <looking around>... I thought this place could use a little Javascript ....
                                                                        • 34. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                          RoboWizard Level 4
                                                                          Hi Roger

OMG!!! Is Stephanie your daughter? Is she okay?

Sorry to hear about that. I'll echo Peter's comments. Nice seeing you around!

Cheers... Rick
                                                                          • 35. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                            Roger

I am so sorry. Like Rick, I am hoping that at least your daughter is OK.
                                                                            • 36. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                              Roger N Level 2
                                                                              Both Steph and Erica (she lost David, her fiance) have healed well, and Erica brought a new little one into the world: Davina Jamie Nilsson, born February 10th, 4:35am... Without daddy, I am papa. She is such a blessing, words cannot describe...

Life is good.

• 37. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                                Hey Roger

Congrats! I'm so happy to hear things turned out well. Little ones are fun, no? (I have a 5 year old grandson myself)

Cheers... Rick
                                                                                • 38. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                                  bdeeb Level 1

"The TOC may reference a specific topic more than once. For example, you may have 10 links to the same topic from different spots in your TOC if you need to.

Assuming that you don't much care for this approach, you could also create a redirect topic for each TOC node. All redirects would point to the same topic. In either case, the topic would truly only exist a single time in the project. Hence, the search should only find one instance".

Hi Rick:

I tried applying the Unconditional Build tag(s) (TAG1 and TAG2) to the applicable topics I wished to display in the search and those topics that were duplicates to not display in the search. This did work beautifully with the exception, the duplicate topics were removed from the TOC.

I am really trying to find an easy way around this situation so any help would be appreciated.

I am not understanding what you mean by creating a redirect topic for each TOC node. I tried using the RoboHelp x5 Help as well as searching online and could not seem find anything remotely like this.

Again this is how the search displays:

Perform Search for ARRO:

Results:
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Open Receivable Cash Account Report - (Belongs to the Bookkeepers User Guide - there is a Next link at the bottom of the page that brings you to the next topic and so on)

ARRO - AR Open Receivable Cash Account Report - (Belongs to the Bookkeepers Guidelines)
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Open Receivable COD Account Report - (Belongs to the Bookkeepers User Guide)
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Open Receivable COD Account Report - (Belongs to the Reports Guide)
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Unallocated Credits Report - (Belongs to the Reports Guide)
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Unallocated Credits Report - (Belongs to the Bookkeepers Guidelines)
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Unallocated Credits Report - (Belongs to the Reports Guide)

In the TOC each user guide has its own book, each book has their own independete topic(s). If there are duplicate topics throughout the project these were created by right-clicking the first topic created and selecting Duplicate. I then changed the links of the Previous and Next at the bottom of the page and the Book Mark in the title to reflect the book I am working in as well as the Properties to reflect the appropriate topic name and guide.

Table Of Contents

Bookkeepers User Guide

ARRO - AR Unallocated Credits Report
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Open Receivable Cash Account Report
                                                                                  ARRO - AR OPen Receivable COD Account Report
                                                                                  GLRA - Credit Card Transaction Report

Bookkeepers Guidelines

Void And Lost Business Report

Reports Guide

ARRO - AR Open Receivable COD Account Report
                                                                                  ARRO - AR Open Reeceivable Cash Account Report

my goal is to show the output of the TOC as is but when searching for ARRO only one topic for each should display search.

Any ideas you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

• 39. Re: Removing unused files from the user's ability to search
                                                                                    Authorgirl Level 1
                                                                                    Captiv8r said:
                                                                                    "Step behind RoboHelp's back and rename each unwanted topic from using .HTM extension to .XHTM. Then, within RoboHelp HTML, methodically add each of these to your list of Baggage Files. After you have done this, make sure anything inside RoboHelp is correctly referencing the file with the new .XHTM extension. Then recompile."

I need to do this but I don't know where my baggage files are in RH7. I can't see anything with this name although I remember having seen a Baggage File folder in previous versions of RH. Where should I be looking?

Thanks
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next