5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 7:53 PM by Albert Potgieter

New Computer and CS5

Albert Potgieter

Help Needed!

I am looking to buy a new computer for general use with the capabilities of running the CS5 Master Suite collection.

Would this Dell Alienware configuration do the job?

Alienware Area-51 Chassis

PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 930 Quad Core Processor (3.36GHz, 8MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

VIDEO CARD Single 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480

MEMORY 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory

HARD DRIVE 1.5TB RAID 0 (2x 750GB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)

ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD)

SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Cost around $3400.00

Harm, it seems like you are the hardware guru around here, so I would also appreciate your input.

Thanks for any help offered.

• 1. Re: New Computer and CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Despite the ridiculous price of $ 130 I would upgrade to Win 7 64 Pro. Here is the main reason:

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

• Starter: 8GB
          • Home Basic: 8GB
          • Home Premium: 16GB
          • Professional: 192GB
          • Enterprise: 192GB
          • Ultimate: 192GB

I would forget about the two 750 G disk in raid0 and just use the standard 640 G disk. Also forget the additional hard disk and the Sound Blaster card from Dell/Alienware. Savings: $ 400.

Use on board sound and get three 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 disks from Newegg or similar. Cost around $ 65 each, instead of the ridiculous $ 125 at Dell/Alienware. Build them in yourself. Your storage capacity increases from 2.5 TB to 3.6 TB, performance increases and it saves you around $ 130, which is the extra cost of Win7 64 Pro.

Use this guide for your setup: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Computer and CS5
            Albert Potgieter Level 1

Harm, thank you very much for your feedback about the OS and hard drive setup.

As far as the processor, video card and memory goes, would that be OK for running the Adobe CS master suite. I understand the system is not high end when it comes to video editing, but is it reasonable at the price tag of $3,400? Also, your impression about the quality of Dell Alienware.

PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 930 Quad Core Processor (3.36GHz, 8MB Cache)

VIDEO CARD Single 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480

MEMORY 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory

• 3. Re: New Computer and CS5
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

1333 is a tad weak memory should be 1600.

for that price you can buy from an NLE builder who actually supports and knows Adobe, rather than some gaming company!

google "adobe nle computer"

Scott

ADK

• 4. Re: New Computer and CS5
                Dailey Pike Level 1

Hello Albert,

I considered the computer you mentioned but went with a smaller company and with their help built a truly custom computer.

Another reason I didn't go with Dell is their customer support which isn't very supportive.

My system?

Windows 7 Pro

CS5 Production Premium

i7 980X CPU

285 GTX GPU

24 GB RAM

LG BluRay

1 TB OS drive

2 TB Raid 0 render drive

2 TB Raid 0 source drive

CS5 was installed and tested before the system was shipped. They also give you lifetime support. Just a phone call away. No being endlessly switched from one person to another who can't answer my questions.

Who built it?

The aforementioned Scott Chichelli of ADK.

For the record I have no relationship with Scott or his company other than they built me a great system which has worked flawlessly since I plugged it in.

• 5. Re: New Computer and CS5
                  Albert Potgieter Level 1

Yeliad,

Thank you for your post. I had a phone conversation with ADK this afternoon and was very impressed with the service. I think I have decided to go with them in building me a system. I just couldn't get a Dell or HP that fit the bill and feel assured that I will not be disappointed.

Albert