3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 11:18 PM by Mylenium

Crop not working between Premiere and AE?

Simon Bjork

I opened a Premiere project file in AE that had a lot of animation done in Premiere. Scale, position, and so on worked as expected. But, some files also had animated crops, that did'nt carry over. A mask is applied to the layer, but not animated. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? The original source in the Premiere project is a Final Cut XML, but shouldn't be the problem as everything works perfectly in Premiere, crops aswell. Ideas?

• 1. Re: Crop not working between Premiere and AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't think it's a bug, but rather a design limitation. The cropping mask is calculated on the first frame from the info in the PPro file, but then never again which probably relates to how AE does not allow access to individual vertex points and saves all mask transforms as a compound keyframe type. Perfectly logical and normal, if you ask me (though I too rarely use Premiere to qualify as offering the best answer...). You will probably have to think of otehr ways of doing it (corner pin/ 4point mask; stacked linear wipes etc.) or rebuild the animated crops in AE.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Crop not working between Premiere and AE?
            Simon Bjork Level 1

Well, if that is the case, wouldn't it make sense that AE used linear wipes as crops instead of masks? I was expecting AE to work perfectly with Premiere on basic stuff like this...

• 3. Re: Crop not working between Premiere and AE?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Na, forgive me, but that's a slightly naive version of things. Translation between two programs that work fundamentally different is always bound to loss of some information and specific decision have to be made on how to implement things. Since AE has no native crop property for layers, I'm sure the decision to use a mask instead of another effect relates to retaining a specific rendering order when things are brought in from Premiere. So on some level it makes perfect sense, it just sucks because it doesn't handle animated crops. But well, you could always file a feature request and hope it gets fixed/ enhanced in the next version. In the meantime, re-evaluating and changing your workflow is probably the only thing you can do. Since your original project came from FCP, also consider bypassing Premiere and using tools like Boris XML Transfer or Automatic Duck. This may allow to retain more features.

Mylenium