5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 11:32 AM by mccambp@fdny.nyc.gov

Lose draft after selecting Send for Review

mccambp@fdny.nyc.gov

I am running Contribute CS4 and CPS.  We have approx 12 websites that we manage with Contribute, all PC's are running Windows XP.  I recently sent a non-Contribute user a draft and noticed something very strange.  After selecting the 'Send e-mail with a link to preview the draft' option, my email window popped up, the URL was sent (in the email) but when I went back to the draft and either tried to save it or edit it (which Contribute typically permits you to do), I received the message 'You can't perform this action on this draft. The draft is invalid because a lock has been broken and another instance might have already acted on this draft. Contribute will remove this invalid draft from your machine.'.  I am set-up as Admin and this has never happened before.  The draft is completely gone from seeing it via Contribute (I can locate it by going to the server but my users will never have this option).  Why is this happening?  I have spent eight hours troubleshooting and not making any progress.  Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Lose draft after selecting Send for Review
          Krishna Prasad B V

Hi,

Can you try the following steps:

After sending the draft for review through e-mail,select another draft which you are currently editing, and then switch back to the draft which you had sent for review. Now, you would be able to Save For Later or continue editing.

You can also, try creating new web pages, and then, switch back to the draft which you had sent for review.

If the above steps do not work, quit Contribute relaunch it, and, select the draft you had sent for review through e-mail.

In BTW, this issue is not there in Contribute CS5. Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Lose draft after selecting Send for Review
            mccambp@fdny.nyc.gov Level 1

Thanks for your help but I cannot do that.  I cannot use the email review process because I receive the 'you cannot perform this action on this draft' message after I send the draft and go back to it.

-  I create the new draft

-  While still in edit mode I select Send > Send for review > Send email with a link to a preview of a draft

-  My email box comes up and I send the email with includes a link to the draft

-  I go back to the draft (which is still in edit mode) and when I click Publish or Save for Later, I get the following message 'You can't perform this action on this draft.  The draft is invalid because a lock has been broken and another instance might have already acted on this draft. Contribute will remove this invalid draft from your machine.'

Thank you...will wait for your reply.  I am doing this as Administrator and also tried this as Publisher.....same result.

Patrick

• 3. Re: Lose draft after selecting Send for Review

One thing I forgot to mention, when I go back to the draft after I send a link via email, the draft disappears (this is when I get the message 'you can't perform this action on this draft'.  I no longer have any access to that draft.  It is gone from the draft console.  You cannot go back to it.  Just like the message states, Contribute removes that draft from my machine.

>>> Krishna Prasad B V <forums@adobe.com> 8/3/2010 5:30 AM >>>

Hi,

Can you try the following steps:

After sending the draft for review through e-mail,select another draft which you are currently editing, and then switch back to the draft which you had sent for review. Now, you would be able to Save For Later or continue editing.

You can also, try creating new web pages, and then, switch back to the draft which you had sent for review.

If the above steps do not work, quit Contribute relaunch it, and, select the draft you had sent for review through e-mail.

In BTW, this issue is not there in Contribute CS5. Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Lose draft after selecting Send for Review
                Krishna Prasad B V Level 3

Hi,

The steps I was indicating was:

1. Create a web page/Edit a web page.
                2. Make some changes.
                3. Send the web page to review by e-mail.
                4. When you switch back to Contribute, select a different draft you were editing or switch to browse mode and then select the draft which you had sent to review by e-mail again.
                5. Now, can you try Publish or Save for Later or any other operation.

The thing is, you have to do selecting of different draft or switching to browser after sending the mail and switching back to Contribute (Note: Before you try to Publish or Save for Later or do any other operation, try switching to another draft and back, or, switching to browse mode and back).

If this does not work, try quitting and launching Contribute once, and then, try the above steps, and check whether you are losing the draft.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Lose draft after selecting Send for Review

Hi Krishna, we cannot ask our clients to do this, although I appreciate the work-around you are offering.  We will probably consider using CS5.  I understand this bug (per Adobe) is fixed in CS5.  Thank you.

>>> Krishna Prasad B V <forums@adobe.com> 8/5/2010 8:31 AM >>>

Hi,

The steps I was indicating was:

1. Create a web page/Edit a web page.

2. Make some changes.

3. Send the web page to review by e-mail.

4. When you switch back to Contribute, select a different draft you were editing or switch to browse mode and then select the draft which you had sent to review by e-mail again.

5. Now, can you try Publish or Save for Later or any other operation.

The thing is, you have to do selecting of different draft or switching to browser after sending the mail and switching back to Contribute (Note: Before you try to Publish or Save for Later or do any other operation, try switching to another draft and back, or, switching to browse mode and back).

If this does not work, try quitting and launching Contribute once, and then, try the above steps, and check whether you are losing the draft.

Hope this helps.