8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 8:42 AM by laplinp RSS

Video playback stuck in fast-forward

D_Green314 Community Member

For some odd reason, whenever I go to play back any video I've recorded in OnLocation CS5 it plays in a very strange way. It's fine for the first clip that pops up, but whenever I switch over to Source or to another clip, then everything goes south (when I switch back to the original clip, it starts having these problems too). The audio and video both start skipping constantly, and all the audio is very high pitched and fast, like the room we shot in was filled with helium or something. In other words, the video looks and sounds like it's playing in fast forward for some reason, and I can't get it back down to normal speed. (I'm beginning to think that it's skipping because the video is trying to let the timestamp catch up to where it should be relative to what's playing.) Oh, and here's the best part: the files themselves are fine. When I go into the project folder and view the files directly through a media player, they play normally. So this only happens when I try to look through them in OnLocation. The video was recorded in AVI Type 2, and was recorded direct-to-disk from OnLocation, if that helps. This was my first time using OnLocation, so maybe I did something wrong? Please, I've looked everywhere for a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

My first guess is that the camera is set to 12bit audio. OnLocation handles that correctly sometimes, but it other times it basically assumes 16bit audio, which produces a Chipmunks effect. To the best of my recollection, however, when the player is in that funky state, only the audio is affected; there's no stutter or fast play of the video. So you may be running into a different problem entirely, but let's start by ruling out the 12bit explanation. To check this, you can either find the setting on the camera or check the metadata in OL--just type "Audio Sample Type" in the Metadata panel's search box.

• 2. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward

I checked the metadata, the Audio Sample Type reads "Other". Not sure what that means, but when I hover, the tool tip says "Example: 32Float".

• 3. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward
              Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

"Other" is curious. I've never seen anything other than "16 bit" or "12 bit" in that field. I don't know exactly what to make of it, but it sure seems like a key piece of evidence. Please check the setting on the camera. Look for something like "Audio Mode."

• 4. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward

That is unfortunate, since the camera in question was borrowed, and I don't have access to it (at least not until the next time we shoot, which isn't for a few days). I shot him off an e-mail to check through his camera, still waiting on a response.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Seriously, I was not expecting a response this fast, so you're awesome!

• 5. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward
                  Stan Jones MVP

These forums are incredible!

• 6. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward
                    John T Smith MVP

>camera in question was borrowed

I guess that means the reverse of the old saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" (which is to judge age by teeth) so when using a borrowed camera, all settings need to be checked before filming starts... you just never know what settings were last used

• 7. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward

Alright! We finally got around to start filming (last week was kind of a bust, so nothing got done), and finally I got a look at the camera we'd been using. Sure enough, it was set to 12 bit audio. I changed it over to 16 bit, and the clips we shot today do not have a single problem. Still not sure why the metadata read "Other" for the first two clips, but everything works now so I'm not too worried. THANK YOU MARK MAPES, YOU AWESOME PERSON YOU!!!!!!

• 8. Re: Video playback stuck in fast-forward
                        laplinp Community Member

Hi, I am having the same problem, I looked at my metadata and it says it is 12bit audio. However, this footage I am editing is not my own, and was from a one day seminar so cannot be re-recorded, is there any other way I could possibly fix this? Changing the audio duration helped with the high pitched bit, it's just the skipping and repeating I need to sort now, and I rather not go through the wave form and try and edit it all out >.<

Thank you!