8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 2:12 PM by Studio North Films

Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?

Pyramid Pyro Level 1

Looking to build a new CS5 editing machine within the next 2 weeks.  It seems the Asus P6 boards are a popular selection to couple with an i7 930.  I've noticed there are a few different versions all within about the same price range give or take a few bucks.

Is there anything detrimental to getting the one of the less expensive Asus P6 boards, or do the more expensive versions just come with features that are optional for video editors?  Is the WS Pro the minimum starting point?

Examples:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Descripti on=asus+p6&x=0&y=0

Looking to run this with...

-  i7 930

-  12 GB of DDR3 1600

-  1k power supply

-  CM Haf X box and a cooler

-  1 velociraptor for C:

-  4 non-raided F3s (still debating to raid or not) for project/source, cache, export, backup/archive

-  GTX470

-  Windows 7 64Pro

-  Asus BluRay burner and an Asus DVD-R/RW

-  maybe a multi-card reader

Erik

• 1. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built, which is pretty much what you need (except I only use 3 drives)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
            Pyramid Pyro Level 1

John; oh ya!  Trust me, I've been eyeing your specs for a while   Especially the fact that you state you do OK with AVCHD (I'll be doing HDV and maybe some AVCHD down the road).  Appears your motherboard is indeed a P6 and cost-wise on the lower end so I'm thinking I should be OK doing likewise.  Thanks (for everything you contribute).

I will proabably post a full system spec in a few days once I have all the specifics worked out for approval from the elder tribesmen.

Erik

• 3. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?

The GTX 285 I bought is no longer available, so the 460 or 470 model would be the cards of choice today (with hack until they are officially supported)

My mid-tower case has PLENTY of cooling, but is a bit crowded for cabling... so consider a full tower case

Even though I do not overclock (personal choice) I did buy a different CPU cooler with dual fans to keep the i7 cooler than stock

Since I don't do RAID I didn't really care about my MB's capabilities in that area... I was just looking for a good MB that would run everything I needed, which the P6 SE does just fine

If you are going to do "heavy duty" AVCHD editing, with a lot of layers and effects, you may need to consider RAID and/or a faster CPU... I only have family stuff to inflict on share with others, so fairly simple editing

Do be sure to buy a product to make a full system backup... I use http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

• 4. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Just as a heads up from the oem view. The key when buying Asus is finding a product that is not end of life or close to a revision change. The failure rate seems to skyrocket when boards are close to that. We have learned that the hard way over years. Just a word of wisdom. Their features and warranty are great though and their support is normally pretty good.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?

Good advice for any product (plus, I would think, be somewhat wary of the first shipments of a new product) but the problem is... how is one to know when a product is about to be changed or dropped?

I guess this would be similar to the "common knowledge" that you don't want to buy some products if you can tell they were built on Monday or Friday, when workers are hung over from the weekend or looking forward to the weekend

I do know that my chosen brand of hard drives (Western Digital) had a bad run of 250Gig drives several years ago... I had 2 new drives and 1 replacement all fail in less than 90 days... so switched to a different size (this was back when 250G was a "large" drive) and never had any more problems

I am guessing my WD problem was like the past problems Dell had with motherboard failures due to a bad component from one of their suppliers... once the bad component was no longer used, the frequent problems dropped to normal levels

Anyway... as far as the OP's question... a decision like this should be based on the desired feature set

Number of ram slots... number of Sata connections... onboard sound chip brand/model... Raid options if raid is needed... legacy connections (the Asus I picked has an IDE connection, which I used for a spare (new) DVD drive I had in my parts box) and whatever else is needed

• 6. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

There are a couple signs you can look for to help find recent released boards. The most telling is when new features are introduced onboard such as USB3 and Sata 600 controllers now. Almost any board you see with these controllers onboard is the latest revision currently. The second way to confirm that is bios revisions. One great feature about ASUS is they are constantly updating their bios. Some might say that is bad because that means allot of bugs. That is often not the case currently. It more often has to do with Memory IC changes that force compatibility updates by board manufacturers and resource chart changes likely spurred on by reports of 3rd party hardware issues that were diagnosed by support. Another way is to look for reviews. Reviews often take place right before a board releases normally with in 4 weeks or so. If you check a review from say Anandtech and the date is recent or within 6 months then likely that board is still in major production. Those are just some of the easiest ways to find out if the board you are looking at is the latest version or close to end of life. Keep in mind the current life cycle of motherboards is shorter than it's ever been. You are lucky to see a certain model board in production longer than a year and 2 is rare anymore.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
                      California Kevin Level 1

How does this Asus stack up against the WP Pro at $280?  What is it lacking?

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CrossFireX, ASUS TurboV Key O.C. Tool, DDR3 2000  $195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Which Flavor Of Asus P6 Motherboard?
                        Studio North Films Level 3

Hi, for similar money you can get a newer model ASUS mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

Baz