15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 12:18 PM by ssprengel

Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D

goostardmd

I recently purchased and installed Photoshop Elements 8 on my Windows XP laptop. I have a Canon 20D that I've used for many years but wanted to experiment with RAW photography and read where Elements 8 was capable of reading and importing RAW files.

I took a few RAW shots on my camera (using a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB Compact Flash card) and hooked it up to my laptop as usual using a USB cable (since my HP laptop doesn't have a slot for CF cards). When the "device connected" window pops up, I choose "Elements Organizer" but it will NOT read the RAW files. I even took a few JPEG shots on the same card and Elements reads them fine.

I called Tech Support (a very nice man) and we downloaded and installed Camera Raw Plug-in 6.1.0.250 to no avail. He asked that I try a card reader or alternate method of connecting to the computer but I was unable to at the time.

I seem to remember in the past that windows would at least acknowledge a RAW file's existence in the camera but be unable to read it. My computer isn't even detecting it now. Could this be a Windows issue instead of a Elements issue?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

• 1. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
          RASouthworth Level 3

The Communications setting should be Normal, not PTP (pg. 116 in the manual).  If Normal the camera when attached to a USB port will appear as a disk drive on your PC and you will be able to download all images to your system.  In effect you are using the camera as a card reader.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
            goostardmd Level 1

Thanks, Richard, for the quick reply but I have a stupid question: the communication setting on WHAT needs to be normal? And, what manual?

lol

thanks again!

Bruce

• 3. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
              RASouthworth Level 3

Your camera, the 20D, in the Setup section of the menu.  I downloaded its manual.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                goostardmd Level 1

LOL! I never thought of looking there!

But, I checked the camera this morning and the Communication setting was already on "Normal".

Still no luck.

Thanks again,

Bruce

• 5. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                  RASouthworth Level 3

Just checking, when the "device connected" message pops up choose "Open folder to view files", you should then see every file on the cf, and can transfer them to your system.

Richard Southworth

• 6. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

I had a 20D a while back and I remember a Windows driver bug that caused the 20D to look as though it only had JPEG files on it even when you shot .CR2 files.  This is purely from memory, and it might have been my 10D that I'm thinking of.  Sorry for the confusion; I no longer have the 20D and can't test for you.

I vaguely remember switching the communications mode to PTP to correct this, but that precluded using software (like Elements) to see the files on the card.  What it DID allow was for me to copy the files to the computer when the cable was plugged-in, which was almost as good.  Then I could just work on the files from the disk.  I configured my system to just suck all the files off the camera whenever it was plugged in.

Hope this helps.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                      RASouthworth Level 3

I'm also working from memory, PTP I believe is just for printing, and Normal is required for file transfer to a PC.  Obviously the OP should try both to find whichever allows raw files to be transferred.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                        goostardmd Level 1

Yeah, changing to PTP does nothing.

When the "device connected" window comes up, I don't have an option to "open folder to view files". I tried selecting "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" and Picasa 3 to import the pictures but all either program sees is the one JPEG that I took. Neither program sees the RAW files.

Now I'm thinking more of a Windows bug or file problem?

Thanks for your help!

Bruce

• 9. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                          RASouthworth Level 3

Just cancel the device connected window, open up windows explorer, and see if the camera is present as a disk drive.

Richard Southworth

• 10. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Instead of relying on whatever the auto-insert dialog allows you to do, what happens if, when that pops up, you open My Computer or Windows Explorer or whatever you want to call it?

If the camera is listed with a drive-letter then that is the right mode. 

If the camera is only listed as a named device that is probably not going to work--I think this is what happens with PTP mode.

Once the camera is listed in My Computer with a drive-letter, it is acting as a card reader, and you can use Windows Explorer to copy the files to wherever you want them to go on your hard-drive.

• 11. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                              RASouthworth Level 3

Much better stated than my post, leaves nothing to the imagination.

Bruce, also make sure you have all file extensions visible and no hidden files other than protected system files.  You can set these configurations in Folder Options, accessible either from the control panel or view menu in Windows Explorer.

Richard Southworth

• 12. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                                goostardmd Level 1

The same thing happens -- it finds only the JPEG shot. The camera is NOT listed with a drive-letter, only the device name.
                                I checked the hidden files option and it was set on "show hidden files and folders".
                                One thing -- I had to reformat my hard-drive several months ago and  somehow did not get my Canon software re-installed that I used to use to  get photos transferred. I can't remember the name of the program but it  was a Canon program. EOS Viewer, maybe?
                                I'm wondering if there's something out of whack on my laptop that  prevents it from seeing the files? I don't know if there's a specific  driver or file that would need to be present especially if it's not  recognizing the camera with a drive-letter?

Bruce

• 13. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                                  RASouthworth Level 3

I attached my Canon S90 and it appears under My Computer as a device name, but shows raw files (.cr2) when I drill down to the appropriate directory.  I'm running Windows 7 which has a different interface, but you should get similar results.  Again, try with both PTP and Normal under the Communication menu setting.

I suggest you shoot some raw shots only, see if they appear.  And again make sure XP is configured to show all file extensions and to show hidden files as well.

Richard Southworth

• 14. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                                    goostardmd Level 1

Ok, I had a moment of clarity. One.

I remembered that I had an external hard drive that I haven't used in awhile so I hooked it up and found the old EOS Viewer Utility that I had been missing. I placed it on my desktop and was able to see and download the RAW files to my computer! I opened Elements and was able to load and edit them!

Now, even though that part is settled, I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't work the "normal" ways that you guys were suggesting. I'm worried that there's something wrong that such a simple task was not possible on this machine. Should I just quit worrying and be grateful it would work at all or...?

Thanks again!

Bruce

• 15. Re: Can't detect RAW files on Canon20D
                                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

XP may need the WIA driver installed to see the camera.   If you didn't install this as part of getting the EOS Viewer working, then go to the Consumer/Business -> Support & Drivers area on http://www.usa.canon.com/

You might also install the latest version of the EOS Viewer in case that also updates something.

Of course you can avoid all of this by using a card-reader, which would be faster if the 20D is only USB 1.1 speed.