8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 8:46 AM by the_wine_snob

CS5 Playback issues

jamesbtaylor3

This question may have already been asked and answered. If so, just post a link to it.

I'm having an issue with Premiere CS5 playback. I don't have the best system in the world, but I don't think it's my system.

i7 920

9GB of DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

What is happening is that my footage (that is on my internal drive) will simply play anywhere from 5-20 frames of the footage then stop. Hit spacebar again, another couple frames then stop. None of the other programs in my newly acquired Master Suite have this issue, and Premiere Elements 8 and CS3 worked fine. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS5 Playback issues
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You really absolutely need more than one disk drive and get rid of the ATI board and put in a nVidia CUDA board.

• 2. Re: CS5 Playback issues
            jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

True, both of those would really help. The ATI is actually my next upgrade, but that isn't the issue. My specs meet or exceed the minimum, so I doubt having only one disc drive or the video card would cause playback issues when other versions work very well. Is there anything else that you may know of that could cause the playback just stopping?

• 3. Re: CS5 Playback issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              My specs meet or exceed the minimum, so I doubt having only one disc drive or the video card would cause playback issues...

As has been discussed in this forum, the "minimum specs." are for the installation and launch of the program, and do not take into consideration that a user might actually wish to edit with the program. Many have expressed the opinions that Adobe needs to bump these up to real world values.

Now, playback is highly I/O dependent. Having only 1 physical HDD is more of a bottleneck, than you imagine. One needs an absolute minimum of 2x, and will not get good throughput, until they go to a 3x setup. Do not dismiss the problems with playback and a single HDD.

Add one SATA HDD, and life gets easier. Add two SATA HDD's, and life gets good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS5 Playback issues
                jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

Okay. If this truly is the case, what would be the benefit of having the two. Simply putting the video stuff and software on the one drive only and then having my OS and storage on the other?

• 5. Re: CS5 Playback issues
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

No, the absolute minimum system requirement from Adobe Pemiere for the last several versions is a dedicated second full speed 7200 RPM drive for your project files.  Leave you OS and applications on the C: drive.

If you want to see some successful configurations look at PPBM5 results page.

• 6. Re: CS5 Playback issues
                    jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

So would that mean just having my source footage and saves going to the dedicated drive and leave the software on the other?         

• 7. Re: CS5 Playback issues
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                      - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

- Never, Ever use partitions for video editing!!!

And even more hardware discussion http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

• 8. Re: CS5 Playback issues
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct.

The minimum would be:

C:\ OS, programs and probably Page File* (Windows Virtual Memory)

D:\ media and Projects + Scratch Disks

Better would be:

C:\ OS, programs and probably Page File (Windows Virtual Memory)

D:\ Projects + Scratch Disks

E:\ Media

The idea is to spread the I/O workload over as many physical HDD's, as one can. Things can also improve if one adds more HDD's, and say directs Exports to another.

* Depending on your I/O sub-system, one might get performance gains by moving the Page File to another HDD, but it takes time to benchmark, and the gains might not outweigh that work. With 64-bit OS's, the Page File is taking backseat to much more usable physical RAM.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - please note: I am talking PHYSICAL HDD's here and not partitions