5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 2:17 PM by Mystorybook RSS

Component parameters not showing

dbxpva Community Member

Hi - I have a series of components I've written in AS3 that work fine in CS3 & CS4. In the Flash CS5 authoring environment, the parameters are not visible in the Component Parameters section of the Property Inspector. The really strange thing is that if I create a .fla in CS4 with the same components on the stage, and then open that doc in Flash CS5, the parameters are visible and work.

Any ideas for how to fix this? What changed in CS5 to make them not work?

Notes:

• I've rebuilt the .swc files in CS5 - doesn't fix it
      • I created an .mxp file for the components and installed with Adobe Extension Manager CS5 - doesn't fix it
      • The standard components that come with CS5 work fine
      • My components work fine other than not being able to access the parameters

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

.phil

• 1. Re: Component parameters not showing
          holusa_petr Community Member

I have the same problem. I install flash cs5 extension succesfully but i dont see in Components panel.

• 2. Re: Component parameters not showing
            mattcheo Community Member

I have noticed a similar problem. A CS4 component's parameter structure changes when opened in CS5. It's very frustrating and makes any previous work useless.

• 3. Re: Component parameters not showing
              dbxpva Community Member

I think there are several problems going on in the change from CS4 to CS5 with regard to components. But I did find a fix to the problem I had, which is that in components that I built myself, inspectable parameters that worked fine in CS4 did not show up in CS5 (note that parameters moved their location in CS5 - in CS4 they were visible in the Component Inspector panel, in CS5 they accessible in the Properties panel).My components still worked, and were visible in the Components panel, just no parameters.

Here's the solution. When coding a component, you define your inspectable parameters in some code like this:

private var _controller:String = "arduino";

[Inspectable (name = "controller", variable = "controller", type = "String", enumeration="arduino,make,xbee,osculator,inputSource", defaultValue="arduino")]

Elsewhere in the code, you define your getter and setter functions:

public function get controller():String { return _controller; }

public function set controller(value:String):void {

_controller = value;

draw();

}

Based on the examples I had seen when I first started creating components, I put the definition right at the beginning of my class definition, and my getters/setters at the end. Well, in CS5, this approach does not work. To make inspectable parameters work, the definition and getter/setters functions must be together in the code! I put mine right at the end of the class. Like this:

private var _controller:String = "arduino";

[Inspectable (name = "controller", variable = "controller", type = "String", enumeration="arduino,make,xbee,osculator,inputSource", defaultValue="arduino")]

public function get controller():String { return _controller; }

public function set controller(value:String):void {

_controller = value;

draw();

}

Here's where I found the solution: http://f9foractions.tumblr.com/post/903211215/inspectable-parameters-not-showing-up-on-cus tom

Hope this helps!

If you are curious about my components, they are a free system to enable people to work with sensors etc. with the Arduino and other hardware in Flash with no coding required.

http://www.netlabtoolkit.org/

.phil

• 4. Re: Component parameters not showing
                mattcheo Community Member

I tried a simple solution of reverting the file back to CS4 but it inherited the same problem

• 5. Re: Component parameters not showing
                  Mystorybook Community Member

I am new to FLASH and just recently purchased FL CS5. and also purchased page-flip flash component. I followed the installation instruction and used CS5 extension manager to install the extension. In Extension Manager, it showed that the component is installed. However, it does NOT show up in the Component Window like the instruction stated.  From the extension support website, the extension works with CS3, CS4. But it didn't say if it works with CS5. Any one know how to find the installed component or how to fix this?