4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2010 1:08 PM by Michael Riordan RSS

Concave Oval shape in Illustrator

duplexd

concave_oval.jpg

Hi all, Is there anyone can guide me how to create this in illustrator? thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Concave Oval shape in Illustrator
          Michael Riordan Community Member

It's a 3D shape with a pattern mapped onto its surfaces and then an opacity mask has been applied to soften the inside edge.

I'd start out with the pattern. Draw one of the little square shapes and drag it into the swatches panel to make it a pattern. Then I'd draw a new rectangle (as tall and as wide as the final oval shape) and fill it with that pattern. I'D then drag that into the symbols panel to make it a symbol. This will be used to put the pattern onto the front face of the form. Once it's a symbol, The shape on the artboard can be deleted.

I'd make another rectangle about half the height of the first one but 4x longer and drag that into the symbols panel. This will be used to put the pattern on the inside face of the ring. Once it's a symbol, The shape on the artboard can be deleted.

Next draw an oval. Use offset path (under the object menu) to make a second oval about 1/2 inch smaller than the 1st. Make a compound path so this shape becomes a ring.

Select the ring and go to Effects>3D>Extrude and Bevel. Create a 3d shape using the front view preset. Add enough perspective to be able to see into the shapes interior. Map the symbols created earlier onto the front face and the inside.

Leave the 3D editor and set up a black white gradient that fits over the shape and use that gradient to create an opacity mask (transparency panel) so the inside ring can have that faded soft edge look.

Lots of steps, but do-able.

Cheers,

Michael

Here's mine. Didn't attend to the color match and now I see my original square for the pattern should have had a very light white stroke and the 3D shape needs much less perspective on the inside but it does what you want.

Screen shot 2010-08-02 at 10.31.00 PM.png

• 2. Re: Concave Oval shape in Illustrator
            duplexd Community Member

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your prompt response. Your answer is pretty close enough, and I will probably go with it. however the "concave" effect from the origianl is different than the one you created. When you look very closely to the inner circle's edge, you will see the "diamond" pattern is also distorted. Wondering how the original artwork is done, maybe it is created from other software rather than Illustrator. etc. photoshop.

If someone could advise for exact way to re-creating it, will really appreciate it.

Thanks Michael again.

• 3. Re: Concave Oval shape in Illustrator
              duplexd Community Member

Hi Michael,

Untitled-1.jpg

I finally have this done in the closest way by combination of Illustrator and Photoshop.

In Illustrator,

1. Draw the square with 4 different shades of triangle
              2. Drag the square to the swatch palette to created the pattern, and
              3. Draw the ring filled with the pattern, and then
              4. Drag it to Photoshop.

In Photoshop,

1. Rasterize the Vector Smart Object Layer.
              2. Selected the inner circle and save the selection for later use.
              3. Expand the selection by chosing Select>Modify>Expand, and I have modified the selection until its selected 1/3 of the ring. Save the selection too in case to be used in the future.
              4. Apply Pinch filter by Filter>Distort>Pinch, in the Pinch menu, slide the amount to -100%. Repeated the filter effect (ctrl+F) until getting the result you want. I have apply about 5-6 times to get this result.
              5. To make the white gradient glow effect, pick the inner circle selection again (created from Step 2), Select>Modify>Feather (Alt+Ctrl+D). Then fill the selection with white color.

That is. I know this post might have to move to Photoshop Discussion Forum. Anyway, thanks Michael. Hope this can help other people.

• 4. Re: Concave Oval shape in Illustrator
                Michael Riordan Community Member

Looks good!

Glad I could help.