5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 12:23 PM by DBoisvert-Frenchguy ;p

Alpha trouble !!

DBoisvert-Frenchguy ;p

(My english is bad) I'm creating a flash game and each Ko count. So I made a PNG sequence, on photoshop I try to safe a lot with the compretion so I passed RGB 16 bit to 8bit*index color to 16, i saved in PNG with alpha. My frames have the alpha when I check them individually, but when I render an FLV on After Effect, set to RGB+Alpha, I lost my alpha, when I try with the original PNG sequence it's work ! Any Idea ??

• 1. Re: Alpha trouble !!
          DBoisvert-Frenchguy ;p Level 1

Oohh and I never have access to the depht option in output module setting, I really don't need that much color and they lock it to million colors +, I think that if I have acces to that my Batch Action on photoshop will not be necessary.

• 2. Re: Alpha trouble !!
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Indexed transparency is not Alpha! The behavior therefore is correct. I'm not even sure why you even go through the trouble of converting the PNGs just to produce an FLV? I think it's simply a problem of you intermingling unrealted workflows. Keep your game files and any artwork you may use for an intro separate and use suitable files.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Alpha trouble !!

Just to be sure that After Effect doesnt convert color that I not nessecary want in my picture, it's a cartoon style game, but it was a test, has i check it's does'nt affect that much, newbies try funny test sometimes, I'm not on the project right now, I just try things to see if I can gain some Ko. loll alpha ... transparency, and I knew it, I don't have any channel alpha in my frames. But that bring me to another question : what the transparency in PNG ?? There are value in RGB channel that bring transparency ? Sorry newbs !!

• 4. Re: Alpha trouble !!
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It works the same as in GIF - a color is being tagged as being non-rendering, but whether it is actually made transparent is dependent on the program rendering/ displaying the image and its ability to interpret the tag and blend the transparency with the program's display canvas. As for color issues - as long as you work in normal sRGB without any color profiles, you should not see any differences. Of course you may still want to create indexed files just to control the dithering and where which color appears, but after that you should be able to convert them back to 24bit PNGs without any issues, if you need to use it in AE.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Alpha trouble !!

Thx for your time and your clear and instructive answer !! It's becauses of guy like you that guys like me ask less stupid questions ! Just joking !