1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 6:14 AM by jeffcg2

MSSQL image file to <mx:Image>

jeffcg2 Level 1

I have been using this cfc function to pull the binary image field from the db then write it as a .jpg file. Then use the <mx:Image> to display the .jpg file.

I'm wondering if there is a shortcut to just read the MSSQL image field directly into the <mx:Image> tag

<cffunction

name="getItem" access="remote" output="false" returntype="query">

<cfargument name="id" default="" type="numeric" required="true" />

<cfset var qry = "" />

<cfquery name="qry" datasource="mydb">

select barcode,

picture1, picture2

from tipmont

where id = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" value="#arguments.id#">

</cfquery>

<cfif #isbinary(qry.picture1)#>

<cfimage source="#qry.picture1#" destination="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\photos\#qry.barcode#_1.jpg" action="write" overwrite="yes">

</cfif>

<cfif #isbinary(qry.picture2)#>

<cfimage source="#qry.picture2#" destination="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\photos\#qry.barcode#_2.jpg" action="write" overwrite="yes">

</cfif>

<cfreturn qry>

</cffunction>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------

<mx:Image

id="imgPicture1" source="../photos/{customDatatype.barcode}_1.jpg" width="100%" height="100%" scaleContent="true" autoLoad="true"/>

• 1. Re: MSSQL image file to <mx:Image>
          jeffcg2 Level 1

I found that configuring the return type to picture:ByteArray it is a simply <mx:Image source="{item.picture}"/> to display the MSSQL image field.

But now I have a new question. What is different between the Coldfusion <cfimage> tag and the <mx:Image> tag?

I have been using been using one handheld to collect field data including images that have a very low resolution and get stored as binary fields in MSSQL. The .jpg file created with the <cfimage> tag is only about 10k.

Recently I updated to a handheld that is capable of taking images that <cfimage> will create a .jpg of 1 meg. I'm keeping these camera resolution down to where the final .jpg is about 50k.

The only difference in the process is the resolution of the image.

But the <cfimage> tag will create a .jpg from the low resolution binary and the <mx:Image> tag will not..