16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 1:41 PM by riograndeltarch

Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime

riograndeltarch

I am having trouble with saving my elements video to be viewed in Quicktime. I can save it fine, but when it iopens in
      Quicktime the video is out of sync a little with the audio.

I am taking video classes and it is required to be able to open them in Quicktime. I almost tend to think it is a compression issue of some sort,

but from what I understand they should be compatible.

Any ideas...........anyone???

Jennie

• 1. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jennie,

Welcome to the forum.

Please tell us about your Project Preset, your source footage (the Video Clips) and also your MOV Export/Share settings used.

Good luck with the classes, and we should be able to come up with a method to keep sync.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
            riograndeltarch Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you! My gosh,I never expected such a fast reply.

I will send you that information first thing in the morning before I go to the Office.

Thank you again,

Jennie

• 3. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
              riograndeltarch Level 1

Hunt,

My footage comes from the school for three clips, stock footage, which is AIO, the Art Institute of Pittsburgh online where I am getting a
              Bachelors in Web Design. My other two clips are footage that was sent to me from a classmate. The whole video for this assignment id only
              90 seconds.

On Elements, from Share to Personal Computer to save my settings are 320x240, fps is 29.97.Basic video settings are at Sorenson Spark,

with an option for 0n2VP6.

Settings when I scroll down to save in Quictime are H.264 foe Video Codec....fps is 15....Quality is 50.

Preset for export is128KDual ISDN.

Please let me know if i am miising anything here.I don't have a problem if you want to see this short clip sent to you.

It is of waterfalls.

Thank you much for your help and expertise on this.

Jennie

• 4. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Jennie, what are you saving the clips to MOVs for? What kind of device do you ultimately plan to play them on? That will help determine which settings you use to export it at.

• 5. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime

Though of course the other issue is that the video you're using as your source video is pretty non-standard. That may be why you're not getting any audio.

You may need to convert those files to something more standard before you bring them into Premiere Elements in order to have any success working with them.

• 6. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                    riograndeltarch Level 1

This is for a simple school project. She wants them saved to  Quicktime so

everyone in class will be able to view it. Saving it to .mov in  Quicktime

to have open properly, is the end of the journey.

Thank you....Jennie

In a message dated 8/4/2010 7:38:49 AM Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Jennie,  what are you saving the clips to MOVs for? What kind of device do

you  ultimately plan to play them on? That will help determine which

settings you  use to export it  at.

• 7. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                      riograndeltarch Level 1

What would you suggest more standard for files?

Also, these clips of  waterfalls....any way of slowing the motion down,

without affecting the time  frame.

I would like to slow down the motion of the waterfalls in the slides if 

possible.

Thank you

Jennie

In a message dated 8/4/2010 7:39:57 AM Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Though  of course the other issue is that the video you're using as your

source video  is pretty non-standard. That may be why you're not getting any 

audio.

You may need to convert those files to something more  standard before you

bring them into Premiere Elements in order to have any  success working with

them.

• 8. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jennie,

Going back to the source footage, do you know the details of those files?

If necessary, you can use the great, free utility, G-SPOT to gather all of the details. G-Spot will give you details about both the Video and the Audio in those files. As you really have two sources, I'd run each type (the stock) and the other student's files through G-Spot and post a screen-cap of the program's screen, so that we can see those details. There might well be something there, that will point to the issue.

Also, when you start a Project, you are prompted to define a New Project. What are the specs. of that Project? The settings in the Project should match the specs. of the source footage 100%, or one will have issues.

Now, back in that Project, in PrE, when you play the Timeline, I assume that you have the full Audio, which is in sync. Is that correct?

I notice that the FPS = 15. Going back to the source footage, does that match the FPS of that source footage? Above, I suggest how to find out those details. If this does not match the FPS of the source footage, is there a compelling reason to alter this?

I understand outputting (Export/Share) to a different Frame Size (so long as it is the same Aspect Ratio), and that should not be part of the issue.

Last, some users (PrE and PrPro) have had issues with Apple's H.264 CODEC. That is probably the most common one, as it is installed with Apple's QT Player. As a bit of background, the CODEC is the device for both encoding and decoding AV files. For more background, this ARTICLE might be useful. There are a couple more, very popular H.264 CODEC's, that seem to give fewer problems, Lead and MainConcept.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime

Hope you don't mind my sticking my nose in here, but can I suggest short-cutting this whole process?

If all Jennie wants is to be able to convert her video into MOVs, it might make more sense to suggest that she just pick up a copy of Quicktime Pro for $29 from Apple.com.

Quicktime Pro can easily work with any one of those files, and it will easily and quickly convert them into any MOV format you want.

Running those files through Premiere Elements just to convert them from one Quicktime format to another is a little like driving from Cleveland to Akron by way of New Orleans. Particularly when working with video, simple, direct solutions are by far the best! (This will also resolve her trying to figure out why Premiere Elements isn't able to assimilate the source video's audio track.)

• 10. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I never mind a pair of expert eyes being involved in a problem!

You make a good point. If all that is needed is the basic assembly of three Clips, then QT Pro should do a fine job of that, with no need to go beyond that program.

The process of assembly with QT Pro is simple - just Open Clip A, run the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the end of that Clip, drag Clip B into the screen, and then drag Clip C into the Screen. When done, one can Export the combined footage, or if it's all in MOV format and of the same specs., just do a Save.

Thanks, as always, for the comments. The goal is to get Jennie's output to play correctly.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                              riograndeltarch Level 1

Thank you for the input. I do have QuickTime Pro and my clips, which are 

six at 15 sec a piece.

My audio is what seems to mess up a bit, especially at the end. Let me give

all this another shot and see what happens.

If I still have priblems..........I'll be back.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Jennie

• 12. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                                riograndeltarch Level 1

Thank you for the input. I do have QuickTime Pro and my clips, which are 

six at 15 sec a piece.

My audio is what seems to mess up a bit, especially at the end. Let me give

all this another shot and see what happens.

If I still have problems..........I'll be back.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Jennie

In a message dated 8/4/2010 9:10:04 AM Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Hope you  don't mind my sticking my nose in here, but can I suggest

short-cutting this  whole process?

If all Jennie wants is to be able to convert her  video into MOVs, it might

make more sense to suggest that she just pick up a  copy of Quicktime Pro

for $29 from Apple.com.

Quicktime Pro can  easily work with any one of those files, and it will

easily and quickly  convert them into any MOV format you want.

Running those files  through Premiere Elements just to convert them from

one Quicktime format to  another is a little like driving from Cleveland to

Akron by way of New  Orleans. Particularly when working with video, simple,

direct solutions are by  far the best!

• 13. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have QT Pro, and only need to assemble the three Clips into a single H.264 file, then I would use that, and omit PrE from the mix, as Steve suggests. Things will be very simple then. Also, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) on QT Pro, you can even do simple Trims, with your Clips. For this type of work, QT Pro is a handy tool.

I use it for simple MP4, or MOV assembly, and for converting from those formats to something that I can use in my full-featured NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                                    riograndeltarch Level 1

Thank you; and I'll keep that in mind on furture use.

This class involves, text, transtions and effects of which a dideo editing 

program is almost an essential.

It does seem some oin class have better luck with Elements Premier  Pro. I

don't want to get a new program with only two weeks left to this  class.

Would you know why the Premier Pro would would better and if there is  an

upgrade from the Elements 8??

Jennie

In a message dated 8/4/2010 9:39:27 AM Central Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

If you  have QT Pro, and only need to assemble the three Clips into a

single H.264  file, then I would use that, and omit PrE from the mix, as Steve

suggests.  Things will be very simple then. Also, with the CTI (Current Time

Indicator)  on QT Pro, you can even do simple Trims, with your Clips. For

this type of  work, QT Pro is a handy tool.

I use it for simple MP4, or MOV  assembly, and for converting from those

formats to something that I can use in  my full-featured NLE (Non Linear

Editor) programs.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime

The problem is your source video. You've got some pretty outrageous formats going there!

If you want to edit them with Premiere Elements, you likely can -- if you convert them to DV-AVIs first.

Quicktime Pro should be able to convert each of those videos to DV-AVIs. Then, if you set Premiere Elements up for DV video, they should work perfectly.

You can then use Share/Personal Computer/MOV to output your video as a 640x480 video.

• 16. Re: Trouble Opening Elements Video in Quicktime
                                        riograndeltarch Level 1

Thank you very much. I will try that and see what happens!!

Jennie