9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2010 9:09 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.

Davil99

Hello,

I know this has been covered a few times already, but none of the previous threads about it were able to help my situation.

Ok so here is what i did:

Exported a JPEG from a timeline in FCP. Brought that JPEG into PS (i am using CS3), and changed the image size from 1920x1080 to 720x480. Then saved as a JPEG, didn't tick any boxes, just used default save as settings.

I then brought those images into my Encore DVD Project, added them to the library, then placed one into a already made menu, and "sent to back".. so it became the new background. I did this with two menu's today. Note i have actually done this same exact process many times without problem. I then tried to build a dvd image of the project, and i got the "this file does not appear to be a photoshop file". Now it won't even let me open those menu's (plus another one, which i made a long time ago, and have even successfully built DVD's with), to edit them. I tried removing all the new JPEGS i added today, from the library, but still i get the same message.

The menu's that i now can't open, took a very long time to make, and i need to have this DVD completed ASAP.. as it is being released world wide in a couple of weeks and i need to get it replicated. So i don't actually have time to remake these menu's. So if anyone can help me, that would be much appreciated, as i have studio exec's cracking down on me.

Thanks in advance :-)

• 1. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
          Davil99 Community Member

Also, i have tried "edit in photoshop" and "save menu as file/template" features, to see if there was a way around this using those options, and none of them will work - each of them just give me the same error message. 

• 2. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
            Davil99 Community Member

Another thing, if i try and open the flowchart, i get an endless amount of the "this file does not appear to be a photoshop file" error messages pop up - and it forces me to force quit the application.

This is really ridiculous.

• 3. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
              Alan Craven Community Member

It will not appear to be a Photoshop file, it is a jpeg file. Save it as a .psd file using the preset for NTSC.

• 4. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
                the_wine_snob Community Member

I agree with Alan. A Menu MUST be a PSD file. Now, within that PSD, one can have Layers that started as JPEG, but you will need to do a Save_As, checking that you are choosing PSD. That should Import just fine into Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
                  Davil99 Community Member

Ok thanks. Although i have used JPEGS quite a few times and never had this problem.

Plus the error message is stupid, i haven't read anywhere that menu's can only be photoshop files.. and surely i should still be able to go in and edit the menu, allowing me to delete the jpeg out of the menu, instead of having to delete the whole menu and start again...

Bad form by adobe IMO.

:-)

• 7. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
                    Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I'm not sure I entirely understand your workflow, but, other than the error, I would assume the menu at issue IS a psd.  OP says he brought the jpg in as an asset, and brought it into a template.

In any event, I think something went corrupt in your menu/project.  I did not see whether you tried this again in a brand new project with a new jpg.

I think it is better workflow to add the jpgs in PS, but that is just because I like that.  EN supports the workflow you describe.

The error itself suggests you did something different this time.

• 8. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.
                      Although i have used JPEGS quite a few times and never had this problem.

Well, JPEG's can be used as parts of a Menu, basically graphics Layers, but as JPEG's do not support Layers, they cannot be used AS a Menu. The Menu MUST include Layers, and some specialized Layers.

A TIFF can include Layers, but Encore is looking for a PSD (the native Photoshop format), as that is how it is designed. Some other authoring programs, like Sony's DVD Architect, use different file formats to produce the Menus.

Where one can use a JPEG is as a Background in a Menu, i.e. if one were to take the Generic Blank Menu (already a PSD), they could insert a JPEG to be the Background on that PSD. It might at first appear that one has used a JPEG to be a Menu, but it just becomes a Layer in the structure of the PSD file.

As a learning exercise, Open one of the Library Menus in Photoshop.Twirl open all Layers and Layer Sets and look around. There, you will see the necessary structure, including some required naming conventions. Study this structure carefully, as it is very important. Now, do a Save_As, making sure to choose JPEG, and make sure that the file name reflects that JPEG file extension, so as to NOT overwrite the Library Menu. Study the resultant JPEG and you will see that it now consists of only a Background Layer. Obviously, if En needs that Layer structure, it no longer exists. To be a Menu, it must exist.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: This file does not appear to be a photoshop file error.

Now, if one Imports the JPEG with its extension changed to PSD as a Menu, then the Menu is created, including the necessary Layers. The Menu is NOW a PSD, and when Opened in PS will reflect the Layer structure (try this at home). If one had constructed Buttons in the JPEG, they would now only be graphics on that one single Background Layer in the JPEG. They would not function as Buttons, but could be useful graphics for other things. One would then need to add real Button Layer Sets to the PSD to be able to add any navigation.

Back in the post above, I suggested doing the Save_As to JPEG to see how things get changed. Use that in another test - Import that JPEG as a Menu. In Encore, try to Link to what had originally been Buttons in that Imported JPEG. What happens? Can you Link to them, even though you are now working with the created PSD?

Now, add a Button, or two, from the Library. Choose Edit in Photoshop, and look at the Layer and Layer Set structure. Things have changed from the original JPEG, with only the Background Layer. You now have that Library Button's Layer Set structure.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

Here are looks at the structure, using the Library Menu Business>Clock:

01_Clock_Menu_Open_PSD.jpg

The Menu in PSD with the Layers Palette Open

02_Clock_Menu_Open_JPG.jpg

Same Image With Layers Flattened to Save As a JPEG

03_NTSC_Clock Menu_Flattened.jpg

What the JPEG Looks Like As a Flattened JPEG

The only way to Import that JPEG into Encore as a Menu would be to change the file extension to PSD, but what appear to be Buttons would NOT be Buttons, but just static pixels in the Background.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added graphics