1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 7:15 AM by Oraijon

Another "there was an error opening this document. this file cannot be found"-question

Oraijon

Hello people, as the title suggests, i have another question regarding the "there was an error opening this document. this file cannot be found" error. I have searched on Google and on these forums but i havent found an answer to my particular case (sorry if i overlooked it).

I work at a supportdesk for a company that uses Windows XP with Adobe Reader version 8.1.3.

Users are getting this error when they access a PDF file placed on a (mapped) networkdrive. Contrary to some other cases i have found on this forum, spaces are handled without a problem. But a comma in the name of one of the folders that contain the PDF file are what causes this error.

i.e.:

Opening the following path results in the error:

L:\X, Y & Z\adobe.pdf

Removing the comma so the path becomes:

L:\X Y & Z\adobe.pdf

works just fine.

So far our workaround has always been to simply remove the comma and move on, but I've been wondering why this comma is such a problem for Adobe Reader. As far as i know Adobe Reader is the only program we use that has this issue, M$ Word works just fine with it to name an example.

To sum my questions up:

- Why is comma (,) a problem for Adobe Reader?

- Have i missed any patches/new versions where this issue has been addressed?

- What is Adobe's stance on this, and are there any plans to "fix" this?