18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 8:38 AM by nyumeddei

Ram preview

nyumeddei Level 1

In cs3 for mac, it was possible to shuttle away from the program while it compiled a ram preview, but now, it stops the preview from progressing when you click away or go to another space. Is there a setting i am not aware of?

greg

• 1. Re: Ram preview
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just tried, and it's working fine for me. I initiated a RAM preview and then opened Firefox, fipped through some items in Google Reader... and the RAM preview kept building in After Effects.

Here's my first guess about why it might be failing for you:

When you switch to the other application, the operating system is giving RAM to that other application that was just an instant ago being used for After Effects. This could happen because you don't have very much RAM in your computer or because you didn't allocate much RAM to other applications. Here's a somewhat related article that talks about making sure that you give After Effects and other software on your computer enough RAM to work.

• 2. Re: Ram preview
            nyumeddei Level 1

thanks for the reply! i read that article and gave 6 gigs to after effects and 2 gigs to my other resources. that isnt enough??

greg

• 3. Re: Ram preview
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> i read that article and gave 6 gigs to after effects and 2 gigs to my other resources. that isnt enough?

I don't know what application(s) you're using together with After Effects. 2GB is plenty if all that you have running is Firefox. But if you're running Photoshop and Word... maybe not.

I'm not certain of my explanation of the behavior that you are seeing. It's just my first guess. I'd be happy to move on to my next guess when you report back regarding what else you're running and whether giving more RAM to other applications helped.

• 4. Re: Ram preview
                nyumeddei Level 1

the other programs are mail, calendar, chrome adium (A chat program) and itunes. i thought 2 gigs would be enough. i am monitoring the ram, and there is plenty of green.

Greg

• 5. Re: Ram preview
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Does increasing the RAM available to other applications help with this specific behavior?

Also, it may be that the OS is handling RAM differently in 10.6.4 (which I know from another thread that you're running). I'm doing this on 10.5.8 on a machine with a large amount of RAM. I'll fire up my other computer with 10.6.3 and less RAM and see if I can reproduce what you're seeing.

• 6. Re: Ram preview
                    nyumeddei Level 1

yes, sorry i didnt reproduce the specs, i should just make a signature from now on. Changing those memory settings did not stop that from happening.

I am also using spaces. and two monitors. I have AE in one monitor though.

Greg

• 7. Re: Ram preview
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

How are you switching between applications, by the way? Clicking from one window to the other? Clicking an icon in the dock? Command+Tab?

• 8. Re: Ram preview
                        nyumeddei Level 1

all sorts of ways, command+tab, space change, clicking on the desktop or another window while in the same space all stop the ram preview. its like any input on the keyboard or mouse triggers it to stop.

• 9. Re: Ram preview
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This definitely feels like a bug to me. I can't reproduce the behavior on my computers unless I greatly limit the RAM allocated to other software. But I'm also not running 10.6.4. Would you please file a bug report?

• 10. Re: Ram preview
                            nyumeddei Level 1

i think i know what part of the issue with the ram preview was. The permissions for my applications folder was completely out of whack. So, when i left the window, AE no longer had permission to execute a ram preview. Fixing my permissions stopped that from happening, and i could leave the window and the ram preview would still progress. However, when doing a number pad 0 ram preview, the program still hangs and causes the beach ball of death. It takes some time to come back from this status.

• 11. Re: Ram preview
                              mike_morales Level 2

Same issue here, as soon as I click away from a ram preview and AE loses focus, it instantly stops. So during a long render, I've got to sit there and not click away.  I thought that was "just the way it is" - but if it's possible to to ram preview while doing other things, that'd be great! nyumeddei, what did you set your app folder permissions to?

• 12. Re: Ram preview
                                mike_morales Level 2

ooops, correction, this was happening only when I 'previewed' using the space bar - which according to the documentation, is a 'standard preview' if I use the Preview panel and press the play button to ram preview, then it works and I can multitask! COOOL! I didn't know that was possible.

• 13. Re: Ram preview
                                  nyumeddei Level 1

Yes, you should be able to leave After effects during a ram preview! i find that pressing the actual ram preview button allows me to do this, while pressing the numeric pad 0 does not. To fix permissions, you need to go to disk utility and choose the system disk. then press repair permissions.

• 14. Re: Ram preview
                                    nyumeddei Level 1

the ability to leave the window was definitely possible during all types of ram previews in CS3.

• 15. Re: Ram preview
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> the ability to leave the window was definitely possible during all types of ram previews in CS3.

I'm able to do this on all of my computers running After Effects CS5: Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OSX v10.5.8. I don't know what's preventing you from doing it, but I suspect that it may be specific to the operating system version. That's why I asked you to file a bug report, so that our engineers could look into that detail.

• 16. Re: Ram preview
                                        nyumeddei Level 1

oh you mean a formal bug report here. i posted a lengthy bug report when it crashed (that nice dialog box that greets me when AE goes away)  and submitted it. do those not count?

• 17. Re: Ram preview
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> oh you mean a formal bug report here. i posted a lengthy bug report when it crashed (that nice dialog box that greets me when AE goes away)  and submitted it. do those not count?

That's a crash report. It's useful for diagnosing crashes.

If we're talking about a failure to do something (e.g., continue a RAM preview when you switch applications), that's not a crash, and so that isn't something that you'd write up in a crash report.

• 18. Re: Ram preview
                                            nyumeddei Level 1

True, but the issue is stranger then just not being able to switch windows. It also causes hangups and swirly beach balls. sometimes it comes back, sometimes you need to force quit. i will put in that bug report!