21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 3:09 PM by the_wine_snob

adding media help

digitalmusicman

I've been using something called Vuze to download some movies from the web. (this is a BITTORENT app.) well,the videos download ok and infact,last night I burned one onto dvd and it plays ok on the tv. (Vuze gives you 1 free burn to dvd then you have to pay) the files come down as an .avi file and that's exactly what "windows explorer" says they are, but when I try to add any of these downloaded files into PE, it shows up as only an audio file. (you know,it has the little speaker icon next to the filename in "available media". sounds like Vuze is playing with the file doesn't it?. I want to burn dvd's from PE and avoid paying Vuze for burning. am I missing something or am I s.o.l. ?

tnx,

• 1. Re: adding media help
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most likely, these are using either the Vidx, or DivX CODEC, and will not edit in PrE. This ARTICLE will give you some background on AVI (and MOV, MPEG's and WMV's too). It also tells you how to find out the CODEC inside.

The workflow would be to use a file converter to get the files to DV-AVI Type II's, which is a particular form of AVI, or a program, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, to edit those CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: adding media help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you more background on CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: adding media help
              digitalmusicman Level 1

thanks for an excellent answer Bill. those articles were very informative. I used GSPOT to analyze the .avi files I had trouble with and found the XVID codec was not loaded.(you're right, GSPOT is a "must have" tool) I found XVID on the web,downloaded and installed it and my problems are solved.

I also got a "burning" :-) question answered along the way: when I downloaded this movie which was a regular hour and a half movie, the .avi file was ONLY 700 MB. small for a full length movie. well,the XVID faq tells me that XVID compresses the h*** out of files so they can be downloaded in a reasonable amount of time. (this must be why those download sites use XVID to compress movies) slick!

tnx,

• 4. Re: adding media help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to be of help.

Xvid is the open-source version of the commercial DivX. Usually, it will not edit in PrE (or PrPro), and that is why I mentioned CyberLink's PowerDirector. It seems to be much more lenient and more non-standard CODEC's seem to work better with it.

Remember - Xvid is a very highly-compressed CODEC and is designed of streaming delivery-only (not meant for editing) media. Some helmet-cams, and similar, use it, but that is due to very limited storage space and the idea that the consumer will only want to share the footage, and not edit it. The compression is extreme, so much quality is lost initially. Still, I get handed this sort of delivery-only footage, and just convert to DV-AVI Type II for editing, though that does NOT reclaim the lost quality.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: adding media help
                  digitalmusicman Level 1

funny,all videos I download will now work in PE since I put xvid on the computer. all,except videos that have their audio encoded with Dolby ac3 codec.you can add the media and it looks ok but putting it onto the timeline results in just the video showing up, no audio. is there a way to get PE3 to work with Dolby ac3?

tnx,

• 6. Re: adding media help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are getting Xvid Encoded AVI's to Import and edit in PrE, you are so very far ahead of almost everyone else.

Most can get either Audio only (most often, with the Video frozen on Frame 1), Video only, or if they get both, the OOS is horrible, and playback jumpy.

Consider yourself lucky.

Xvid, like the commercial DivX is designed to be streaming delivery-only, and is not intended to be edited. The compression is very, very high, so even if one converts it, or finds a program to edit it, the quality is horrible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: adding media help
                      digitalmusicman Level 1

no,I'm not importing those video's to edit 'em,I only want to burn dvd's from PE,much nicer dvd's are done by PE than Vuze.

anyhoo, just found something interresting: only the 1st two video's in the set of 8 are encoded with Dolby,the others have their audio encoded with plain old MPEG and work in PE just fine. (again,NO editing will be attempted)

just as an aside,in case anyone's interrested,the videos are the "winds of war" tv series. lots of this type of thing with BITTORRENT. plan on downloading "war and remembrance" next then some other tv miniseries which are hard to find.

tnx,

• 8. Re: adding media help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Deleted by Hunt - wrong thread.

Hunt

• 9. Re: adding media help
                          digitalmusicman Level 1

not to be a P.I.T.A. (pain in the a**) but everything I've read says that PE (even an old V3 like mine) should be able to use Dolby encoding. so the question is why when I import an AVI file with Dolby audio does the audio not show up? hmm...could there be some sort of plug-in like the plug-in I had to get for my audio software to make .mp3 work? (.mp3 is some kind of proprietary stuff and maybe Dolby encoding is too)

tnx,

• 10. Re: adding media help
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are many different Dolby Audio schemes.

What exactly is yours?

I know that in later versions of PrE, DD 5.1 SS is supported in the Project Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: adding media help
                              digitalmusicman Level 1

the particular encoding of these 2 files is,according to GSPOT,[dolby ac3] ac3

anyway, since we're only dealing with 2 files out of 8, I'll probably just burn the 2 dvd's with some free software like DVDflick.

tnx,

• 12. Re: adding media help
                                digitalmusicman Level 1

so what you're saying Bill, is that the audio portions of those files

(they're all .avi files) should be converted to wav/pcm? (any that use MPEG

anyway)

tnx,

DVB systems Audio/Video restoration

www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

DVB systems

Ken Bouchard

1520 Big Valley Dr.

Colo. Springs CO 80919

USA

• 13. Re: adding media help
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If one is having issues with the Audio, then I would use a program, like Adobe Audition (my first choice, but rather expensive), or the great, free Audacity, to rip the Audio portion from the AV file. All one needs to do then is just Save, choosing PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and Import those files into the video editing program.

Now, back to your Audio. DD AC3 is a common format/CODEC, and is one of the two DVD-Compliant Audio streams, so they should not present any issues. Not sure why they are doing so for you. MP3's, OTOH, often present problems, so I ALWAYS convert those to PCM/WAV.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - DD AC3 can be 2-channel (stereo), or 6-channel (5.1). PrE should be able to handle either, though it cannot Export/Share to 5.1 and will do a mix-down to 2-channel. Even so, it can handle the 6-channel, as of at least PrE 7, since many AVCHD cameras shoot DD 5.1 SS.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 14. Re: adding media help
                                    digitalmusicman Level 1

Bill, I've been using "Soundforge" for years in my audio business,so I'll

use that for any conversions. (in my humble opinion,it's better than

Audition,but then again, I've never done anything really fancy)

my video business is just taking customer's media (like vhs tapes and most

camcorder tapes) pulling it into PE,adding a menu then burning a dvd,hence

I'm not up on codecs and the like. thanks for all the help!

tnx,

DVB systems

Ken Bouchard

1520 Big Valley Dr.

Colo. Springs CO 80919

USA

• 15. Re: adding media help
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never used SoundForge, but it should do a fine job too. I hear great things about it, but have used Audition for years, so just stick with what works for me.

As for CODEC's, this ARTICLE might be useful down the line. I also recommend this ARTICLE for general AV file format and CODEC info. Considering your normal Projects, a lot will likely not come into play, as you have the ultimate control. However, if clients start bringing in various source footage, you will start to encounter all sorts of "stuff," and those might prove helpful in solving problems later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: adding media help
                                        digitalmusicman Level 1

here's where I'm at: Bill:  I decided to just download a free dvd

burning/authoring app. and let that burn my dvd's. well,THAT didn't work out

'cause evidently, free dvd type apps. don't like Dolby and informed me that

there was no audio. so I went back to PE,pulled in the .avi file (no audio),

ripped the audio from the .avi file,made it into a 48khz .wav file, imported

that into PE and VOILA! video AND audio now are on the timeline. great huh?

I can now burn a dvd from PE,right? well,not quite yet. the video and audio

are out of sync. gotta work on that.

tnx,

DVB systems

Ken Bouchard

1520 Big Valley Dr.

Colo. Springs CO 80919

USA

• 17. Re: adding media help
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I use PrPro for most of my video (and a bunch of my audio) editing, and then Adobe Encore to do the authoring. Here is my workflow, and it might save you a step or two.

Edit in PrPro (fill in PrE here), and then Export as elemental streams, i.e. one Video-only DV-AVI Type II file and one Audio-only PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file. Here, you might do things a bit differently, depending on the authoring app. You may need to do the Transcode to a 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2 (still, video-only) to Import into the authoring app.

In Encore, I Import the DV-AVI Type II video-only file as a Timeline, and the PCM/WAV audio-only file as an Asset. In Encore, I just drag the WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it snaps into place. In your authoring app, I don't know what file types it might/might not accept, but it should accept elemental streams of the proper type/CODEC.

A bit of investigation and adaptation might save you having to demux/rip the audio and convert that.

Good luck, and hope that helps save you a step, or two.

Hunt

• 18. Re: adding media help
                                            digitalmusicman Level 1

I messed up when I ripped the audio from the .avi file, had the wrong

bitrate. audio and video seem to be in sync now. with the files I've given

it to "munch" on, PE is doing pretty good but "belches" now and then

tnx,

DVB systems

Ken Bouchard

1520 Big Valley Dr.

Colo. Springs CO 80919

USA

• 19. Re: adding media help
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck on the redo with the Audio. The specs. that work best are: PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, which matches up perfectly with DVD and BD Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: adding media help
                                                digitalmusicman Level 1

well,Bill,with your help and some web searches,this problem is solved (I

think) the final "fix" was to install something called "ac filter". this

thing evidently converts an ac3 stream  so it becomes WAV (avoids having to

rip audio) and that free burning software I got from the web will burn the

.avi file. (well,that dumb software didn't actually BURN the dvd, I had to

physically burn the video_ts folder myself with NERO because the software

said I had no burning device even though it said it was there! must  be why

it's free. you get what you pay for!)

as for PE, it still "vomits" with an XVID file, but at least I can now pull

in the .avi file and PE sees both the video AND audio  streams that are

within.

tnx,

DVB systems

Ken Bouchard

1520 Big Valley Dr.

Colo. Springs CO 80919

USA

• 21. Re: adding media help
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When programs cannot find the DVD burner, take a look at this ARTICLE, as many programs can get in the way, and not just with PrE, and Encore.

For the Audio, usually fully DVD-compliant DD AC3 material will Import and edit fine, even 6-channel DD AC3's. Now, PrPro had an issue, until CS4.2, and there was a little trick, where with PrPro 1.0 thru CS3, one just needed to copy over the AC3 .dll from Adobe Encore. That trick vanished with CS4 and did not work with CS4.1. By CS4.2, the new version had been added to the program.

Glad that you were able to find an AC3 plug-in, that now handles things well. Being able to manage the material, without ripping, or converting, is always good.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt