4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 1:38 PM by areohbee

Lightroom 3 resize speed

Sam1015

Yesterday I selected folder with 502 RAW dng images and converted them to small jpg for web use.

Color space, ppi and dimensionns were changed. This took about an hour.

I have a Mac Pro with quad processors and 16 gig of RAM sending to two 1 gig HD in raid 0.

This took an hour. Does this seem reasonable??

Thanks!!

Sam

• 1. Re: Lightroom 3 resize speed
          renambot

Sounds OK. My laptop (latest macbookpro, unpluggled from power) takes around 10 sec. per frame to export.

500 frames * 10 sec: ~ 1h 20 min.

Once done editing, you can try to delete all the previews, select the 2010 raw engine, re-generate full-size previews (or standard size) and optimize your catalog upon exit.

Make sure your drives are not in degraded state (poor perf. is often is symptoms).

Luc

• 2. Re: Lightroom 3 resize speed
            areohbee Level 5

I believe this post may have been better targeted at the Lightroom Forum proper. And no, I'm not the forum moderator, but yes - I've made this sort of mistake more than once myself...

R

• 3. Re: Lightroom 3 resize speed
              Sam1015 Level 1

Thanks for your responces. I guess this is pretty normal.

Sam

• 4. Re: Lightroom 3 resize speed
                areohbee Level 5

Yes - rendering raws from scratch takes a long time on any machine using any software - at least a few seconds each if there are few adjustments, fast ("bugless") software, and fast hardware... More likely several seconds+ on the average. If you re-export much, consider folding changes into a tif or jpeg which will then render much faster. Also, if the first ones render fast but the latter ones render slow, you're software has a bug that probably includes a memory leak - consider dividing the exports into smaller chunks and restart Lightroom in between until the bugs are fixed.

R