13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2010 4:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Unable to run Adobe Premier elements

Louscannon3

I have recently received both photoshop elements 8.0 and premiere elements 8.0 and neither will install.

I  have gone through (at length!) all the support suggestions e.g.  adusting accelaration etc. I mad a post on another forum and they referrred me to "Pre" forms. If this forum is not appropriate please send alink to the correct one as you support so far has been poor to say the least.

This is a new product which appear to download (eventually, it crashed twice in installation) Some three hous later i think it has down loaded but i cannot find any "setup" icon or listing on "my programs". I was advised to download a "test version from yoru website. Again this appeared to download (after soem difficulty). Again there is no sign of it on my computer. I am now over a week into my 30 day "trial period and I have not been able to access at all (either the DVD version i purchased or the download version). Please advise as a matter of urgency.

• 1. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the correct forum.

Now, let's step back a bit. Here is a general CHECKLIST for installation of most Adobe programs. Look down this, and see if you missed something.

Also remember that with a download, you MUST extract the files and their folder structure to install, as the download files are archived, and usually with 7z (sort of like ZIP, but with better X-platform support).

Also, there will be a download for PrE, one for PSE and probably another for the Functional Content, i.e. Menu Sets, Templates, Themes and more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
            Louscannon3 Level 1

Fllowing your link (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569663?tstart=0*)

produced the following error message:

"An unexpected error has occurred"

You really are not having much luck!

please try again

I inserted the installation disc one and followed the instructions on screen.

How much could I have missed out?

Once installed or at least it appeared to have finished i.e installation bar had run out. Then absolutely nothing!

Any more ideas?

• 3. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Try this URL: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569663?tstart=0

Clicking on the word CHECKLIST worked fine for me, but maybe something else is happening. I got the same error, when I clicked your furnished link, so do not know what's up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>product which appear to download (eventually, it crashed twice in installation)

You also have confused things with your terms... at least you confused me

You do not "download" a program from disc to computer... you install

A download refers to going to an Internet site to download a file to your computer

Anyway, provide computer details so someone may verify that you may even install & run the program

• 5. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                  nealeh Level 5

Louscannon3 wrote:

you support so far has been poor to say the least.  ...

... I was advised to download a "test version from yoru website.

Be aware that we are all only users on this forum, trying to help each other out. Posting in this forum will not be seen by Adobe. To contact Adobe to report your problem click the Adobe Icon (or the Support links) at the top of this page.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                    Louscannon3 Level 1

It is a pity that "John Smith adopts such superior attitude. Sorry for being a computer Klux but that is exactly why I am on this forum because I don't know exactly what I am doing. If "John" does not like confusing posts he might be better not answering at all and not get exasperated by folk like me. Bill's post was much more helpful as once I was able to follow his link it recommended me to switch off spyware and antivirus. This was a much more helpful comment and I will try it.

Cheers Bill

• 7. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                      Louscannon3 Level 1

Not helpful to ask Adobe as i am in the Uk they said on

contacting them that they do not support on line help outisde US

My call was terminated by them. Nice try though

• 8. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                        nealeh Level 5

Yet again the UK gets a bum deal (I'm also in UK). They do however have an online fault system at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/support/index.cfm?event=portal&loc=en_gb . Try repeating your question there - hopefully (very) they are measured by speed and accuracy of issue resolution so get it there ASAP.

Note that last year Adobe issued an open letter concerning its poor support record. You could maybe point them at some of the points their Vice President acknowledged. In my opinion hanging up (assuming you were professional and neither rude or aggressive) is unacceptable.

Here is the text of the open letter (around August 2009):

Open Letter to Adobe Customers

Adobe is committed to providing the most advanced, innovative products and services in the world. Recently, however, our customers have experienced a level of service that is inconsistent with what they expect and deserve. This is unacceptable and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are working diligently  — in fact, teams are working around the clock — to resolve these issues. I'd like to thank all our customers who are sharing feedback and giving us the opportunity to respond. We appreciate your loyalty, support, and willingness to make your concerns heard.

Adobe is in the process of transitioning to a new global service provider that will help grow and improve the quality of our customer service worldwide. While our new partner is a recognized leader in service and support solutions, this is a major global transition that includes bringing more than 800 new agents onboard. Clearly this process has not gone as smoothly as we had planned, and we are working to immediately remedy the situation. We are confident that once this transition is completed, we will provide customers with new and better ways to engage with Adobe using their preferred methods, helping to ensure prompt, effective customer service.

The Adobe Customer Care leadership team is monitoring our customers' experiences closely to understand and respond to the challenges you are encountering. If you experience difficulties of any kind, contacting Customer Service in your local region remains the best initial course of action; however, during this transition period, unresolved issues can also be directed to adbecare@adobe.com.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we make this transition and work to improve our service and support operations for customers around the world.

Regards,
                        Lambert Walsh
                        Vice President, Technical Services

Good luck!

--
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Let's try not to get into personal things here on the forum, guys.

We've got a lot of people who spend a lot of hours helping a lot of people out on these forums for absolutely no money (myself included). They all contribute in their own ways.

Thanks for keeping it civil, folks.

• 10. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>same error, when I clicked your furnished link, so do not know what's up

The link he posted back (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569663?tstart=0*) is bad because of the * which was somehow added at the end

To the OP (Original Poster)

More information is needed http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
                            Plus Video Info http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0
                            Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                            - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                            Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
                            Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 11. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                              Louscannon3 Level 1

Ok thanks for all the helpful remarks

I have now tried installation again from disc (with antivirus and antispyware disabled) on my Windows XP system.

All checks suggests sufficient memory and disc space.

The installation file appeared on my desktop. I clicked on what I think was the correct installation “Pre” icon. It appeared to go okay for a time and appeared to be extracting the files but I got the following error message

"Error 1335

The cabinet file data1.cab required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, or an error reading from the CD ROM or a problem with the package".

Do I have a corrupt file “Data1.cab”?

I have also tried downloading the trial version from the website, but I cannot get this to work either (same error message).

Logic says it is unlikely that both the Software I purchased and the download has the same problem file and that it is a problem with my computer, but I notice that Premiere elements has required a patch to stop it crashing in installation.

Can anyone advise on next course of action?

• 12. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                                nealeh Level 5

Getting the same error on two different install mediums suggests that all is not well with your PC - possibly an outdated system file not reading recent .cab archives. Here's some things you might like to look at:

• Install all windows updates (recommended and optional).
                                • If you have installed third-party archive software it may have replaced the system .cab reader - if you have such an archiver installed try removing it before installing PRE.
                                • If you are connected to a network check that your %temp% path is set to your local drive and not a network one.
                                • Run the installer by right-clicking and selecting 'Run as'. In the dialog that follows select the 'The following user' radio button and user name as 'Administrator'.

Also note that a Google search on error 1335 is often cited as being caused by faulty memory or CD/DVD Drive hardware problems. If you have multiple memory chips try removing them all bar one and then test each one by trying to install PRE - if it works with one chip but not another then you will have identified a faulty one. For the CD/DVD drive borrow a USB drive and see if it installs from that.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Unable to run Adobe Premier elements
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the OP gets to the point of testing RAM, there are links to some utilities in this ARTICLE.

By my way of thinking, I would go over the OS with a fine-tooth comb. If nothing shows up there, then I'd start testing all hardware very carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt