8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 7:30 AM by Aegis Kleais

From FRAPS to something more manageable

Aegis Kleais Level 3

Most of my work is for video game footage.  I use the Adobe Media Encoder to change over my videos from their original format (captured via FRAPS as an uncompressed AVI file) to a more manageable one, but I would like help on knowing what settings would work best for me.

I capture video at 1280x720 (16:9) square pixel, 60FPS via FRAPS1 codec.  Approx 1 minute = 1GB in file size.

I'm looking for a Windows-friendly format with emphasis on vibrancy, and quality.

So far I've tried: WMV - 5000Kbps video, 192Kbps 16-bit stereo audio, quality 90 CBR, but the quality just doesn't look that great.  Don't get me wrong, I love going from 1GB for a minute's work to 60MB, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest something better.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would look into the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. The file size will be larger than WMV, or MPEG, but smaller than AVI Uncompressed. The fidelity will be excellent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
            shooternz Level 6

Side question (threadjack)  about Lagarith.

If a file is encoded (by me) in Lagarith...does another  editor on another computer require the CODEC to edit it, or play it?

• 3. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
              Colin Brougham Level 6

How about DVCPROHD? Select P2 Movie as the format, and use the 720p/60 output option. It will create a CONTENTS folder in your destination, along with 6 other folders, i.e. VIDEO, AUDIO, CLIP and so on. You can browse to this folder using Media Browser, and import the clips you need (you'll see thumbnails). DVCPROHD works really well on just about any computer made in the last 5 years.

You could also use the AVCIntra option (also under P2 Movie) but it will require some more horsepower. If you give either of these a shot (sorry, no Fraps movies to test), post back with your results.

• 4. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes; it doesn't come standard with Windows, and it's unavailable on Mac.

• 5. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
                  Aegis Kleais Level 3

DVCPROHD?

Does it allow me to set the frame sizes?  Though I have an i7 2.67GHz 12GB DDR3 GTX285 OC rig, I capture my games with FRAPS while playing back the demos at HALF resolution (960x540)  I set FRAPS to capture FULL SIZE (960x540) at 60FPS (high FPS because sometimes I want to slow footage playback)

Most of the time, a lot of these codecs/settings go sideways when you want to enter your own value.

So will DVPROHD do 960x540 @ 60FPS Progressive, 192Kbps 16-bit stereo?

• 6. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Yes. However, it's free, so if there is no IT ban on such, it's easy to do and to use.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, I see that Colin already answered that question. Thought he was still on DVCPRO. Sorry.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 7. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

DVCPROHD--like DV--is a fixed standard, with specific bit rates, frame rates, frame sizes, and so on. You mentioned in your first post that you capture 1280x720 square pixel, which is full-raster HD--DVCPROHD is not full-raster (960x720 for 720p and 1280x1080 for 1080i/p) but should still look good at those dimensions.

However, you just started talking about 960x540, mentioning both "half-resolution" and "full-resolution," and I'm not sure where that comes into play. Is that your final export size, or do you resize the 1280x720 capture to those dimensions for editing? DVCPROHD is not going to work well in this case, as you'd be upscaling and probably wouldn't be too happy with the results--and since it has those fixed pixel dimensions, you can't make it match those particular dimensions.

If you can shed a little more light on your workflow and intended output, that will aid in making a better recommendation.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: From FRAPS to something more manageable
                        Aegis Kleais Level 3

Sorry about that confusion there; Let me see if I can clear things up fully.

PURPOSE OF PROJECT: Creating video-game based footage videos

SOURCE VIDEO: Game, which I play at 1920x1080 and record a demo of in-game.

CAPTURE METHOD: Playback the demo at 960x540 (half of 1920x1080) and use Fraps software to capture full size (960x540) at 60FPS. This makes it easier on my rig to capture and maintain capture rate of 60FPS than playing the game back at the original 1920x1080 and capturing full size or half-size.

COMPUTER SPECS: i7 920 2.67GHz, 12GB DDR3, BFG GTX285 OC, Windows 7 Pro x64, 2x 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB

SOFTWARE: After Effects CS5 (for effects), Premiere Pro CS5 (for video), Adobe Media Encoder (to reduce massive FRAPS-captured video into more manageable videos) and Trapcode Particular

Since the videos captured are 960x540@60FPS, they size about 1GB/minute.  FRAPS is designed so that when the captured video sizes around 4GB, it creates a new file seemlessly to allow for uninterupted captures.

960x540 is still 16:9 (just a less-common frame size)  And my question is: What codec (and settings) would allow me to maintain excellent quality, but help me vastly reduce the uncompressed AVI filesize.

Oddly, aside from Premiere's 100% "crash-on-exit" bug, the program doesn't move as quickly as my old editing software (Sony Vegas 8); so there also may be some settings I need to change to get the app to run more efficiently.  I try not to have multiple Adobe software open at one time so as to give the app as much memory as it needs.

FRAPS CAN capture at the more popular 1280x720, but I'm not sure if my rig will capture that at 60FPS without stuttering.  Dropping the capture to 30FPS would help, but then if I wanted to do slo-motion with some footage, I wouldn't have enough frames without having to do some frame blending/smoothing or the like...

Hope that clears up my intent; thanks.