17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 8:07 AM by Steve Grisetti

.MOVs keep crashing system

rtprtp

Hi All,aft

I have brought in mov files with success in the past. This time, however, when I bring in a large number (15 plus, 60 sec each) I get the blue screen of death when I Get Media at around the 17th or 18th file. Any suggestions? Should I try converting the MOVs first, and if so, to what exactly.

My preset is HDV.

Thanks in advance!

Stan

• 1. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what kind of camcorder those MOVs came from, Stan.

MOVs, like AVIs, are just a file package. They can be made up of any of hundreds of codecs.

Premiere Elements can only successfully work with a limited number of them. Video from still cameras, for instance, can be challenging and will usually need to be converted.

• 2. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

A BSOD is most often caused by hardware issues. Some of the most common are:

1.) Heat buildup

2.) RAM

3.) Power supply

4.) MoBo

This ARTICLE will give you some tools for testing.

For the MOV files, that extension is but a wrapper. It is what's inside, that really counts. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
              Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Alternatively, if they are from a Canon 5D mark II @H264 Mov 1920 x 1080 they will be accepted by Premiere Elements 4 , however, if you have not cleared the Temporary Files in your system they could freeze up as 5 sec clips are 25MB. Try in the Explorer Address Window,type " %temp%" , Delete any Temp files from your system, otherwise do, say 5 clips at 4 sec each place on timeline convert to Microsoft Wnidows avi, and uncompressed, render timeline and Export to Movie and then reimport as the Cineform avi file. As we still use Premeire Pro 1.5.1 this is a smoother method of Importing the files so that they can be easily handled on the timeline. The result is broadcast quality 1920 x 1080 to tape.Seeing is believing on a Sony Bravia HD 46".

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

• 4. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
                rtprtp Level 1

Steve, the video is coming from te Canon T2i. Are there any programs you would suggest for converting to DV AVI? I read somewhere that Prism worked well.

Thanks, ST

• 5. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Results are decidedly mixed for video from any still camera, Bob. For most people, it doesn't work at all.

The best solution is convert it to a DV-AVI using Super or Quicktime Pro, as detailed in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 6. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Steve,

I agree with the conversion mov. to dv-avi to be used in Premiere Pro 1.5.1

and the HDV out put to tape is very good. I do not use Premiere Elements for

the final Export.Ps. Steve, We have been using this for over 12 months without a hicup and the downsizing from 1440 x1080 to Standard Digital for DVD's is also impressive, the video is as smmoth if not better than the look on the Canon's LCD>

Regards

• 7. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Steve,

You probably have checked out the video "REVERIE" and others on the Canon web site for the Canon 5D mark II in 1920x1080 HD. We use a PC he uses a MAC with Final Cut Pro the results look similar. The still camera can produce the results handled correctly as any camera or camcorder>

Ps. The difference between a video camcorder is the large CMOS 35mm sensor for the 5D and the control of the depth of field, the big thing missing is the motor control of ZOOM and the handling quality is not as good as a video camcorder pro.. The quality of the H264 mov files is amazing.

• 8. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Yes, that 5D produces excellent video, and many pros are using it as a video camcorder.

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements is not yet compatible with that video. Premiere Pro, yes. Premiere Elements, probably not. Sorry.

• 9. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
                          rtprtp Level 1

Steve, I used PE7 to convert, as you suggested. I seem to be losing a bit of quality. If the MOVs are High Def 1081i, what settings do you recommend in PE7 when I export to DV AVI?

Thanks for your help. ST

• 10. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Unfortunately you can't use Premiere Elements 7 to convert this file, rtp.

As I said above, Super or, even better, Quicktime Pro will likely need to be used to convert this file to a quality DV-AVI.

Your converted file will be standard resolution rather than hi-rez. But it will load right into Premiere Elements.

The alternative, as I've said, is to use a professional program like Premiere Pro or one of the Apple Final Cut programs.

• 11. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Steve,

You are obviously more experienced than me, however,I have been processing H264 mov files out of the Canon 5D mark II for over 12 months in Premiere Elements 4 @1920 x 1080 but only about 10-15 clips of say 5 secs at a time otherwise it crashes. I found that the main reason for the crash was my Temp files had not been cleared, some 1,443 in the old computer,  after removing these by typing %temp% in the Explorer Address box the temp files opened and the trouble was deleted. After rendering the timeline it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. Then Exported to Movie as Microsoft avi , click "uncompressed" in the old 3.2GHZ Dimension, a multi processor , with hyper-threading ( all to Adobe System requirements) and saved the file to reopen as Cineform avi in the Premiere Pro 1.5.1 because it did not like the mov files to work on in the timeline.The result was superb HDV 1440 x1080 Exported to Tape via a Canon HV 20. The new Quad Core handles all this without all the messing around. This may help someone?

• 12. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Stan,

See my reply to Steve Grisetti, it may help in this imperfect world.?????

• 13. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Just curious. As you also have PrPro 1.5, have you thought about CS5? Yes, I know - 64-bit only, and I am working though that too, but it has a DSLR Preset, based on the Canon 5D/7D, and many just love it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Hi,

Check out the thread '.MOVs keep crashing system' on Adobe Forums.

Bill,

I did get the Quad Core and a Nvidia Fx3800 especially for CS5 and of course it is 64 bit.

But, I am surprised how good the Premiere Pro 1.5.1 works in I7 with very fast renders. Going to Lord Howe Is to do some HD video and imaginng.  Maybe buy CS5 after that.

Regards

-- Bob Dix

Just follow this link to see the thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/694676

(If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it from this email into your browser's address bar.)

• 15. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Hi Bill,

Sent e-mail to you, yes   have upgraded to CS5 Premiere 5 System specifications and beyond. My theory is"if it isn't broke, don't fix it" but, as Harm said I need to do somthing to "get with it" well he did say upgrade some months ago, but, this thing is turning out the goods ???????????

Thanks

• 16. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

I am envious. I am still working up to a new system, just for CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: .MOVs keep crashing system

Hopefully the next generation of Premiere Elements will be able to work with video from a Canon 5D, Bob.

As I said, it's an excellent picture, and many pros are beginning to use it as a video camcorder. But it won't likely work in Premiere Elements at this time, unfortunately.