10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 4:13 PM by Dob Seager

Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8

Dob Seager

Because of frequent crashes I have had to set the auto-save interval down to 3 minutes. Using some logic that I don't understand Premier 8 often creates a new Auto-save folder and creates backup .prel files with and increasing increment in the file name. I had hoped that it would just do a normal save overwritting the original like a manual save.

Be that as it may, I didn't realize that Premier has created a series of Auto-Save files with  illegal Windows file names. It shows in the folder and has a size but if you check with properties there is no file name and 0 bytes. Windows cannot rename them or copy them nor can Premier open them. I am stuck with a lot of lost  work.

Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks

Don Seager

• 1. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

The AutoSave files are written to the AutoSave folder, created in the Project's folder hierarchy. Depending on the number of AutoSaves that you have chosen, it will write [Project Name]autosave.001 through 005 (the default). These are FIFO, so that the program will start with 001, and progress through 005, then overwrite 001 through 005 again, before starting over. I would not cut back on the number of AutoSaves, and might even bump it up, if you are having problems.

This ARTICLE might offer some other alternatives, in a backup scheme.

You might also want to give full details on your computer, your Project and your Assets, to see if we can address the crashing issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
            nealeh Level 5

Re the illegal filename, what is your project called? It perhaps includes a reserved character used by the OS (e.g. ":" or "\").

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
              Dob Seager Level 1

Hi Bill and Neale,

Thank you for your responses.

Neale – The basic file name is 'Old Movies Revised DVD 1' followed by the appropriate extensions. If there were an illegal character I would hope that Premier 8 would have refused to accept it as a project name to begin with.

Bill – This project consists of converting an hour-long analog camcorder 8 mm video tape to a DVD eventually. I had to use Pinnacle to capture the 8 mm to an AVI file for Premier. No problems with Premier on that part of it.

The original 8mm tape came from a bunch of family 8 mm family reels that I had a company convert for me a number of years ago. Coming from 8 mm films there are many shot clips as filming reel film was not the same virtually unlimited affair that digital or analog videos are. Anyway each of these short clips has to be cut apart and a transition inserted. A tedious time consuming job that auto detect did nothing for me. With the instability of Premier 8, I need to make auto-backups about every 3 minutes. I can and will talk about the crashes later but right now I would like to tackle the file-naming problem.

Here is what is happening. I created the Project with the name ‘Old Movies Revised DVD 1’ The associated files were created in the same folder as the AVI file by a similar name. Turning on auto-save created an auto save folder and started to place the saved files in it but adding first a one so they are now Old Movies Revised DVD 1-1 through 20. I set the number up from 5 to 20. Just like with the five auto-save started to overwrite them once the appended number reached 20.

I had a crash that forced me to go in and open one of the auto-saved files. The most recent at that time just happen to be –8. That of course caused Premier to set up the usual files inside the auto-save folder and of course it also created a new auto-save folder as well. In this folder the auto-save files are now Old Movies Revised DVD 1-8-1 through 20.

The process continues until I ended up with an auto-save folder with files names Old Movies Revised DVD 1-8-3-1-7-1 through 15.

Premier 8 cannot open any of the 15. The properties tab shows a blank file name and zero bytes and I cannot even delete or rename them. While they look like regular files in the folder to Windows they do not seem to exist.

Again any ideas on why Premier created these apparent illegal files

Thanks

Don Seager

• 4. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                nealeh Level 5

With all that recursive file creation you have most likely hit the 255 character limit for long file names. Move the auto-saves to a folder off of the root directory (e.g. c:\autosaves) before opening it.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, I have never encountered this issue with PrE, or PrPro, but many have with Adobe Encore.

Since a bit of PrE is built around the Sonic AuthorCore modules (the DVD authoring aspect), just like Encore, this could be something to think about: though OS's have accepted spaces for a very long time, the Sonic AuthorCore modules have issues with them. Same for some non-OS specific characters and also long file names. This might not have anything to do with this problem, and Neale might well be on to something with the 255 character limit on the full Path, including the file names. Just something else to think about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                    Dob Seager Level 1

Yes I understand but I didn't actually create all of the recursive file naming, Premier did. I know that the actual file name contains all of the directory names from the root on down and that is likely the cause but preventing that from happening is expecting a lot of computer savy from the average user. I have an extensive background having spent many years as a Senior Engineering Software Analyst and it got by me. I am not sure how Premier was able to open a file on a disk with a complete filename that exceeded the 256 character limit on a Windows system. I will go back and take into consideration all of the folder names and see it it exceeds 256 characters. You are likely right because all of my video is on its own 2 tera byte external hard drive using a lot of sub-folders.

So let me get this straight.  If I need to open a auto-save file with Premier 8 then I should first move it to the folder where the original project file resides.  I cannot rename it to the original project file name because it already exists. Should I delete the original and then rename the moved auto-save file to the original. I guess that if I do that then the original auto-save folder would remain there and auto-save would continue to use it overwriting as required according to the rules. If I am correct then this should prevent all of this recursive folder creation. It does howevetr have the slight risk associated with deleting the original. Not sure why that is needed but as long as I understand it so what. Is this all explained somewhere?

Is there a option to make auto-save just overwrite the original like most programs?

Now to figure out what surgery is needed to delete the 15 bad files from my drive.

Bill as promosed I will send you the details on my system and my crash problems in the next few days,

Thanks to you both

Don Seager  BTW it is Don not Dob. Got to get around to correcting that one of these days. 

• 7. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                      nealeh Level 5

You can copy the auto-save .prel backup file wherever you wish. Double-clicking it will open the project correctly as the .prel contains the actual location (rather than relative) of the source files.

Note that wherever you copy it to, on opening it will create fresh auto-save, preview, encoded and media cache folders in the same folder as that .prel. That is why you are getting the recursive effect, because you are opening the .prel files from each auto-save folder further down the chain. Your simplest solution is to delete (or move) the corrupt .prel, copy the auto-save .prel to your project directory, rename it to your original project name.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                        Dob Seager Level 1

Ok, I can copy the file back into the original project folder if I wish but I must delete the original and rename it to the original or I believe that I will once again get into the recursive-naming problem sooner or later.

I have my own set of feelings about the logic of this file handling but I am ok with it now that I understand it. However I will maintain that Premier 8 should have an internal protection against opening a file with an illegal OS name regardless of the lack of knowledge or the blundering of the user.

As I mentioned before the files are not corrupt, they essentially do not exist to the OS. I cannot copy, rename, and delete them as individual files. The only way I could get rid of them was to delete the entire folder of them. So I guess that the answer to my original question is that no I cannot recover the hour or so work done while Premier was busy creating illegal auto-save files. A good lesson hard learned.

For Bill most of my crash come two ways. One is a consistent C++ Runtime Library error where the cause is that the program is asking the library module to terminate in an unusual way. .I have my ideas about that one but I will hold because I am not looking at the code. The second is a bit more bizarre. Because I am trying to break a lot of short clips and insert transitions I am spending a lot of time working back and forth several frames either side of where I want to make the cut. After a period of doing this, say about 15 minutes when I try and move one frame either way the preview screen will go white. I have to select a clip on one side or the other to get it back but I now know that once I see that a sudden hard crash with no error messages is immanent. Save  and get out if I can but sometimes it is too late. Bang and Premier is out of there. It always restarts ok but only to do the same thing over again in about the same time frame.

Thanks for all your help

Don Seager

• 9. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

For C++ Runtime Errors, this Adobe KB Article might be useful. This is most often caused by an element of the OS. Here is the Google Search on C++ Runtime and Adobe Premiere Elements. Quite a few articles to check into.

For the GUI going white, the first place that I would look would be the video card's driver. Is it the very latest from the ATI or nVidia site?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Bad File Name with Auto-Save in Premier 8
                            Dob Seager Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all the info on C++ runtime errors. I haven't had time to check out the current version of my C++ Runtime Library or the video card driver but I will. I have encountered the version issue of runtime libraries before and it is a difficult one to deal with. It does appear from a couple of the items that Adobe likely compiled and link edited Premier 8 against the latest C++ library and does not download and install the version as part of the install process. That is not always true for all software outfits so you can get caught in a situation where the latest version of the library makes Premier work but breaks something else. There is always the system restore but I might no get both to work on my system.

Actually I am in fact surprised that Premier runs as well as it has on my rather puny system. It is an HP Lap Top (forgot the model but it was cheap) running Windows XP professional SP 3. The processor is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5670 running at 1.8 Gig The video device says it is a Mobile Intel 965 Chipset Family whatever that means. I am not much of a hardware guy. I have 3 hard drives. The internal is a Hitachi 160 GB and two removable, a WD 160 GB and a WD 2 TB. I have all of the video work going to the 2TB drive.

So when I originally said that Premier 8 is unstable I didn't necessarily mean in general but rather on my system. I was not pointing fingers at Premier 8 although it really is huge. However is has some capabilities that so far I cannot find elsewhere.

But I find now that I have unintentionally created really two separate subjects in one thread and that is not a good thing. At this point my questions have been answered thanks to you and Neale and I will continue with any other questions in separate threads. Sorry about that.

Don Seager