2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2010 8:00 AM by 1972DanaT

RoboHelp HTML 7 to 8 Upgrade - cannot view Project (webHelp Pro output) due to hhc file

1972DanaT Level 1

Hi everyone, has anyone experienced an upgrade issue to RoboHelp 8 (from RoboHelp 7 or probably 6, X5, etc.) where no project files rendered in the Project Manager and main window? I checked the bottom status bar in RoboHelp during the upgrade (and, after clicking through the prompt that states "...after the upgrade, the project will not be compatible with older versions of RoboHelp"), the upgrade seemed to 'choke' on the TOC (hhc) file. Initially, the project didn't even render in the main RoboHelp window, but after I renamed the .hhc file, all .htm files, Mapping IDs, Index, etc., imported successfully.

Of course, I created backups of all my projects before upgrading. I recently upgraded from the original Tech Comm Suite to TCS 2.5. This troublesome project's output layout is WebHelp Pro-based. My other, Microsoft HTML Help-based output projects upgraded without any hitches (not sure if this matters, but I thought I'd share).

After some basic research, I discovered that RoboHelp 8's files, such as the .hhc, .hhk, etc. are now XML-based:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <toc version="1.0">
      <properties imagewidth="16" windowstyles="8388610" exwindowstyles="256">
      </properties>

In Notepad, I opened the old Table of Contents (hhc) file from my RoboHelp 7 project and they are HTML-based:

<html>
      <!-- Sitemap 1.0 -->
      <object type="text/site properties">
        <param name="SiteType" value="toc">
        <param name="Image Width" value="16">
        <param name="Window Styles" value="0x800027">
        <param name="ExWindow Styles" value="0x100">
      </object>

Shouldn't the upgrade have successfully 'upgraded' i.e., converted, the old, HTML-based files to XML? I couldn't find a workaround or solution posted anywhere, so I thought I would initiate a discussion. I could rebuild my complex and lengthy TOC, but if there is an easier way to resolve this, please share!