15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 1:58 AM by Tai Lao

Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?

emaini Level 1

I have the book Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 which goes through the Camera Raw 6.1 features

On the section on the crop tool they show a "Crop menu"

I don't see that menu, is the book incorrect or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can get a tool-specific menu for the various toolbar buttons by right-clicking on the main image area after selecting the specific tool, so if you click on the crop-tool up along the top, then right-click on the image you'll see what could be called a Crop menu, but without something more specific as to what the book shows for the menu items, it's impossible to confirm that is what the book is talking about.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
            emaini Level 1

Ok, that was it.

Maybe something changed between beta and release

The book shows the menu hanging directly from the crop tool.

I see now that once your make the crop if you right click you can now get a menu.  The pictures and description in the book do not make that obvious

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?

I don't have a Mac but perhaps it works differently there and the book used that as their example platform?

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                emaini Level 1

I just double checked, the book does in fact use Apple Screens for its examples.

I guess they assumed it would be the same.

I sent an email to the publisher who is suppose to forward to the authors

Thanks for the replies!

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

The Crop menu DOES have a dropdown menu that drops when you click on hold the Crop tool icon. See the little triangle shape on the icon? That indicates there is a dropdown menu when you click and hold. There's also a dropdown menu under the Targeted Adjustment Tool.

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?

The HOLD part I never tried, being from the PC side of things, where mice have right-mouse buttons, instead of having to double-up the functionality of the left button because Macs only had one button for a long time.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                      emaini Level 1

Hello Jeff,

Did not realize it was you until I looked at the cover of the book.

First of all, great book.  I am about 40% through the book reading every page.

Second, yes, what you say is correct.  Holding down the mouse does bring up the menu but that is not intutive from a PC perspective.

I asked a few other people to read page 145 and 146 of your book and to bring up the menu, nobody got it until I showed them what you stated (hold down the mouse button).

Perhaps I am just stupid and maybe these are nits, but,

A) I would have mentioned this fact in the book

B) There is no Option key on the PC, its Shift and Alt (I have seen other books where they mention this when important)

Now I know.  BTW, the little triangle is really little at high res and does not really show up when the button is in focus but that is not your issue, maybe adobe will make the buttons larger in the future or scale to the res of the screen.

To your credit, pages 173-176 do have the Windows PC keystroked for RAW which I have photo copied and taped to my wall

Thank you for the reply

Enzo

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

emaini wrote:

B) There is no Option key on the PC, its Shift and Alt (I have seen other books where they mention this when important)

In the Preface we specifically mention that both Bruce and I are Mac users and rather than try to put BOTH Mac & Win keystrokes in place (which becomes unwieldily) we mention that we only mention the Mac keystrokes can be converted to Wins with this map: Command=Control, Option=Alt. Shift is shift on both...and yes, I did think it was important to have the full command key breakdown for both Mac and Windows in the Controls chapter...

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

The HOLD part I never tried, being from the PC side of things, where mice have right-mouse buttons, instead of having to double-up the functionality of the left button because Macs only had one button for a long time.

That's a pretty old Windows bias view...Macs have had multiple mice buttons for years now (I've used multi-button 3rd party mice for over a decade).

BTW, the context menu has nothing to do with whether or not a drop down menu shows up. Click/hold to display a dropdown is not a Mac only behavior...

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                            Level 4

Did I miss the announcement of the publication and availability of the CS5 edition of the book?  There's nothing in PhotoshopNews…

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                              Level 4

Tai Lao wrote:

Did I miss the announcement of the publication and availability of the CS5 edition of the book?  There's nothing in PhotoshopNews…

Bump

Somehow, a bunch of one-year-old messages got pushed to the top of the list in the ACR forum, burying this and other threads.  (Happens when spammers append their junk to old threads and the moderators delete them.)

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Tai Lao wrote:

The book is shipping...I'm under deadline and haven't posted to PSN since April (if you haven't noticed). I tend not to post to PSN when I'm under deadline...and even when I'm not, PSN isn't a high priority anymore.

• 13. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                                  Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…I'm under deadline and haven't posted to PSN since April (if you haven't noticed)…

Yes, I have noticed.

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…PSN isn't a high priority anymore.

That's understandable.

• 14. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Tai Lao wrote:

That's understandable.

The upside is I'm ALMOST done with Photoshop for Photographers: Ultimate Workshop 2nd Edition along with Martin Evening...but yes, PSN tends to get short shrift these days...(but the Detail panel of ACR 6.x/LR3.x keeps getting better).

:~)

• 15. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Crop Menu?
                                      Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…I'm ALMOST done with Photoshop for Photographers: Ultimate Workshop 2nd Edition along with Martin Evening...but yes, PSN tends to get short shrift these days...(but the Detail panel of ACR 6.x/LR3.x keeps getting better).

That's good news.  Personally, I'm having to skip CS5 for financial reasons, as it requires the purchase of a Mac-intel machine.   I hope that by the time you tackle and finish the 3rd edition, I'll be in a position to afford CS6 and a new Mac. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了