10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 3:10 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Can't capture video in CS5

kaptin111

In Premiere Pro cs5, I can't get the the video capture window to recognize the camera video tape.  My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  My video camera is a Canon XL-H1a. When I am use a firewire cable the computer recognize the camera.  I click on the video capture windows record button in PPcs5, and it starts the camera, but no video in the video capture window.  I check with Canon and all my settings are fine.  I also try another program, Sony Vegas Pro 9, and the same thing happens.  Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

• 2. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

In your Device Manager, check your FW driver. You will want the one with the word "Legacy" in the name. If you are not using the "Legacy" FW driver, change the driver. Reboot, and try again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
            TL2121 Level 1

Bill- I don't know how to do this (change fw driver to legacy driver) and I can assume I'm not the only one- so I am posting here a step by step way to change over to the FW legacy driver- I will try it for myself tonight as ever since I got my new WIN 7 pro cpu I've been having sync issues when capturing HDV either through premiere Pro CS4 or HDV split

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
            2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."

4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.

(below is the link I ripped this from)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875 -aa27-b084537e8da1/

another step by step article is below (I think I like this way better)

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

hope this extra info helps the op

if this is the fix I've been looking for for the past 12 months I'm busting out the pinot noir!

Peace

Tony

• 4. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
              Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Yes, well it could have been expected.I have been using Premiere Pro1.5.1 HDV and Firewire for 5 years with no problems, since installing CS5.5 the HDV Capture did not work but the H.264 mov from the Canon 5D mark II was no problems, I hope your solution works , but,I have given up on the new software as the old still works without issues, Adobe should have sorted this out before releasing CS5.5 .I might come back once you blokes or Adobe sort this out.

I might add the 64bit CS5 seemed not much better doing simple edits etc than the 32 bit software and that is in a Quad Core set up to fit CS5 requirements ?

• 5. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
                Jim_Simon Level 8

it starts the camera, but no video in the video capture window.

Isn't this normal for HDV?

• 6. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes that is normal for HDV.

No preview but a blue screen saying 'playing on video hardware' while capturing.

If you want preview then use HDVsplit.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Make sure the camera is set to HDV and not auto.

• 7. Re: Can't capture video in CS5

That's right Jim, but, I do not even  see the clips in the project window and 5.5 is the latest?  My Premiere Pro 1.5.1 has been working for 6 years without this sort of issue ? The Canon Camcorder has also been captured the same way and again no issues, frankly I do not know what they (Adobe) have done to the new software ?

• 8. Re: Can't capture video in CS5

Well, really Ann, this sort of thing should not be happening in 5.5 , but, it is and it may take the audio, but, no video, not even video into the project window., ?

How bad is that since Premiere Pro 1.5.1 which is now 6 years old does it perfectly each time and still does ?

This really is not your problem , it is ADOBE'S AND WHY IS A NEW ,VERY NEW 5.5 CAUSING THIS SORT OF ISSUE ?

• 9. Re: Can't capture video in CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Bob,

I am among the rare species that still capture DV and HDV, now that most have moved to tapeless cameras. However, the firewire functionality of Premiere and Premiere Pro has always been lacking. Back in the old days, before HDV, most reverted to http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html because it was way better than Premiere. I still use that for DV, because I don't trust the Adobe software. For HDV PP was lacking from the start and the only workable option was http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Adobe never managed to give a preview while capturing, has been negligent is supporting scene detection, just like it was with DV in the old days and is still way behind with supporting 'print to tape' with DV or HDV exports over firewire. It still is not possible to use hardware MPE and firewire at the same time. You still have to switch to software MPE to be able to export to tape, requiring huge amounts of rendering time in comparison to hardware MPE.

IMO Adobe does no longer listen to feature requests about these issues, because I suspect that they consider DV/HDV technology no longer relevant in the current day. I have filed feature requests for a long time, since 5.00 up to and including 5.50, told them that this is a very serious drawback that completely negates the advantages of hardware MPE, that it can be a complete turn-off for some, but no reaction whatsoever. I have mentioned this as the major flaw in every version since 5.00 and nothing is done about it.

I have been told that it is difficult but one would expect that a company like Adobe - together with nVidia - would be able to overcome these difficulties and find a solution for these problems within a period of more than a year, since they were told about it.

I'm disappointed with Adobe's alertness to address these problems.

• 10. Re: Can't capture video in CS5

Hi Harm,

You really do know your stuff. I have been working with HDV/mpeg-2 for 5 years with excellent results, in my opinion on a split screen Sony monitor you cannot tell the difference beween broadcast HD 1920 x 1080 and the Export to Tape from 1.5.1 and a Blu-ray disc out of PE 4 from the mt2 file generated from an Export in PP. It is a pity Adobe has not simplified the HDV on CS5 5.5 , I just sent it back , it is of no advantage to me when the old PP & PE4 works for Blu-Ray even better on our Xeon 64 bit Quad Core.  Checking out the way 5.5 handled H.264 mov out of our Canon 5D mark II there was little advantage in rendering and timeline editing, as a grandson said, "Why is my new Playstation no better than the one 3 years old ?"

Why isn't the CS5 5.5 PP miles ahead of the old software ?

Regards