5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 2:45 PM by Mark C. Dahm

Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem

Berkeleysq2010

Hi,

I have a perfectly functioning copy of Starter Edition 3.2 running on my Windows XP desktop and wanted to upgrade to Elements 8.

I followed the link from 3.2 and downloaded the trial version of Elements to give it a go.

When i launch Elenments 8 it is completely blank, not showing any of my thumnails or tags etc.

Can someone possibly provide a step by step guide on how to get Elements 8 to disply everything my SE 3.2 is (SE 3.2 still working, i have not un-installed it).

Regards,

Mike

• 1. Re: Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem
          Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

Hope this helps:

1. Go into Starter Edition, under the Help menu, select 'System Info'. Under 'Current Catalog', note the catalog location.

2. Go into Photoshop Elements, under the File menu, select Catalog

3. Click the 'Custom Location' button

4. Click the 'Browse' button

5. Navigate to the location indicated in Starter Edition as the location of your Catalog

6. Click the 'Convert' button

7. Select the catalong from Photoshop Album, then click Convert.

-Mark

• 2. Re: Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem
            Berkeleysq2010 Level 1

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your response and help. I hope i can trouble you just once more.

I followed all of your steps but came across the following problem on the last one, number 7;

7. Select the catalog from Photoshop Album, then click Convert

it gets to converting 1% then the following message pops up;

"The conversion operation failed. Try repairing the catalog with the software that created it and retry conversion"

Have you come across this error before and are you able to help me get passed it as i'm really hoping to be able to use Elements 8.

Many thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem

I have run into that. Try again, and see how far you can go.

Once you've gotten as far as you think it'll go, quit the program, and see if there is a converted .psa file in your recyle bin. In some cases, despite the error, you'll find a perfectly working copy of the catalog there; pull it out and give it a try.

-Mark

• 4. Re: Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem
                Berkeleysq2010 Level 1

Hi Mark,

This has not worked. Have i run out of options to try?

Desperate to upgrade but cant bear to lose all my tags etc built up over many years.

Mike

• 5. Re: Starter Edition 3.2 to Elements 8 Upgrade problem

Perhaps the more recent versions of Elements are unable to read catalogs as old as Starter Edition. If you could get your hands on an older version of Elements (like version 3, 4 or 5?), you might be able to successfully convert the catalog, then convert using Elements 8.

I think you may need some guidance from more of an Elements expert than I. One question to ask on that forum is whether or not you could send your catalog to another user, have them upgrade it to version 8, then send that catalog back to you, and have it work. I have older versions of the program, but if it won't work, it's not worth my attempting to convert it for you.

-Mark