4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2006 11:40 AM by mikeyboy80

Working on dual monitors

mikeyboy80
      Hi everyone,

I'm on a Windows SP2 machine (fully patched afaik) with Dreamweaver 8 (fully patched) and dual monitors. I have DW's code view open full-screen in designer view (file structure on the right-hand-side) on the left-hand monitor (main monitor, using DVI) with Firefox/IE/ whatever test browser open on the right (secondary, VGA) - this way I can glance across and see exactly what the code changes I'm making are doing. It's helped my productivity no end, but there's a bit of an odd bug that I can't get rid of...

Whenever the app on the right-hand monitor is active (if I've been highlighting something or navigating 'round the site I'm developing) and I want to go back to DW, my first instinct is to click in the DW window on the other monitor, specifically on the bit of code I want to change; however, if I do this, the DW starts behaving like I've been holding down the left mouse button or the shift key - it starts highlighting blocks of text in the code view, or 'picking up' files if I click on the file structure window. It's really annoying, because if the part of the code that I want to edit becomes highlighted this way, I end up having to click elsewhere on the document about 5 or 6 times before DW goes back to normal, otherwise the entire line of code gets highlighted again if I click where I want to start typing.

The only way around it that I've been able to find is to alt-tab between apps, but that kinda defeats the object of having dual monitors.

This happens on my work PC too, so I know it's not a problem with my specific machine or graphics card... interestingly enough, I've talked to others on nigh-identical setups to my work PC, and while some share my problem, others don't... their DW works just fine.

Is there anyone out there who knows what might be going on and above all how it could be fixed?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Working on dual monitors
          Level 1
          Do you think that it is possible a problem with dual monitor's bad driver, no? Not sure what is going on, particularly on the side of Windows in your case, because I am using Mac. So, i can't really say much at this point.

You might want to take a look at your dual monitor's manufacturer for driver update or something like. Just a suggestion.
          • 2. Working on dual monitors
            mikeyboy80 Level 1
            Hi DWD,

I did think this for a while, but it's not just me that's having the problem. At home I use a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. At work I use a native Intel chipset on a 3GHZ Dell Optiplex.

I get the same error on both machines.

I also have friends who develop on PCs, one who uses a Dell like my work machine but more powerful and with a dedicated graphics card (not the on-board one) - he gets this error, but others in his office running on very similar specced machines (all with dual monitors) don't.

I'm thinking this is more a bug in the DW code. I might try altering my view layout from designer to coder and see if that makes a difference.
            *EDIT: Nope, didn't do a thing*

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
            • 3. Re: Working on dual monitors
              Level 7
              "mikeyboy80" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:ehdn78$5ol$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi DWD,
              >
              > I did think this for a while, but it's not just me that's having the
              problem.
              > At home I use a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro on an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. At
              work I
              > use a native Intel chipset on a 3GHZ Dell Optiplex.
              >
              > I get the same error on both machines.
              >
              > I also have friends who develop on PCs, one who uses a Dell like my work
              > machine but more powerful and with a dedicated graphics card (not the
              on-board
              > one) - he gets this error, but others in his office running on very
              similar
              > specced machines (all with dual monitors) don't.
              >
              > I'm thinking this is more a bug in the DW code. I might try altering my
              view
              > layout from designer to coder and see if that makes a difference.
              >
              > Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried swapping the monitor configuration
              (left/right)?

I had grief setting up my dual monitor configuration with an Intel on-board
              and Radeon 9600 until I updated the Intel on-board driver. This was in
              W2K/SP4.

Just a thought.

Jim

• 4. Re: Working on dual monitors
                mikeyboy80 Level 1
                Hi Jim,

just tried it... not a sausage. I'm kinda resigned to clicking around in frustration now...