2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 9:47 AM by Dave Hogue

Symbol Properties panel not updating or refreshing

Dave Hogue Level 2

Y'all,

I'm running FW CS5 under Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), and my Symbol Properties panel has stopped updating when I select a symbol to modify. I have to close and re-open the Symbol Properties panel to force it to refresh.

If I have the panel open and select a symbol on the page, the panel remains blank.

If I have edited a symbol then deselected it, that symbol's properties remain visible in the Symbol Properties panel after the symbol is deselected.

If I have edited a symbol then select another symbol, the first symbol's properties remain visible in the panel and it does not update to show the properties of the newly selected symbol.

In all cases I must close and re-open the Symbol properties panel to force it to refresh and update.

I've also noticed two other peculiar refresh problems lately - when the rulers are visible and I either zoom in / zoom out on the document or change the application window size, the top ruler often vanishes. I have to minimize then maximize the Fireworks application window to force a refresh and get the rulers to re-appear.

Finally, the little document info boxes at the lower right corner of the canvas showing document size and zoom level often go blank or vanish when I either zoom in / zoom out on the document or change the application window size. I have to minimize then maximize the Fireworks application window to force a refresh and get the info boxes to re-appear.

It seems that the problem may be related to some larger Fireworks screen refresh problem. It did not behave this way when first installed - it began happening recently, and the only thing that has changed was a minor update to all of the CS5 design tools (including FW) about the way that image metadata is handled.

Is anyone else experiencing odd refresh errors? Is it possible that an extension could cause this?

Any help and advice would be appreciated, because it has become really cumbersome to use component symbols.

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Symbol Properties panel not updating or refreshing
          Dave Hogue Level 2

Another addition:

When a symbol has been selected and the properties appear in the panel, then the symbol is deselected and the properties are STILL present in the panel, if you edit the properties in the panel it will still modify the symbol even if that symbol is no longer selected and even if you are in a different page in the document!

The symbol properties panel is not releasing a symbol when it is deselected - I must close and re-open the panel to release the symbol and refresh the panel.

This is getting weirder and more difficult to work with.

Does the Creative Suite have a "repair installation" option that so I don't need to deactivate, uninstall, and reinstall everything? I don't have the time for this right now...

• 2. Re: Symbol Properties panel not updating or refreshing
            Dave Hogue Level 2

After digging around and looking at what has been updated or installed on my computer since these weird refresh problems began, I may have identified a possible cause.

Adobe installs the Java runtime with the Creative Suite (I'm not sure why, but it's there), and a few weeks ago the 1.6.20 update installed itself, but it failed multiple times before installing, then Windows 7 informed me that a component was improperly installed with the incorrect privileges. Last night the 1.6.21 update installed itself without any errors, and this morning Fireworks seems to be working normally again.

I'll keep monitoring FW for weird refresh problems, and if they return I'll post an update. It is possible that the 1.6.20 update broke something that was fixed by the 1.6.21 update.

Can anyone tell me why the CS programs require Java and what it is used for?

Thanks,

Dave